The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 128 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#69253 - 08/18/04 01:09 AM Re: doing things alone?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
You guessed it right, Dotsie. Thank you Maggie for the prayers.

I was reading Reader's Digest today when I stumbled upon this, or my interpretation:

Wisdumb= Let someone buy you fish/meal.

Wisdom= Let someone teach you how to fish.

That's going to be the topic at dinner tonight.

Thanks,

Sheree [Roll Eyes]

#69254 - 05/22/05 06:50 PM Re: doing things alone?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
BTW, I want to write a book about loneliness. It seems to be one of the most painful of human conditions. I don't know any cures, but I've been researching. However, I have found very little about it in the medical literature, online or at amazon
=========================
Slim
I dont know if youve read my post aboout it but the biggest cause of suicide in Australia is Post Divorce Trauma and its almost exclusively male suicides. A body count equal to the national road toll . So thats pain. How much of that is loneliness I really don't know.
Try the website DIDs. They may be useful for your book.
Also try the suicide studies department at Griffith University in Australia.

#69255 - 05/23/05 07:45 AM Re: doing things alone?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
If I'm alone too much it seems to be compounded and I become reclusive. I have to watch myself or I would end up lonely.

Meredith, it's the same with me. I'm not a follower and women seem to gravitate toward me. I love it because I love women but don't call me and expect me to have long phone conversations with you! That becomes too crowded for my taste.

#69256 - 05/23/05 06:30 AM Re: doing things alone?
ariadne54 Offline

Loc: WV
Dianne, I also tend to become reclusive. But, I also feel like Sugaree in that I cherish my freedom and privacy, and can't imagine another figure wandering around in my space! I'm not sure I could love any man enough to give up my privacy, accommodating their interests and needs, cleaning, fetching, keeping myself presentable! Today, for instance, I lollygagged, took my good ol' time switching over my winter/summer wardrobes while taking breaks to watch movies and work on my art.
It was only a couple of months ago that I was giving up every free weekend minute to be with a man...(driving thru snowstorms!), and fretting about being perfect for him. Now, I am regaining my "solo bliss!"
ARI

#69257 - 05/23/05 12:47 PM Re: doing things alone?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
sparticuss, this is AT LEAST the third time you've mentioned that Ozzie suicide stat, maybe the fourth, so now I need to ask you why it appears so often in your writing.

Are you suicidal? Is your foray into this crowd of women a cry for help?

Or are you so bleeping freeping angry at your divorce that you're trying to scream, "Look at me! I could be that statistic, and does anyone give a crap?"

Of course, your tone is fairly rational and non-recriminatory, but that doesn't preclude the presence of emotion.

Because my rational brain tells me that someone does not continually pepper their conversation with the exact same suicide statistic, over and over, unless there's a damn good reason.

[ May 23, 2005, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: meredithbead ]

#69258 - 05/23/05 01:00 PM Re: doing things alone?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
and I also know that your presence here is in some way because you're seeking validation from us, although I haven't yet pinpointed why. Forgive my slowness here; I just had an 18-hour work day.

#69259 - 05/24/05 05:12 AM Re: doing things alone?
ariadne54 Offline

Loc: WV
I went to a simple search on MSN and typed in Sparticuss, and he appears on many, many discussion forums, many of which are women's sites. The women really trashed him on one site, and he was banned on another...Hmmm.
ARI

#69260 - 05/24/05 05:47 AM Re: doing things alone?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I warned you ladies that Sparticuss was no lady and I meant it genetically. Those are mens ideas and thoughts if I ever heard them and as most of you know I hear plenty of them, thoughts I mean. Get lost interloper find a forum with men to bother we women don't need you here.... [Cool] [Mad]

#69261 - 06/13/05 03:21 AM Re: doing things alone?
Katie D Offline

Loc: Rochester New York
Doing things alone doesn't really bother me very much. I have found that I like my life the way it is now, especially my houses. Chatty Lady I understand completely. I really don't want to be cleaning after someone any more!

I can walk into a place and in one glance tell you if a man lives there! lol

I was married for 26 years to a man who wasn't there even when he was. I came to enjoy my alone times and maybe that is why I still relish them to this day.

I wouldn't mind having friends who would go and do the same things I enjoy, but if I had to pick...tell you what, I would rather have a gf than a man as my activity partner.

#69262 - 10/22/05 12:06 AM Re: doing things alone?
Vannie Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I do not really have a problem with doing things alone. However, I do not like that I have to do so many things alone. It is not about being with a man, it is about being with a person. I love going to Broadway shows (I live near New York)however, in the past I found that people are enthusiastic and say "yes" to the idea of going to a show but "no" to actually following throuh and buying a theater ticket. For years I have been going to the 2:00 P.M. matinees at least every other month and love it. I often eat before or after the show and am very comfortable with that. In my town I go to most Museum functions alone, I stay a short time, have some nibbles, talk to a few people and leave.

Of course, I would rather have someone with me. But sometimes if you wait for that you end up missing the good stuff.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved