The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#71972 - 11/09/04 12:37 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Carolyn,

Ditto to every one of Vicki's questions.

You were much discussed in my writer's meeting over the weekend. Since I am in no hurry to read because I have no book in publication right now I will go to B&N later to buy a copy, but one of the writers is going to Amazon for her copy because her book is coming out soon. Just thought you might like to know.

Also, I would like to hear you elaborate a little more on the "Branding" issue.
smile

#71973 - 11/09/04 02:37 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Carolyn, I saw your lovely poem on Long Story Short. I love that site. I have had a few stories/poems on there. It's packed with information too.

Do you write a lot of poetry? I also visited your website and plan to go back and check it out further.
Louisa

#71974 - 11/09/04 07:46 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Carolyn Howard-Johnson Offline

Loc: LA, CA, USA
Boomer Women Authors:
Anyone here interested in participating in a way to promote one another's work (and our own)--all FREE--on Amazon. It's a great way for groups like these with a similar interest to get the word out there. I notice that we have lots of writers with published books on the links page as members. Each of you could do a Listmania, including each other's books. We would need at least four to participate because Listmania requires three books for each list and, it seems only fair to list three in addition to our own! (-:
Best,

#71975 - 11/09/04 07:56 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Carolyn, I would be interested. Those of you with books, send me your titles and I'll create a list.

Send me your book info to my e-mail address at vicki@vickimtaylor.com

#71976 - 11/10/04 04:10 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I think book marks are great promotional tools. They are inexpensive to reproduce. Be sure to include book cover art which will show your title, contact information, web address, ISBN #, publisher, and a blurb to make people want to read more. Don't forget to use both sides.

#71979 - 11/11/04 05:41 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Carolyn,
I write a lot of personal essays but I love to read in the horror genre. My dream is to write a horror novel someday. But I have begun to find some success with my essays.
My question to you is; Do you think it's harmful for a writer to go off in different directions with their writing? Is this what you meant by branding?

#71980 - 11/11/04 06:44 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Carolyn, you're gonna laugh at this, but I can't help asking...what did your book publisher do for you? I don't mean anything derogatory by this comment. I'm curious to know what one can expect from a publisher and I'm sure it depends on the publishing company.

I'm on page 72 of your book and you have tons of suggestions for writers to jump start the process before finishing a book. Thanks for all the ideas swimming around in my head. Now all I need time to follow through with all of them. [Eek!]

Anyway, what did STAR do for you?

#71981 - 11/12/04 04:59 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Dear Louisa:
Louise, you said, love writing nostalgic stories. "I'm in two anthologies (self-published by my writing group)I'm in the slow process of writing my own first book. It will be a collection of essays, poetry and photos - things I remember about growing up in the 50s and 60s."

Oh, we have so much in common. YOu'll have to consider reading my HARKENING: A COLLECTION OF STORIES REMEMBERED. I started with anthologies, too, and this book is a collection of one family's memories that ties itself into a kind of novel-like bow at the end. It explores the issue of truth in fiction and fiction in truth! And it is the result of "just writing memories."

I'll watch for your other posts!

#71982 - 11/12/04 05:05 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Dear Sher:
You said, "However, other than having my work published for free (with a short bio and link to my site), I'm beginning to realize there just isn't a market for my work.

Should I try to write with becoming published as my main goal? And how in the world do I know what that magic topic would be? I write because I have to, because I love it and because it's cheaper than therapy. But I want to see my name in print at some point in this life other than in my obituary."

Oh, Sher, I think you're getting discouraged way too early. The best poets and writers got started publishing for "free." It has a long reputable tradition in the literary world--almost none of those literary and poetry journals pay out dollars excepting for their contests. If you've been published at all, that is an affirmation of your work.

Having said that, of course write for yourself. But doesn't that include costantly working at improving your craft. So has you get "craftier" you might end up selling something. I sold my first poem only a couple of months ago--you know, actual DOLLARS. But many have been published in very fine journals. I consider that "writing for myself" and then, with luck (and lots of that trying-not-to-get-discouraged business called perserverance) I just may "sell" a second poem and then a third. By the way, some of the poems I've "given" away have carry far more prestige with the journal names than the one that paid! Ha!
Best,

#71983 - 11/12/04 05:09 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Smile:
You said, ". A writer friend is trying to find a copy of your book for our meeting tomorrow."

It won't happen. It's way too early to be in many bookstores. BN is still in the "acceptance" process. She could get it fast by downloading the e-book (http://ebookad.com ) for $9. and printing it out! (-:

Sorry about that. FRUGAL is, unlike my other books, self-published. That is part of the delay. Anyone want to discuss why I would self-pbublish when I "have" a publisher who would do it for me? LOL> There are LOTS of very good reasons.

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved