The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 214 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#71962 - 11/07/04 08:22 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
quote:
Originally posted by Carolyn Howard-Johnson:
if I registered everything I wrote, I would have spend literally thousands in copyright fees.

### You can register up to TEN things at once as a "collection of your works" for $30 so it's really pretty cheap unless you do billions of things. And of course it's deductible.

Plus, even if I thought I had a 99% chance of winning I would have to find a lawyer who would take it on contingency and he'd have to decide whether or not he would make enough money to take it on IF he won, or I'd have to dig up the funds to pay a lawyer by the case or by the hour. You know what???? That just isn't going to happen. ;

#### That's my point. If you register your copyright, the infringement is a Federal Crime. The investigation and the lawyers are paid by the U.S. Government. And you are not limited to actual damages as you are in Unregistered copyright cases. If the copyright is registered you can get royalties on whatever they made from your work as well as punitive damages.
I don't know the particulars of the Lion King case, but even Disney almost alays BUYS Registered material and STEALS Unregistered material. They know they have enough lawyers to outlast anyone who has NOT registered, but even Disney doesn't have as many lawywers as the U.S. Govt.

Just some adivce from someone who has learned the hard way.
smile
P.S. I certainly agree with you that most new writers worry far too much about plagarism and far too little about writing well enough for someone to want to steal their work.

[ November 07, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#71963 - 11/07/04 04:52 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Welcome Carolyn, I've been away on vacation and just got back. What a great surprise it was to find you in the forum! I've been writing most of my life, but it's only been in the past few years that I've been doing anything with it. I write feature stories for a local newspaper, freelance. I enjoy writing short stories and poetry more. Since a lot of it ends up online, either in an ezine or on my own website, I like what you said about writing for "free."

I love writing nostalgic stories. I'm in two anthologies (self-published by my writing group)I'm in the slow process of writing my own first book. It will be a collection of essays, poetry and photos - things I remember about growing up in the 50s and 60s.

As soon as I'm unpacked, I'll have lots of questions for you, I'm sure. [Smile] I plan to visit your website and also to get a copy of Frugal.

Thanks for being with us.
Louisa

#71964 - 11/07/04 05:09 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
Hi there and thanks so much for answering our questions,

Here's mine!

I write what I like to write without ever giving any thought as to whether it might be something suited for publication. I'm self-centered that way. [Big Grin] However, other than having my work published for free (with a short bio and link to my site), I'm beginning to realize there just isn't a market for my work.

Should I try to write with becoming published as my main goal? And how in the world do I know what that magic topic would be? I write because I have to, because I love it and because it's cheaper than therapy. But I want to see my name in print at some point in this life other than in my obituary. [Razz]

#71965 - 11/07/04 10:55 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Carolyn Howard-Johnson Offline

Loc: LA, CA, USA
Dear All:
Just checking in. It's my husband's birthday so we're going to a movie and dinner. I'll check with you all tomorrow. (-:

#71966 - 11/08/04 03:50 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi Carolyn,
Wish your hubby a happy birthday for us!

I'm just seeking an opinion on this: What do you think of pen names?

#71967 - 11/08/04 04:15 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yuhoooo....Ms C! Welcome girl!

I've just returned from my trip to Martha's Vineyard, (compliments of QueenMe's contest) and look what I found! So glad you are here to spirit us on and share your sage wisdom.

I have your book (e-book) and encourage everyone to get a copy. We are so fortunate to be able to benefit from your research and hard work...

I look forward to reading the guidance given here and of course, wanted to say welcome!

JJ

#71968 - 11/08/04 11:51 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Boomer Writers:

"Our B&N didn't have a copy of the book so I haven't read what it actually says. Maybe it advises you do that during the development of a book or something. ??"

I hope you won't let BN dissuade you from buying the book--they are just sooooo slow. Hustle on over to Amazon.com. It helps and authors' ratings to have purchasers go there, anyway (see FRUGAL's chaptr on how to use Amazon's perks in promoting!)
Regarding the mailing yourself thing. Actually this advice is given to help get people over the stultifying fear of plagiarism. Really, plagiarism isn't nearly the problem everyone has been frightened into thinking it is! Once you're actually published, your publisher will--in almost every case--register your book for you formally.

Let's take on another subject. That of "branding." Everyone know what that is? How to use it in life and business? Why it is better than just "trying to sell books?" [Roll Eyes]

Happy Monday everyone!!

#71969 - 11/08/04 11:54 PM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Dear Jaw Jaw and All:
Nice to hear from you. Actually, I owe you a round of thanks--publicly. J.J. suggested BWS to me. We "found" each other on the net and I'm so glad to know her. This kind of networking is what promotion of any kind is all about.

#71970 - 11/09/04 12:00 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson

One of you asked, "What do you think of pen names?"

Pen names are a useful way to "brand" your writing, if it is very disparate. Say, you write educational tomes and red-hot love stories, too. It might be best to separate one "business" from another. Many do it to "improve" their names--Faith Popcorn is an extreme example and, although, it worked for her I find it VERY distracting. Others do it because they have a privacy issue (there goes that "fear" thing getting the way of writers, again).

I think that--generally speaking--one's writing will all hang together under one name and that even when they are dissimilar (an advice book on writing like Bird by Bird and that same author's literary work) one will sometimes work to "sell" another one. (My sales on This is the Place have revived a bit since FRUGAL came out.) In my opinion, authors should examine their motives for using a pen name very carefully and THEN carefully consider how it will effect their promotional efforts before they do it. Once decided, and one's book is published, it's hard to regain lost ground if that should be the net effect.

Best,

#71971 - 11/09/04 12:23 AM Re: Carolyn Howard-Johnson
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Welcome, Carolyn, I apologize for being late to the discussion. I attended a writers' conference over the weekend and had a great time.

I'm looking forward to reading your book. I had done some promotional research and found a link to your site. I intended to purchase your book then but getting ready for the conference took more time than I had. I'm glad I hesitated now, because I can take advantage of your great offer of a sample media kit. Thank you so much.

I have a new novel coming out in late 2005/early 2006 and have just finished writing my marketing plan. The one item that I'm not looking forward to is writing press releases. I'm not very good at writing them. They don't 'pop' enough nor do they express any excitement. Do you address press releases in your book? Do you suggest any other places to submit press releases other than prweb and netread?

Finally, all good promotion is going to cost money, even the most frugal of promotion. What types of promotion do you recommend for those of us who don't have lots of $ to spend? Should we purchase the postcards, business cards, and book marks? Should we create the flyers and brochures? Where would our money be best spent?

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved