The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 70 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#68955 - 06/12/06 01:49 AM Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Please take heed...this situation has been happening all to often now and it usually goes unreported to the media. These busy groomers will wash your precious dog and throw them into a metal cage with a dryer turned on full force and walk away to do another dog or even two. These dryers get very hot and the poor dog has no where to go. A beautiuful very little Lasa Apso in New York was left in one of these hellish contraptions unattended to and when someone finally checked on her, she was DEAD. An autopsy stated she died of extreme heat exhaustion and that it must have been a miserable way to die. Don't kid yourself all the groomers with these machines use them and the animals are just left there, they are time savers for the groomers who over book in order to make the big bucks. There are NO qualification to say you are a groomer, no tests they need to take, no licensing to worry about, so anyone can say they're a groomer. If you must use a groomer insist they DO NOT use the drying cage but dry with a hand dryer. Tell them the dog has a heart condition or asthma, what ever you need to say to save your animal this fate. Or take the dogs to Petco or PetSmart where they groom in front of a glass and you can watch them. I have been investigating this for some time now for an article and was shocked to find so many owners that have suffered a loss like this. They might try to say their drying cage is safe and not too hot, well just put yourself in the animals place, in a enclosed small space with hot air blowing into that space....If you love your pet please be careful and don't trust what the groomers say about these, hopefully, soon to be discontinued cages. [Mad]

[ June 17, 2006, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#68956 - 06/12/06 02:13 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Chatty,
I will tell my daughter about this she takes her little yorkie to a groomer to have her washed and cut . Thanks for this very inportant tip. What sad new though about that poor dog

[ June 11, 2006, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Renee ]

#68957 - 06/12/06 05:22 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Pam R. Offline

Chatty, I lost my beautiful bichon in 2003 after a grooming, but not quite the same way. She was cut with a razor or scissor and developed a staph infection at the site of the wound two weeks later. The groomer never even told us about the cut. The vet tried so very hard to keep from having to put her down but she was 15 and her immune system was compromised simply due to her age. It was awful. She was in pain and truly suffered at the end. We still cry over our loss that we feel was not necessary. My son in law has now learned to groom their new bichon himself. She looks so cute and they refuse to send her to a groomer. I will certainly pass along your story to all I know that use groomers. Thank you.

#68958 - 06/12/06 01:02 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Oh, Chatty, that's so sad! This is my first time in this forum since I didn't have a dog til today. Well, my daughter has a new dog- a chow/mastiff?? Her boyfriend gave it to her. He said that his chow got away and went into a yard where there was a Mastiff and up came the pups.

Now what? LOL! I had no idea all of those things I've read here thus far can happen. I'll have to read back further and then come at you for questions. DO NOT LAUGH @ Me:)

#68959 - 06/13/06 12:15 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

You know me better than that Sugaree. We have been exchanging emails now for quite awhile. We are all novices at something and very good at something else. I ask questions of those knowing more than I about many topics and am happy to offer advice to anyone asking it of me. One thing about a chow/mastiff mix you need a garden hose and large contained to wash them in, you can trim them with a rake type brush that gets rid of all the narls in the fur and thins it out. No groomers needed....Take the dog to the vet once a month and have its nails clipped.

#68960 - 06/13/06 01:10 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Chatty.
I just took my 2 cockers for their grooming on Friday and the groomer asked me to sign a petition while I was there...it seems Pennsylvania has a bill on the table to require all dog groomers to be certified by the state and licensed before they can groom animals.the groomer has to take a 5 month course and be recertified every few years...i think it's a spectacular idea...so I refused to sign her petition against it...the news stations and papers in Philadelphia have done quite a few investigative reports about abuse and neglect by these groomers...hopefully this bill will pass and other states will follow suit...the fact that my groomer was so upset makes me not want to take my little guys back to her....it's so scary!!!

#68961 - 06/13/06 02:54 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Yes that would make me worry. I found out that some of the groomers here were a bus drivers, a hair stylist who burnt a patron with dye and her license was taken away, a couple of bored housewives NOT one single person actually attended school for this. We are intrusting our babies to inexperienced and sometimes dangerous people who are out for a fast buck and nothing more. The mameing and/or death of peoples pets is not a rare occurance, it happens frequently. Like I said take them where you can stay and watch like the pet stores, Petco and PetSmart.If they have nothing to hide they won't mind. Oh and be especially wary of those mobile groomers.

[ June 12, 2006, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#68962 - 06/13/06 07:15 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Okay, Okay, BoomerGroomer. I will ask. For now, my daughter seems to have it. However, I am getting scared cause she is leaving to go back to college. That means 'me' will be pups' mommie, right.

I have to admit, I do find myself checking on her a lot, making sure he water's clean/filled and even playing with her. I think I'm falling in dog love! Not so bad. She is very cute but from the sounds of it, this is gonna be a huge doggie.

A garden hose? A huge pail? Whoa! That's too much too fast right now. Yikes!

I would hate so take her to some idiot as you all have described above so I shall ask before heading off to one of those groomers.

This pup is 7 wks so is it time for the shots and nueter things? Is it best to nueter? Am I spelling that right? Nueter seems cruel and painful.

#68963 - 06/14/06 02:59 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Best time to have a dog neutered is as early as the vet will do it, call and ask a VET! You spay a female around 3 months, that I know for sure. You can always put the pooch in the bathtub but make sure you don't use too much shampoo (use baby shampoo) and be sure you rinse him really good over and over until you're sure he's free from soap. Other wise he'll get itchy and scratch himself raw. Its not so hard, really! My son has a huge Mastiff and he takes her to the car wash, "NO" just kidding, he uses the hose on his backyard patio.

[ June 13, 2006, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#68964 - 06/15/06 03:56 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

The neighbor's pups roamed down here to visit. My daughter wanted one of those pups but I was too afraid since they are pitbulls.

Many have told me that it is better to have a male dog. (is that true?) Well, since these pups are only 3mos, I considered having one of the cute little Lousiana Red Clay dirt colored animals. I asked my daughter if they were male or female. She said they are both female. So, I said, well, that other one has a long teet in the back then. That's when my daughter looked and realized that one is a boy. LOL. My girlfriend cracked up!

#68965 - 06/15/06 05:04 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Kentj1020 Offline

The vet I work with says dogs are not neutered or spayed before 6 months of age. I also bathe my dog at home regularly, although NEVER with baby shampoo. Baby shampoo is too drying for dogs and if bathed regularly in it, can be the CAUSE of itching due to dry skin.

#68966 - 06/15/06 05:16 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Kentj1020 Offline

And by the way, I am a professional groomer of 25 years. I, along with several others, were privy to this conversation when it was copied into a listserv. I think you brought up some excellent points for pet owners to cconsider when deciding upon a choice of a groomer, but I took exception to the manner in which you labeled ALL groomers as irresponsible. While you state that you have "researched the topic" at length for some supposed article, I would be interested to read this "writer's" unbiased opinion and read an article that was fairly balanced in order to give the public ALL the information in which to form an opinion. I have yet to read any article which states that ALL daycares are dangerous to children, and challenge anyone to prove to that ALL groomers are a danger to pets.

#68967 - 06/15/06 05:31 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Scissorart Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I had to reply to this. Not all groomers use cage dryers with a heat setting. I am a mobile groomer with 6 years experience (I did not go to school and am not certified, however one can do this)and no I wasn't a bored housewife when I started. I happen to have a great love for dogs and do very well with them. Being a mobile groomer I do not cage dry, I do hand dry. Where I have worked in the past the dryers for cages did not have heat settings. Some do. Groomers do their best to take care of the dogs. And for everyone's information I have worked at a Pet something and just because they have windows up front doesn't make them the best place to go. Use your own judgement and go by how you comfortable feel. They do not have windows in the back (at least not where I was) so you can't see them drying the dogs anyway. You can bathe a dog in a container, however it is easier just to use a sprayer with a dog shampoo (for ph balance). A hose with no sprayer will take awhile to get all the shampoo out. Dogs should NOT be spayed until they are 6 months of age. Some vets will nueter males as early as 5 months. I think that is a preference thing. I have worked for 2 vets. Also, I do not recommend staring at your dog through a Petsmart window while it is being groomed. If the dog sees you it will get excited and not want to stay still making an accident more likely to happen. As far as I am concerned the lady who started this post is giving advice with no credentials or job related experience, unless I am unaware of them making her the same than those she is accusing.

#68968 - 06/15/06 05:41 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Scissorart Offline

Also, usually whether they go in a dryer depends on their breed and haircut. If you really have an issue with this, just talk to your groomer and tell her your concerns. Some of us have been grooming for a long time and not every groomer is doing things the wrong way. You should talk to your personal groomer about this. Just because a groomer is not certified is no reason to not use them. Some groomers out there have more experience under their belt than certified groomers. You really need to evaluate how your groomer does and how comfortable you are with them.

#68969 - 06/15/06 05:44 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Loc: Missouri
Chatty Lady, I do understand your worry, but what you speak is far from the truth and you need to investigate a little deeper. Might I suggest visiting www.groomers.com where you will find literally hundreds or more of very compassionate caring groomers. I am a member of that group and we are just a small percentage of other wonderful groomers around the world. All groomers do not use dryer cages, I'm not even sure what metal box your talking about unless your talking about stainless steel cages like most vet clinics have. I in fact use a Stanly blower fan to help dry dogs, there is absolutely no heat but I do sometimes "in the winter" place a small space heater in the general vacinity of that fan if I see any shivering as I don't want my 4-legged customers to be uncomfortable at all. But if you have ever hand dried a 60 pound chow you would see it isn't just a time saver but it saves both you and the dogs sanity, no dog wants to spend hours on my grooming table, even the ones that love to wash my face as I groom them [Smile] It isn't about money, and not all groomers are money hungry, in fact I know none that are. We have the pets best interests at heart. We are animal LOVERS FIRST, groomers second.

Yes there are a few bad apples as you WILL find in ANY and ALL professions!!! Next you will say, never go to the hospital for any reason, extract your own apendix if you have to because you know I read that once a nurse in a hospital gave someone a lethal dose of morphine and they died! That's as silly as telling people that ALL groomers do this or ALL groomers do that. If anyone has any questions your groomer would be happy to answer your questions and if they aren't THEN it is time to find a new groomer. PetSmart or Petco may seem like wonderful little places where you can watch your pet being groomed like fish in a fishbowl, but most of those groomers are overworked and underpaid, the stress in most of those corporate shops is amazing, and they recieve very little training before they begin as groomer. Of course I wouldn't generalize and say ALL of those places are bad, but like I said I do visit a board of hundreds of groomers and they have a lot to say.

I have been grooming for 17 years. Do I have a certificate?? Nope, I was aprentice trained. Trained by a groomer who had been grooming 35 years. I have been head of 2 very large grooming/kennel facilities, I have worked for numerous shops as I have moved a couple of times and have learned something new and offered my own knowledge every place I've been, I have not once worked for or with a licensed groomer. If you want to see my work go to my homepage www.canine-design.com So what is all that worth without a piece of paper? I guess it all depends on who you ask. Would you rather have a certified graduate of a grooming school that gives 4 weeks of training groom your pet, or have a 17 year veteran who has seen and done it all, knows how to handle all types of skin and coat problems, as well as behavioral issues groom him or her? If this law gets passed all over people like me and several hundred of my friends all over will lose their jobs, and businesses because they didn't hand over 10,000 or so to a school for a 4 - 6 week course to get that silly piece of paper.

Go ahead and wash your chow mix with a garden hose and use that rake "that BTW doesn't work well and most groomers don't even use them" bathe and brush and when you can't get to the skin, your dog gets hotspots that the flys find to hatch their young and you have a nice healthy batch of maggots going there. You won't be taking it to the groomers it will be the vet who will treat your dog, and ask why didn't you have your dog groomed PROFESSIONALLY?????

#68970 - 06/15/06 05:46 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Annie_NY Offline

Loc: New York
I too am a groomer, and would be happy to answer any questions about grooming. If you talk to your groomer, she or he would be happy to explain how they dry.
As Scissorat said, Pet Somethings only let you see what happens out FRONT. If you would like to watched your dog be groomed, ask your groomer. Most groomers will be happy for you to watch, but if you dog acts up seeing 'mommy' they might have you look from behind a corner.

#68971 - 06/15/06 05:52 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Scissorart Offline

Thank you Caninedesign and Annie. Excellent.

[ June 14, 2006, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Scissorart ]

#68972 - 06/15/06 05:53 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Sadie Offline

Well, I shampoo my yorkie in the bath tub for year and my daughter cut her hair and she did fine because she has seizures and we could not take her to the groomer she would get so upset . She did just fine when we gave her a bath . She did not have and infections at all . So all depends I guess

I think this up to the pet owner what he or she would like to do . Pro and cons on this one . There are good groomers like you Canine and there are bad ones out there .

Just my thoughts

#68973 - 06/15/06 05:56 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
CanineDesign
I just visited your homepage and those pets are adorable. I fell in love with Daisy, (who wouldn't?) and Beau looks like some sort of doll! How beautiful the pictures were. Did you groom all of these pets?

Welcome to all the newbees...JJ

#68974 - 06/15/06 06:01 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Scissorart Offline

There is a difference when it comes to seizures and getting stressed. Something like that should probably be discussed with your vet and options weighed. There is also a big difference between a chow coat and a yorkie coat. As well as a house dog and an outside dog- that is much more prone to getting hotspots.

[ June 14, 2006, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Scissorart ]

#68975 - 06/15/06 06:08 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Kentj1020 Offline

I'm sorry, Renee. I thought your previous post on this thread stated that your daughter has been taking her yorkie to the groomer?

There is nothing wrong with bathing or trimming your pet at home. I don't think that is the point that any of my fellow groomers are trying to make. They are not trying to CONVINCE anyone that they should ONLY use a groomer. They are simply stating that the originator of this post was labeling ALL groomers as being irresponsible with drying of pets.

#68976 - 06/15/06 06:35 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Thank you, yes I did groom all of those pets, I am the shop owner and my only employee [Smile] Beau holds a special place in my heart. He was born on the same exact day as my 17 year old son. Very old for a Bichon, he is a sweetie as are most of my clients.

Many people successfully groom their pets at home, and bravo to them!!! In fact several of us became groomers because we also groomed our pets and went from there. I started grooming when I was about 13 and my mother bought a pair of clippers at a garage sale. My mom would take my schnauzer to the groomer and after I had a pattern to go by I kept her groomed. But I also see many people with dogs with very thick hard to work with hair like a chow, they brush and brush but the hair is still matted at skin level, though the owner "thinks" the dog is brushed out because the hair on top doesn't look tangled. I always tell my customers, if you can't part the hair and SEE the skin, it isn't brushed out. Those are the dogs that can easily get skin infections and yes even maggots without the owner even knowing it. A coat like that is best left to the professionals, or come to the groomers lounge and read how to get that undercoat out successfully yourself, your dog will be much cooler, and healthyer. But be prepared to spend a few hundred on professional equipment shampoos, and remoisturisers because that's what it will take. Not a garden hose and a rake.

#68977 - 06/15/06 06:43 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Renee, yes there are bad groomers out there. In fact I've fired a couple in my day. But there are bad EVERYTHING out there nomatter the profession. The thing is, get to know your groomer don't be suspicious of everything, things you don't know about or understand just ask questions. If you don't feel in your gut you can trust your groomer than find another one. When you find the one that makes you feel the most comfortable by all means tip her!!! LOL just kidding, actually a good tip is saing "Thank you, you did a nice job he/she looks terrific!" that's tip enough for me. But anyway you will find that the majority of us are good people who love animals and, yes even those that have part-time jobs driving busses or whatever.

#68978 - 06/15/06 06:44 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Well, all of them are precious. I have a boxer and I had no idea how much they shed. Holy Moly! I have to keep a sheet on the couch (yes, she lives inside and is rotten to the core)...

Anything that can help with her sheding?

JJ

#68979 - 06/15/06 06:49 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

I like the FURminator tool for short coated dogs. One thing though, you can buy them at PetSmart but check the prices I think QVC or ebay has them cheaper. There is also a knock off at Wal-mart called Shedender. I haven't heard much about it but it looks like it would work about the same. Also the FURminator de-shed solution helps as well. I do 2 boxers in my shop that come for furminator treatments and their dad says the same thing "They shed soooo badly!!" I LOVE boxers BTW I had 1 once I was foster puppy training for a specialty dog service and when I had to give him back it about broke my heart. [Frown]

#68980 - 06/15/06 06:56 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I know what you mean. I love her to pieces. She is so sweet and even tempered, unlike ME.

I swear Trixie speaks English. She knows everything I say to her...except, put down my crown. She never listens when I say that...darn her!

JJ

#68981 - 06/15/06 07:03 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

I visited your site jawjaw and LOVED it, very very cute and Trixie is adorable!! I also have an African Grey. I have a Blue and Gold Macaw, and Cockatiel as well.

#68982 - 06/15/06 07:30 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Sadie Offline

Okay, first my daughter has a new yorkie and my last yorkie which my daughters an mine died two years ago named Margox died of a stroke she was 11 year old . WE bathed her because the vet did not want her to get so upset as she did one time going to the groomers . My dog died in my arms and I miss her to this day. They are like kids . My daughter takes her new yorkie Chibi to a groomer and is a good one .

I don't think Chatty was using a rake for her dogs by all mean and if she wants to use a hose so be it. To each his own. If you go check she said a rake type brush on the dog

That is all I have to saw on the matter

[ June 15, 2006, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Renee ]

#68983 - 06/15/06 07:34 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
JawJaw, Daisy got to play with a boxer at the dog park. They were SO cute! I love dog behavior. They try to look like they are not looking at each other, all the while looking out of the corner of their eye.

Daisy loves boxers and has a niece and nephew boxer - she's Aunt Daisy.

Daisygirl

#68984 - 06/15/06 07:38 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

They are called undercoat rakes, I wasn't referring to a garden rake when I said rake. I knew what she meant. [Smile]

#68985 - 06/15/06 08:24 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Barkus Offline

Loc: Tyler TX
I am also a professional pet stylist and I adore all animals. I would never ever put a animal in a heated cage dryer. FYI all of my cage dryers dry at room air and have safety timers on them, going off at 15 minutes. Check me out at my home web site to see my shop and my outlook on my profession. Not all groomers are bad people, just like, not all people are groomers. I left the medical field to pursue my career in grooming, I am also referred by 5 local vets who feel I am very responsible. As far as Pet Somethings, stand there and watch them? I get more complaints and customers from them than any other place.

#68986 - 06/15/06 08:42 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Thanks for the kudos...we have a couple of members here who have birds and they are all so lovable. Does your African Grey talk? If you look on Trixie's page on my homepage, she featured an African Grey one month. Sammie da Burd ... such a hoot! (no pun intended!)

I keep saying one of these days I'm going to have a bird but for now, no can do. Trixie would think it was a snack I'm afraid!

JJ

#68987 - 06/15/06 08:47 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Oh, I thought Sammy was your bird. Yes I saw it that is why I told you about mine lol. I didn't read much just looked at how perty it all was. I'll have to go back and read it sometime it looks really fun and interesting!

#68988 - 06/15/06 09:09 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Oh, and yes my Grey talks up a storm!! Once we had some work done on our house "new duct work and heat pump" The workers tried and tried to get her to talk and couldn't "she is a little shy around strangers" but then they went in the basement to work and we left the house for a while, when we got back they told me about all the stuff she said when she didn't know they were listening lol.

#68989 - 06/15/06 05:32 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Make sure you go back and read all of the post "Dianne" has on here about her bird, Sammy. They are a hoot! Dianne, anything new with Sammy lately?

JJ

#68990 - 06/16/06 07:36 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh Barkus! I just spent some time on your web page as well! I love all the pictures and your grandchildren are adorable. What are you feeding the would-be Mom's down there? Holy Moly, I've never seen so much hair on a newborn! How beautiful!

The story, The Last Groom had me in tears...Ladies, if you want to read something touching, go here: http://www.homestead.com/witt/LastGroom.html

Thanks for sharing your part of the world with us!

JJ

#68991 - 06/15/06 09:44 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well imagine my surprise to find so many new animal lovers among us this morning. To answer all these groomers now posting (imagine that!) My original post was a warning against a "cage" with a dryer blasting into it and onto our pets, not about people. I have been working one way or another for over 40 years, as part owner of a boarding kennel where we bred, groomed and showed Chihuahuas, Yorkshire Terriers and Old Enghlish Sheep Dogs. Quite a variety, in size especially. I was affiliated with The American School of Dog Grooming in Chicago many years ago. I realize that not all grommers are heartless quacks but if you are honest you will agree that they exist and that the problem has gotten worse with anyone who can afford to open a shop, with little or no training saying they are groomers. I would think that all you reputable groomers would be fighting to have your industry scrutinized rather than trying to have petitions signed against it. Its the incompetent, so called groomers out there that give all groomers a bad name. I know and am friends with many groomers here in Nevada as in Chicago and also in Maryland when living there and they are all a credit to their profession, as I'm sure you groomers that have taken the time to post here must be. I never generalize that all of anything is bad or good. There is bad and good in everything but as an animal owner, lover, foster care giver and activist I have and still see the end results of what a bad groomer can cause. I refuse to argue the finer points of bathing, spayting, neutering and what have you, as I stated "ask your vet." I was the one however that brought the Furminator to the attention of the forum and swear by it. I also use a good lanolin based shampoo to groom my own dogs but use baby shampoo around their faces. Oh and by the way I've groomed numerous Sheep Dogs and dried them with a stationary dryer on the table and a hand dryer and they did just fine. It does take longer but the end results are worth the effort. Since having developed arthritis in my hands I have my dogs groomed by a wonderful woman who comes to my home to do my dogs. I am not against groomers, not at all, I am a groomer or was. I am simply alerting my friends here what to watch out for to safeguard their animals. That is after all the important thing is it not? I'm sure now that you are all here posting you will take on that responsibility and that your expertise will be greatly appreciated. Barkus I just read the Last Groom and am not ashamed to admit I am crying like a baby. I have seen so much pain, fear and death of sweet helpless little creatures that I am quick to defend them and speak out against what I deem might be hurtful to them. My own two 14 year old Maltese angels, Daisy and Twekee had cancer and had to be put down 8 months apart, that was 9 years ago and I still can't think of them without falling apart. I've lost them, a doberman and german shepherd, numerous cats and it never gets any easier. They are all so precious and the fact that they have to suffer in anyway is the one thing that challenges my faith in God at times. Please forgive me if you feel you or your occupations were demeaned. I never meant to be judgemental of all groomers but I still caution against those drying cages, an animal should not be deposited into one (hot or not) and left unattended. By the way, welcome to the BWS forum,I hope you'll stick around.

[ June 15, 2006, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#68992 - 06/15/06 10:10 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
The Last Groom is very sweet. I haven't had a pet in over 20 years and I didn't understand the fuss people made over them. But since the day I first saw my puppy (on the internet) I loved her and now I cannot imagine not having her.
Of course, I will be even happier when she stops biting and peeing on my bedroom rug... [Smile]

#68993 - 06/16/06 12:14 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Jengroomer Offline

Loc: Florida
I am a groomer of 23 years. Just thought I'd post.
I will admit there are groomers out there that should not be in this profession. But, there are MANY, very many groomers that are wonderful.
As far as cage drying. I do own a hang on the cage dryer. IT is only used on room temperature, period. It is reserved ONLY for those dogs that are double coated, that cannot stand on the grooming table being hand dried for long periods. All the rest are hand dried.
My new salon is an open concept, it can be a little loud (barky) but we can see all pets in our care at all time.
I think any kind of cage dryer should be made to blow room temperature air only. That's my opinion.
I think that the 'tone' of the first post here was directed to imply that most groomers are 'bad' and beware of those mobile groomers. What is that?
The sensationalism also bothers me. Baked, Cooked, Fried. That is solely to sensationalize the story. It's sad, so sad, horrible.
It makes me cry to think of a pet dying in any way.
All I can say to those looking for a groomer for their pet is, ASK questions, LOOK at the facility. Feel comfortable with the groomer. If you have reservations about them, don't schedule with them.
Also another note, it was mentioned cages dryers are used so that groomers can overbook and make big bucks. Pet owners keep this in mind when paying grooming fees. Instead of complaining about higher fees, realize that the groomers work hard and WANT to give your pet individual time & care. BUT they must also be paid accordingly. You will likely find the cheaper priced groomers overbooking to make ends meet. (NOT to make the big bucks) and those of us that charge a higher fee than most of our competitors CAN spend the time with each pet and give them personal attention and NOT overbook.
Part of why my fees are higher than my competitors is because I do NOT want to have to overbook just to feed my family. I want everyone, pets, pet owners and myself to feel comfortable, unstressed & happy!

#68994 - 06/16/06 01:35 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Sorry Jen but you're going to have to show me the words baked, cooked or fried anywhere in these posts because I can't find them and I know I never used those words. As far as the Mobile groomers go, maybe its just here in Nevada but there have been numerous dogs cut, burned with too hot clippers and dogs eye gouged or cut. Plus the area is not always clean placing your animal in harms way for parasites. Thats what I meant about minding mobile groomers....
Your shop sounds like it should be the poster shop for all grooming establishments and I for one would gladly pay more to have my pet/pets handled as you handle your clients. Can you answer one question? Wouldn't you as a responsible groomer like to see some specifications as to who can and can't groom dogs, some sort of licensing or regulation? If not, why not? Oh, and welcome to BWS!

#68995 - 06/16/06 01:48 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Bluebird Offline

I went back and looked and also, did not see those words used by chatty.
She started this topic out of pure love for dogs and to help those of us who may use a groomer, to keep our pets safe. If some of her statements were inaccuarate, then that should be stated but jumping on her isn't necessary.
We are here to share ideas and HELP each other. I for one am glad when someone tells me something that I need to watch out for.
And yes, welcome to all the newcomers! We want you to stay, but be kind.

#68996 - 06/16/06 02:47 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Scissorart Offline

Chattylady,

Mabye the mobile groomer trouble people you are having is just around there. I hope so because that sounds just awful. Actually mobile grooming is great for your pets, esp. if they get really stressed out. I concentrate on the pets one on one so they are not rotated in and out of cages all day. It usually takes an average of about one hour to complete a groom and that is so much better on the dog than spending a few hours at a salon. We put alot of hard work into ours, so don't think it's a cheap investment for someone with no experience goes for. A brand new one can run $50,000 My husband designed and built ours. Alot of hard long hours went into it. He was also working a full time job when he did it. I do my best not to clipperburn or cut dogs. In fact I usually end up cutting my fingers if anything- not the dog. I am doing mobile because I like the way the dogs are treated. If I ever did open a salon I would still do hourly appointments for the dogs. I would offer drop offs if needed. And actually, around here there is a salon that alot of people come to me after there dogs have been cut. Like everyone has said, just ask questions and be comfortable with who you go to. My website is www.geocities.com/shampooandsnip/ . I can't figure out how to get pictures to upload to it so I have none on the site. If we could put pictures in here I would show you my van. It actually is cleaner than alot of shops may be, so I am not sure why chattylady is saying that they are dirty. Maybe it just depends on the van color or something. Mine is nice and white. I guess if I had went with dark wood it might look dirty but that doesn't mean it is. I know some of my clients talk about how dirty some shops are (mostly shops that allow smokers). In fact, one of the ladies who uses me now owns 2 cockers and at the shop she went to they kept catching kennel cough. So she uses me now because her dogs are never in contact with other animals for long periods. They were even vaccinated for it. The vet said the deal was that the lady must not be cleaning well so the virus just stays there and her dogs are very susseptible. They kept getting it every time. So it shouldn't be generalized in that way. I am sorry that the mobiles in your area are that way. Maybe it isn't all of them. I certainly hope not.

#68997 - 06/16/06 03:02 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Scissorart Offline

And I am not implying that all shops are dirty either. Just go where you are comfortable. [Smile] There are mobiles, I imagine, who are dirty as well as shops, and mobiles who are clean and shops who are clean.

#68998 - 06/16/06 03:38 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

You are absolutely correct Scissorart, there is good and bad in all things, in all places and with all services. Thats why people need to be alerted to these kinds of problems and know what to look for when entrusting their precious family pet to any one, even a vet. Thanks for posting....

#68999 - 06/16/06 03:43 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Chatty, you did seem to be attacking groomers, mobile and grooming shops and did seem to be generalizing. Do you honestly think that only good, honest, caring groomers will be licensed? That is as nieve as saying that every doctor that has a degree is good, caring and honest. I agree there are many, groomers out there that have no business being allowed to own a dog, let alone groom one, but that doesn't mean they can't become licensed, and that doesn't mean that we are all like that. You also didn't sound nearly as educated as you say you are. For instance, you recommended asking if your groomer will only use a hand dryer. Hand dryers are very hard to dry a dog with, groomers use stand dryers, when hand drying. That gives you 2 free hands to brush and hold the dog with.

Dogs get cut, that's an unfortunate reality, but when you use very sharp instruments on wiggling sometimes unwilling dogs, tongues stick out when your shaving faces things happen. The best groomer in the world has nicked a dog at one time or another. A piece of paper doesn't mean that accidents won't happen. I will admit to nicking the occasional dog, but I am more likely to cut myself, I probably nick a dog an average of 2 times per year. I have in all my years of grooming never caused more than a small nick, and never injured a dog that needed veterinary treatment, there are many new advances in grooming to guard against clipper burn, trimmers who's blades do not heat up, vac systems that keep blades cool, shaving wet matted dogs that also keep the blades cool. I have never clipper burned a dog because I take all precautions to avoid that.

There is nothing wrong with putting a un-heated fan on a dog in front of their cage, anymore than there is something cruel about having a fan blowing on you. They aren't stressed by it and most seem to enjoy the breeze and take the opportunity to nap, it's a lot less stressful than spending hours on a grooming table. I do it for large breeds, all others get a bathrobe or towel on after their bath to help them dry and keep them warm, then they are placed on a big fluffy towel till I dry them which is usually about 30 minutes. I have put a fan on dogs waiting for their owner and are finished if they are panting, and they seem to appriciate it. I also have a shop where I can see every dog at all times, I'd have it no other way, basically because I want to know how everyone is doing even if it is something as simple as a dog barking at their neighbor, I can move that dog so as not to stress his neighbor. I also have some elderly dogs that do occasionally have sezures, I stop what I'm doing nomatter what it is, or how busy I am, and wrap the dog in a towel, holding him or her close to me till they feel better, luckily this is a very rare occurance. I do not keep elderly dogs more than 1-2 hours, and most of my others are out within 3. They aren't stressed, I see to that, they are comfortable. I also don't do large numbers of dogs, simply because I don't want to rush, when your rushed your stressed, when your stressed accidents are more likely to happen.

Remember, ignorance breeds fear, become educated.

[ June 15, 2006, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: CanineDesign ]

#69000 - 06/16/06 04:55 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

CanineDesign, I was attacking the careless use of "drying cages" and the incompetent groomers using them...The dogs that died in them were not being blown with cool fan type air but heated air...thats a fact whether you want to admit it or not. You as well as the others here who have come to defend your fellow groomers may well be the best of the best and thats fine but you all know what goes on. The school I nmentioned, trained students well and they were given certificates when they graduated and they knew the correct way to handle and care for dogs. Maybe they didn't do what they were taught and maybe they did, no one knows. But groomers should be tested just like a beautician or barber is tested to get a license....
If you want to get technical which most of these people won't know or care about anyway, may I say that I own a small grooming table, 30Lx18Wx32H with arm and loop, I also have a Sunbeam standing dog hair dryer, high velocity and use a hand dryer as well at times. OKAY??? Other supplies I have managed to collect over time, Andis heavy duty clippers, Oster Cordless clippers and various size blades. Oh and a pocket trimmer. A Groomax dog clipper set for nails as well as Millers Forge Big dog clippers and Millers Forge various size shears. A flea comb, Porcupine brush, Furminator, dematting comb and undercoat brush. The incidentals consist of various special towels, Stypic powder, I like the oatmeal shampoo and also tear free baby shampoo. I hope this shows you that I know of what I speak. I was a groomer of show dogs for many years going back 35 years to be exact. I care for the animals and if a few feathers get ruffled in the process by me alerting my friends on this site with pets they love dearly then so be it. Until a couple months ago I groomed dogs at a shelter plus my own dogs and foster pets I take in, but arthritis has made that near impossible so now they are groomed in my home still, but by a friend. I think we all want the same thing here, the safety of the animals that can't speak for themselves, thats what counts. Not whether we use technical jargon or not...

[ June 15, 2006, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#69001 - 06/16/06 05:20 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Pam R. Offline

Okay girls, now...now! This topic is getting as hot as the dog's cage with hot air blowing on it! Yes, we all do want the same thing, a safe environment for our pets and a good grooming job. I lost my beloved Bichon after she was nicked (as I stated in my post) from a new groomer who joined the team at the shop I had gone to for years. I have to take some of that blame. I should have insisted she be groomed by the regular groomer and not the new one. I will never forgive myself for that, but the owner should have taken some responsibility and at least mentioned the "nick". She might not have developed a staph infection and died. Nevertheless, we all love our pets. We really do have a lot in common here.

#69002 - 06/16/06 05:51 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Your right Pam and I for one have added all the air, hot or otherwise I plan to. I feel I did my part by alerting our ladies. The rest is up to them... Hugs to everyone...

[ June 16, 2006, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#69003 - 06/16/06 06:21 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Kentj1020 Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chatty lady:
There are NO qualification to say you are a groomer, no tests they need to take, no licensing to worry about, so anyone can say they're a groomer.

Apparently.

Irresponsibility in any business can lead to injury, and even death. Media reports state it happens in daycares, home daycares, nursing homes, hospitals and the list goes on. I would be lacking in judgment if I stated that ALL handlers who enter a show ring, also have their own backyard puppy mills. But it has happened, and continues to happen.

When seeking out ANY kind of professional, you must be proactive and ask questions, tour facilities, and ask questions again. When seeking information, get ALL the facts, not just someone's biased opinion who obviously is seeking reaction and kudos only.

As you can read on this thread, there are MORE compassionate, skilled groomers in business than the minority of slum grooming shops. A little bit of incentive should easily lead you to one who cares about your pet as much as you do.

#69004 - 06/16/06 07:08 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

As a representative of BWS and an employee, I am going to ask that both sides of this issue take off the boxing gloves and step back for a sec...I have been asked to go over some things and I intend to do just that.

I've been a member here for almost as long as this site has been available. Here is what I have to say, and I would ask that each of you read what I post, and honor this request.

I've known Chatty thru the boards for a long time. She is a great animal lover, caregiver for the cast aways, and provider of shelter, food, and love for God's creatures. Thank God for people like her that love them so much, no matter what shape, size, or condition they are in. Given that, I do know her heart is in the right place with animal issues.

Hear me out.

While to an outsider (and I mean this in the kindest sense, such as a newbee), her initial post may have come across as generalizing and uncaring, and a tad harsh toward some Groomers of the world she has been in contact with. I truly, in my heart do not feel her intention was to label EVERY groomer as evil. I think her intention was to warn people to be cautious about certain kinds of dryers (caged?) and to please ask questions and investigate before leaving your beloved pet with strangers.

Please continue reading.

To a stranger her words may have seem sharp and maybe harsh. I can see that. She's very excitable where precious animals are concerned. Maybe she should have tempered it, maybe she should have explained better, but the bottom line is, and you can take this to the bank, she did not mean to insult the groomers of the world. I truly do not believe this. Chatty, if you did...say so NOW! And I will gladly eat crow. I've had it served every way possible, one more dish won't hurt me.

Thus the debate which has escalated and swords drawn.

I apologize to the groomers for having their professionalism and careers seemingly insulted. And I thank those have taken their time to come here and educate ALL of us. It has been an eye opener for me, and I for one appreciate the lessons about pet care. I'm not apologizing for Chatty. She will be the first to tell you she doesn't need me to speak for her.

And I'm also NOT taking sides. It's not a war. Besides, that isn't my mission or the mission of this site.

What I am doing is asking each of you to step back and know that everyone wants the same thing and it was just said differently, by each involved. We need to educate each other, thus no further misunderstandings will be in the way of ANY animal getting proper care. Isn't that the most important thing. Don't we all agree?

Now...if you've stayed with me this far, I thank you. But I have one more thing to say.

This site is for everyone. EVERY WOMAN THAT WANTS TO COME HERE. It's for sharing, caring, and encouraging. Not for bickering, fighting, and name calling.

I have the authority to delete this thread and I will if it continues down the path it has taken.

I welcome the women who have come here today and given valuable input. I do hope you'll stay, and I encourage you to do so, if for no other reason than to get to know everybody here. We are a really nice bunch of boomer women and there are so many animal lovers here, but I don't think I need to convince you of that...eh?

If I didn't believe what I've said, I would never have written it. I would have let you all have at it.

It's time for this thread to be creative...and that doesn't mean come up with new ways to insult one another. It means to apologize, shake hands (sort of) and start over.

Our mission statement is plain and it hasn't changed. We want healing, frienships, and love to be the only thing that gets passed around here.

If I have offended anyone...Chatty....or the groomers, I will gladly apologize and do so immediately.

We have one rule around here...it's Golden.

Nuff said.

JJ

#69005 - 06/16/06 07:15 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Sadie Offline

Jaw Jaw ,
I hope you do delete this topic I think this has gone far enough the insultes to Chatty . She was only making a statement and this had turned into a boxing match a war of words and I for one am tired of reading this . Chatty has been on longer than most of us . I think Chatty was among the first . Enough is enough .

That is my opinion

#69006 - 06/16/06 07:25 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Barkus Offline

Loc: Tyler TX
Thank you to all who visited my site and enjoyed reading The Last Groom, Lets all agree that chatty was just concerned and does not need the whole world of groomers here to defend ourselves. We know we are caring professionals, we have stated our shop policies so lets enjoy the new friends. I am enjoying this site, it is a nice place.

#69007 - 06/16/06 07:40 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Awwww, Barkus I just read "The Last Groom" oh wow, I could have written that, but it would have been about a dog named Muffy (also a shih tzu) She was a sweet little soul who loved her baths, and I'd run the sprayer on her extra long because it felt so good to her old muscles. That's why one day when she had a sezure in the tub it scared me so badly, she wasn't stressing at all, she as enjoying her bath and it happend. I picked her up and held her tight while rocking her back and forth in my chair and talking to her. I called her mom and asked if I should continue to groom her and she said "It happens all the time now, this is her last Christmas and everyone is coming home so I want it to be a happy one, make her look pretty one last time." I cried off and on the rest of the day, and I still think of her sweet little face. [Frown]

All, I apologize if you think I was insulting, I wasn't intending to insult at all, just educate. In fact I didn't think the discussion was heated at all, but maybe that's just me. On the internet where you see words and not a face to face conversation, things can be taken out of context very easily. This is a nice board, and thanks for letting us express ourselves. We dog groomers are a passionate group.

#69008 - 06/16/06 07:41 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Scissorart Offline

My last post was just to try and show the good points of mobile grooming and that not every mobile groomer is bad. The started post was pretty general including the mobile groomer part since it didn't give any specifications just: watch out for those mobile groomers. Later she expanded on it. I think if we are going to help people with these pet issues we need to be specific so we don't get confused and misinform people by mistake. I do think all of us want the best for everyone's pet, including our own. I think we groomers all took the first post to be a generalized post about groomers. We were giving our side because it did look that way. I hope, JawJaw, that Chatty didn't mean it that way. Maybe her intention was just the cage drying but, like you said, it didn't come across that way. And Chatty, about the school license thing: I am not sure if just any school would be good. It is kind of like getting trained. Some trainers may not be the best. If this ever did get to where we all need a license I would hope that it would be similar to other industries. What I mean is I hope every state would have a school or an issuer and that it be approved by whatever it should be approved to. I know I have heard that some schools are a joke (like the one here). I don't know how anyone else feels on that. Personally I wouldn't mind getting licensed, I just don't want to have to drive far away from my family for a lengthy time to do it.

Maybe we can turn this around to really help people with their animals and questions. My fists are not up for any of this post. [Wink]

#69009 - 06/16/06 07:54 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Your right, not all schools are good. I remember a post where someone stated that they quit school when the first thing that the instructor taught them was how to hit the dog without the owner seeing it <gasp!!>

#69010 - 06/16/06 08:04 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I thank everyone for your responses, and I also welcome all the new people to Boomer Women Speak. I hope you will become as addicted to this site as we all have, and please stick around. There are so many topics here to choose from.

The old saying that something good comes out of everything could very well apply here. Scissorart, great suggestion...To turn this around to REALLY help people with their animals and questions. Now your talking!

I want to mention that your sites have tons of pictures of about every breed you can think of so if you ladies want to see some pretty babes after grooming, do visit their websites. What fun!

By the same token, for all the new people on board, you may want to take some time and visit the webpages of different women here. There is a wealth of talent on these boards...And now we have even more!

JJ

#69011 - 06/16/06 10:58 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Paw Spa Aka Debbie Pratto Offline

Loc: Newport Beach, CA
I use to work at Petsmart........where did Chatty Lady get the impression that they don't cage dry? They do! Their bathing room and drying room is seperate from the grooming area as is mine. I groom in front of a window like they do. So what! They work on high volume, they aren't necessarily known for high quality results. I own a shop, was trained by accredited groomers and I have never cage dryed. My shop doesn't even own cage dryer equipment. We hand force dry all our dogs and no dog is left unattended. I think it's ridiculous to chastize all groomers that they are incompetent or untrained. That is simply not the case. There are bad doctors, dentists, lawyers, and yes groomers. But for the most part people who get into grooming dogs do it for the love of getting the personal satisfaction of making a scruffy dog look beautiful. The money can be good but it can also be not worth it either. Many of us could tell you how many hours we put in grooming a Giant Schnauzer or a Standard Poodle to get only $75 for the job. Since groomers only receive a % of that fee it becomes a job that's not worth doing. The shop has to make some money to pay the expenses of the shop and supplies. Not all groomers cage dry, frankly I don't see the need to cage dry at all so I don't. And many of us don't either so please refrain from lumping all of us into one negative category as we work hard at what we do, not everybody can do what we do and it takes years to develop the professional skills that make us just that, professionals. And if the public wasn't so demanding in the first place about getting their dog done in an unreasonable amount of time you'd see a lot less accidents occur in the shops. It's when a groomer is pressured to make a deadline and the dog won't cooperate that accidents happen. The customers I love the most are the ones that try to groom at home and realize the process is a lot harder than they thought and suddenly the fee and the time frame given to complete the groom isn't so bad after all. [Eek!]

#69012 - 06/16/06 04:30 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Debbie,
Thank you for yet another point of view, and for joining BWS. Welcome. We have asked that the tone of this discussion be one to help all in the education of the care and grooming of pets. The post directly above you will explain in better detail.

#69013 - 06/16/06 04:36 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

I think her tone was just fine, and very educational. Thanks Debbie

#69014 - 06/16/06 04:44 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

It was educational CanineDesign and we welcome this type of discussion, absolutely! However, at the same time, specifically calling out Chatty is opening up the floor for the exchange of more heated discussions and I think everyone would benefit more if we moved forward ... not backwards. Don't you?

JJ

#69015 - 06/16/06 06:37 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Jawjaw, thanks so much for stepping in and being the peacemaker.

I welcome all the newbies and appreciate the love for animals that is so obvious. While this site is for educating others, it is also a place to share stories, give and receive advice, and MAKE NEW FRIENDS. Please try to keep this in mind while you are posting.

As the founder of this site, I would love to know how the newbies in this forums learned about the original post. I'm just curious...

#69016 - 06/16/06 06:38 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Jawjaw, thanks so much for stepping in and being the peacemaker.

I welcome all the newbies and appreciate the love for animals that is so obvious. While this site is for educating others, it is also a place to share stories, give and receive advice, and MAKE NEW FRIENDS. Please try to keep this in mind while you are posting.

As the founder of this site, I would love to know how the newbies in this forums learned about the original post. I'm just curious...

#69017 - 06/17/06 07:11 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Paw Spa Aka Debbie Pratto Offline

Loc: Newport Beach, CA
Thank you Canine Design and Jaw Jaw. I welcome the opportunity to correct some misconceptions here on this orginal topic. I am not trying to add fuel to a smoldering fire on the contrary, I just want to educate the readers here on a different spin to the original posting.

Groomers are passionate about what they do, me included and its obvious that all the postings here are concerned about the inference that we aren't but that corp. grooming is a safer environment. And that's simply just not true.

Groomer's are notorious for seeking out support and education to improve their skills which is why there are venues like wwww.groomers.net. One of the members of that board found this original posting on this topic and pasted the link to BWS to send replies.

I apologize if my posting was viewed in any other light other than being educational. I am a devoted groomer and supporter of anyone who grooms for a living. It's hard work and none of us would do it if we didn't love what we do. I use to have an executive postion with Price Club, I have an education and skills far more advanced than I use in the grooming profession. I chose grooming because it's fulfilling. It doesn't make me rich in dollars but rich in personal satisfaction and for me, that's enough. I'm lucky to have found my niche in life.

#69018 - 06/17/06 07:18 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Well put Debbie, and I think your presence will be a welcome one here lending support to all of our questions regarding the care and grooming of our pets. Bravo! Now can you tell me how to keep my dog, Trixie, out of my crowns AND my recliner? That dog has no respect...

I am lucky enough to have found my "niche" in life as well so I share your sentiments. While I'm also not rich in dollars, the satisfaction of hearing someone say, "you really crack me up," is worth it's weight in gold.

Will work for smiles...JJ

#69019 - 06/16/06 10:01 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
bluebonbonbonnie Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I also am a new poster who followed this thead when posted on the groomers board. I want to say that I desire to educate people in pet care, picking a groomer, and making sure your pet has vet care. I am a mobile groomer with 35 years expereience. I attended Hill's Professional Pet Grooming School in Inglewood, CA in 1972. I have worked in pet shops, for vets, and mobile, in addition to owning my own shop (in Il.) and now work mobile. I attend trade shows and learn new things all the time. Pet owners need to allow enough time for the job to be done properly. Learn how to keep your pet brushed out between grooming appointments. Don't neglect your pet for a year (or more) and expect wonders to be done.
In defense of mobile groomers I would like to say that most pets, especially elderly or nervous, do very well mobile due to the fact that they are near home. I don't have to put a pet in a cage and all pets are hand dried. I have a fan, a HV dryer(which blows room temp air at high speed) and a human hair dryer(for the faces of those who can't stand high speed air) I allow any customer to stay nearby (but usually not IN the van) while I groom if the pet behaves. I spend a lot of time talking about health issues that need the vet to check on, behavior concerns and between grooming care. I think that all the posts were meant to get to the same heart of the issues, what is best for the pets. Please be kind to your groomer, we really do love pets.

#69020 - 06/16/06 10:03 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
bluebonbonbonnie Offline

If anyone would like to check out my website it is: http://www.mobilepetgroomers.net

#69021 - 06/16/06 10:16 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Bluebonbonbonnie,
Thanks for the post. Actually your site was one I had checked out and found the pic's of the babes after their grooming were absolutely adorable. What type of dogs are the ones in the top left hand corner that are hugging each other? Is that cute or what?

JJ

#69022 - 06/16/06 10:21 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
bluebonbonbonnie Offline

Those two dogs are certified therapy dogs, and yes, they are hugging! Those two, with one more not pictured, are wonderful, happy, well cared for Brussels Griffons owned by a wonderful couple. The woman takes these dogs to visit children on dialysis, and of course, many other places where hugs are required!

#69023 - 06/16/06 10:33 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I love hearing about this. They are so sweet looking and make you want to hug something!

There is a woman who works with dogs as therapy pets for Autistic children (misspelled?)... So far the results have been tremendous and have amazed the medical communities.

I use to take my boxer Trixie to the VA home but while the men there loved her to pieces, she was so unruly and such a free-spirited dog (that's a nice way of saying she's spoiled rotten) that I couldn't seem to manage her. She weighs in at about 67 pounds.

She would undoubtedly flunk Obedience School. I wish I had taken her to school when she was a pup. Now she's only good for writing articles and that's only on occasion. But that's another story...(no pun intended)

JJ

#69024 - 06/16/06 10:42 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

A sincere THANK YOU to JJ and to the groomers who have made this topic one everyone read. Sometimes the topics just slide by unnoticed but not this one. I wanted to educate our readers and with all of your help thats exactly what has happened. Now at least I know everyone is better equipped to know what to look for and also to appreciate the work that the fine, caring, responsible groomers do. It is hard work, I know, I've done it. Still do, with the rescued dogs we save and find homes for...
My love respect and appreciation to all those that have jumped in to make this topic a success with the attention it deserved... HUGS! [Big Grin]

[ June 16, 2006, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#69025 - 06/17/06 02:12 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Canine, you have an African Grey? Yippee! Mine has her own blog. Very important, you know?

Her name is Sammie and just this morning I heard her having a new conversation. She likes to mimic my husband on his phone conversations. Today, "So, no interest, huh? Oh well." As you know, sometimes you have to step out of the room and just listen.

Where in the world did all these groomers come from? Welcome to all of you! I have an Italian Greyhound so there isn't much to groom. I do it myself.

#69026 - 06/17/06 02:13 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Oh, here is Sammie's blog:

http://sammiesueschwartz.blogspot.com/

#69027 - 06/17/06 03:54 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

I saw Sammie's blog, very cute. My bird's name is Qena, I like native names so that's a name native to Africa, she is very sweet, in fact I call her my kitten in a feather suit. She says all kinds of things, she does do a heated conversation and she usually starts in with it if I'm breaking up my kids fighting lol. She also knows my dogs (I have 4) names and will say them when they go by her cage. I've recently gotten a Havanese and she hasn't learned her name yet, that's really cute but sometimes when she says a name of a dearly departed pet it makes me sad, I guess I could think she feels their spirit and that's comforting. I love Italian Grayhounds, in fact I was looking for one when I found my Whippet. I also have a Standard Poodle, a Golden Retriever, 3 cats, 2 Paso Fino horses, a Blue and Gold Macaw, a Cockatiel and a mini-lop rabbit.

Blue, I am a in-shop groomer and have the utmost respect for mobiles, I'd probably be one but my area is too small. Have you ever thought about the fact that some dogs actually HATE going for car rides? Some will get car sick as well. That's another to add to your list of benefits of a mobile service.

JawJaw, I was just thinking if your not allowed to disgree with someone than that's not a very open forum, and a hard one to share ideas and have discussions, because not everyone is going to believe in the same thing, or the same way. But after reading your post I understand a bit more where your coming from.

#69028 - 06/17/06 07:48 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Lord I love the list of animals you have. What is a mini-lop rabbit? Never heard of that one. Does the rabbit stay inside or out? And how do the other animals act around the rabbit?

Thanks girlfriend for your patience and understanding here in the forums...it's not that we should agree on everything, but we want to make sure that everybody treats one another with respect and kindness when they DISAGREE. That's all. Everybody has different ideas, opinions, and even solutions. We can all learn from each other.

Heck, if everybody agreed, we would be one more boring bunch of women...and trust me, we aren't!

Now there is ONE rule I didn't mention but I will now. All new people have to mail me a 5 lb box of chocolate... I'll be happy to provide an address...What? What? Okay, okay, big fat lie....two pounds will do.

What? Oh good grief (tuff room)...alright alreadyyyy...I made it up, you happy now?

Geeishhh....gettin' so a person can't get away with nutin' around this joint any more!

JJ
[Wink]

#69029 - 06/17/06 11:29 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

A mini-lop rabbit is a cross between a Holland Lop, and a Netherland Dwarf. They are sweet and cuddly, and mine thinks he is a dog, he follows me around well until I go to put him back in his cage then he runs for the nearest shrub. He stays in a cage in the house, he comes out to hop around a little every day, and sometimes I let him hop around the yard and eat grass, he does little bunny hops for joy, it's really cute. He wants to be friends with the wild rabbits but they take one look at his long floppy ears and take off. The cats run from him, the dogs bairly tolerate him, the whippet and golden isn't allowed around him as they would tear him to pieces in a heartbeat. He will hump any animal that isn't fast enough, that's why the cats run lol. And the poodle just gets up and walks away giving me this "He's doing it AGAIN Mom" look lol. So I usually save her and put her in another room. He is a real sweetheart!

Uhhhhh, can't help you out on that chocolate thing because it would be melted by the time you got it, so I will have to eat it for you [Smile]

[ June 17, 2006, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: CanineDesign ]

#69030 - 06/17/06 05:59 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Good Lord...I've never known anybody who had one for a pet. How cute is that? I have this great visual from your post. What's the rabbit's name? Lolly Pop? hahaha...ahem...

I'll let you off the hook on the chocolate...and don't feel bad, nobody else bought that line either.

JJ

#69031 - 06/18/06 07:15 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I'm sitting here laughing out loud about the rabbit.

You have a Whippet? I love them. They have the eyes of an Italian Greyhound. So sweet.

Thanks for visiting Sammie's blog. I'll let her know about it.

#69032 - 06/18/06 01:55 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

He has a very original name "Thumper" we call him "Thumper the Humper" [Smile]

Yes Dianne I have a whippet, his name is Phoenix. He is a little old man, getting ready to turn 13 in August.

BTW someone commented about the photo on the front page of my website, it's a picture I took of my daughter and her puppy "Daisy" who is also on the photos page as an adult. Also Ravyn on there is my poodle

#69033 - 06/18/06 02:11 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

How funny is that? OMG...that was a belly laugh. You women are cracking me up today. Maybe I'll write something cause you've certainly got me in the mood...I love to laugh!

JJ

#69034 - 06/18/06 03:28 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Thats good that you love to laugh JJ because you certainly make the rest of us belly laugh every single day, even when your being serious...LOL

Has anyone ever heard of a Newfoundland? Well let me tell you they are one huge breed of dog. We got one in very late last night that seems to be a pretty old girl and it looks as if someone dumped her at the rest stop out in the desert, they left her a bowl of water.(dried up) No telling how long she'd been there and was waiting for her owner to return, she wouldn't move from the spot....Poor thing, we were finally able to coxe her and she was washed, and vet checked today and is now a guest in my home till she we can find her a permanent one. Again no collar, and she wasn't chipped. Please people have your pets chipped, its harmless, painless and so helpful in returning them to their owners if they should stray. What do you groomers think of chipping pets? Yea or nay?

#69035 - 06/18/06 03:39 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Bluebird Offline

People are so irresponsible. Good thing you're out there, chatty, doing what you do. St. Francis is very proud of you!

#69036 - 06/18/06 03:39 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Bluebird Offline

My vote on chipping is nay...only because if it really catches on, people will be next.

#69037 - 06/18/06 03:42 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Okay you guys, does this chipping stuff have anything to do with the Chippendale dancers? If so, I'm all for it.

smile

#69038 - 06/18/06 03:43 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Bluebird Offline

you wish!!

#69039 - 06/18/06 03:47 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

OMG the cruelty of people never cease to amaze me!!

She's old, she's hot, and the most imortant thing is comfort for her. I say shave her but don't go to the skin unless you have to, I'd probably start with a 4 or 5 if you have to use a 7. If your going to shave her learn about wet shaving, it's awesome!! You can shave down a wet clean dog much faster than a dry dirty gritty one, and it keeps the blade cool so no clipper burn, and you can actually clip the hair longer than you would if you clipped before the bath. Though if she is bathed now and clean and her undercoat has been brushed out then you can just go ahead and shave before she gets dirty again.

#69040 - 06/18/06 03:47 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

SMILES...you're a girl after my own heart. Okay, Chatty...please explain to this partial blonde...what is chipping? Is that when a microchip is inserted that has pertinent data on it and details kept in a computer database?

If so, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I guess I would need more info on it to see what all is involved. And if I'm correct in what I think it is, I would have never thought of the "humans being next" thing....Whoa! Talk about big brother! But for a homeless animal, or one that's been mistreated...it COULD bring the culprit to justice...yes? Am I even on the right track?

Lastly, yes I've heard of that beautiful breed Chatty. How fortunate you are to have one in your home. Well, except for the size! ha! There goes the couch! ha! But I know you will be taking care of this poor dog like it was a baby.

JJ

#69041 - 06/18/06 03:57 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

bluebird I think your thinking of a gps thing. It's a microchip that is the size of a piece of rice, it is inserted just under the skin, it indentifies that pet by using a reader, it will tell who it belongs to. There is nothing wrong with it, it's a very smart thing to do, collars and tags can get lost and with a microchip the owners will be identified, what's wrong with that? It can save many pets from euthanasia in shelters and help lost pets find their homes. Microchipping humans is highly unlikely, we have fingerprints to tell who we are, that's good enough.

#69042 - 06/18/06 03:59 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Bluebird Offline

Wish my family would kick me out and then chatty could take me in and feed me!! She's an awesome cook, I hear...

#69043 - 06/18/06 04:01 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Bluebird Offline

Well the way I see it, if you lose your dog and are trying to find it, you would most likely find it at the closest shelter. Most people would not want someone else's dog and would bring it there, right? I guess I don't like the thought of anything artificial going into an animal.

#69044 - 06/18/06 04:07 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

You would, but what if it isn't there? Sometimes they hitch a ride and end up in the next county, state or across the country. Stitches, staples, pins, wire, plastic ect. are artificial and those things are used inside an animal and humans in surgery allllll the time. There isn't anything wrong with it, really.

#69045 - 06/18/06 04:13 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Bluebird Offline

Good points. I'll reconsider my view on the subject, for sure.

#69046 - 06/18/06 04:40 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

That's cool.

I had a client who lost their dog, they were long past looking for him as it had been almost a year since the dog went missing. He ended up at the shelter, they read his microchip and sent him home again. They were thrilled! Who knows where the dog had been, but probably someone took him in and then he got away from them. Anyway it was a very happy ending [Smile]

#69047 - 06/18/06 04:44 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Bluebird Offline

Hey I'm teachable! I'm also a brand new pet owner so I happily bow to the expertise of all of you experts!
That is a happy ending.

#69048 - 06/18/06 04:51 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Having a microchip put in your pet is the safest and surest way of identifying them so they can be reunited with their owners. We have actually on a dozen or more ocassions been able to get a dog back home again when found hundreds of miles away from where they lived. Most dogs when they get out wonder around and sometimes when frightened will run, run and run and can cover a lot of territory away from their home. Not many dogs are found at, or taken to the local shelters unfortunately. Some are to scared and they won't come to a person, they run away. We had a heck of a time with this dog last night she was terrified. I finally just sat on the ground and opened a can of food and offered it to her in my fingers. That took over an hour but once she ate and drank she began licking me and I was able to leash her and she got into the van. This morning she wagged her big old tail and seemed happy to be washed and even licked Dr. Mikes face. All of my animals carry a chip for their safety (and mine.) Its like anything else however, a choice and Bluebird you are so funny, I doubt anyone would want to chip people. I'm calling her Smoochie because thats all she wants to do. Oh and did I say she takes up the ENTIRE couch???

#69049 - 06/18/06 07:00 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Bless you, Chatty.

Cats are known for jumping into moving vans and they usually make several stops along the way and jump out and are lost.

My Vet in Nashville scanned Sammie the first time I took her in. It made me trust him more. I know of one woman whose AG was stolen. It broke her heart. The robber didn't take anything else...just her precious bird.

#69050 - 06/18/06 07:02 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

P.S. Chatty, isn't that breed the largest one out there? Gads. I had a Great Dane and English Mastiff and they were huge but I'll never have a big dog again. They don't usually live too long.

How could someone just leave a dog like that? I will never understand that!

#69051 - 06/18/06 06:15 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I think putting a microchip in our pets is a good thing.....my cat has one. He has had a chip in him for 11 years. The humane shelter from which I got him from puts chips in all the animals they have at their shelter. If an animal gets lost, it helps them find the owner. My vet scanned my kitty to show me the information on chip. It's pretty cool. He said it does don't hurt the animal, nor does the animal feel the chip.

#69052 - 06/18/06 06:53 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

Irish Wolfhound is the largest breed of dog. Newfoundlands are around St. Bernard size. Just in case you needed this information for a trivia contest or something [Smile]

#69053 - 06/19/06 07:56 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

What breed was it that Sherlock Holmes used in one of his stories? Irish Wolfhound? Or what it a Mastiff? I've seen that particular show a bazillion times and now I can't remember! Anybody?

JJ

#69054 - 06/18/06 09:00 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Scissorart Offline

I have a huge 115 lb. bouvier des flandres and I had him microchipped because his breeder and I had a disagreement. I was afraid she would steal him and I knew this was the only way to ensure his identity (I haven't had any problems with her since I nuetered him. He is show quality). He also jumped the fence before we put an electric one in. He loves to chase squirrels and cats. I am considering doing this to my poodles too, but haven't for financial reasons. I have a 3 year old and a 7 month old, so they are expensive too. I am all for it, just don't do it to me! I went into to pay a bill at my city last week. They had a sign on the door to check there if you lost a dog. They only keep them for three days then put them down. I almost volunteered to be a contact but have to talk it over with hubby first. I don't think he will go for it though. I don't think three days is long enough. Why can't they at least take them to the pound. Don't they have a better chance of living longer there?

#69055 - 06/19/06 12:54 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
watt-a-dog Offline

Loc: Scotland
Actully the tallest dog is a Irish Wolfhound
The BIGGEST dog (weight) Was a Mastiff,
I know this cause it was my Puppys Grandfather [Smile]
Guiness book of world records, just a tad shy of 14 stone (280lbs.) show dog, not overweight. I belive theve had a few others from that line beat that since.
Luckyly Tam takes after his mommys side & is closer to 150lbs.
Big mookie that he is *G*

#69056 - 06/19/06 12:54 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Jengroomer Offline

Loc: Florida
Phew sorry it took so long for me to get back! I haven't a lot of time to be online.
I apologize to Chatty, the words used, 'baked, fried" etc for referring to the news articles about the poor shih tzu dying. Not the posts here.
Well I read onto I think page 4 and had to skim the rest, my poor old eyes!!
My only gripe for here was generalizing. I think it could scare plenty away from mobilers and many of them are wonderful!
As far as licensing, I have no problem with it. I'm not against it at all.
I too agree there are plenty of groomers out there that are careless, rough and not clean. But thats surely not all of us. There are so very many wonderful, caring, gentle, and clean groomers out there be it mobile or salon.
I'm very proud to be one of them!!

If there were any other questions for me, I'm sorry if I missed them. I kind of thought maybe I'd recieve emails on the postings of this topic.
So I had no idea it was going on & on!

#69057 - 06/19/06 01:17 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

JJ Sherlock had an Irish Wolfhound in the movie... I took Smoochie to my sons home this morning and his Mastiff, Sophie and her have become friends, thank God I'd have hated to have to step in between the two of them....Smochies is rather thin and her blood work doesn't look right so she'll go in tomorrow for some further testing. I'm afraid for her because some folks will get bad news about a pet and heartlessly dump them rather than have an expense. A doggy prayer would help here!!! Thanks.

#69058 - 06/19/06 01:28 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
watt-a-dog Offline

Loc: Scotland
I love Newfies [Big Grin]
There notoriously easy going (though they can lay down a layer of drool on yer ceilings)
Ive never met a nasty one & I groom quite a few.
doggie prayers sent [Smile]

#69059 - 06/20/06 02:22 PM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
LoriAnn Offline

Loc: Indiana
Wow! This is one long topic! I pray that the Newfie will be ok. I can't believe people sometimes.

About licensing. I am one that is against it, not because I don't want to be scrutinized. Because I think it will end up being another cost that will be passed on with few benefits. I know from experience, clients don't like price increases.
Ever see a dirty hair salon or restaurant? I've seen plenty and they are licensed by our governemnt-they collect their fees and know nothing about the businesses. There are a lot of problems with these bills that are being proposed so don't be so quick to condemn the groomer that is against it.

#69060 - 06/21/06 01:03 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Hi LoriAnn and welcome from a fellow Hoosier, born and raised in Indiana. The licensing I spoke, and speak of is licensing of the groomer, not his/her business establishment. Barbers and beauticians MUST be licensed. I realize a license does not a talented hair cutter make, there are different levels of talent but at least we would know the person doing the grooming knew enough to have passed a state exam. What is good for our own and our loved ones hair should also be good for our beloved pets hair/fur....just a thought.

Update on Smoochie the Newfoundland, it seems she has several ruptures and slow bleeding into the stomach. She is at the clinic now with IV's and surgery is inevitable. The vets say it looks like she was pushed from a moving vehicle or maybe badly beaten or kicked repeatedly. They said she must be in terrible pain yet she hardly makes a sound and had glued herself to me. I feel like my heart is drying up to see this beautiful and sweet natured dog so abused. Its not my first time heaven knows but I have no more tears and it never gets any easier...Thanks for your prayers, keep them coming.....

[ June 20, 2006, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#69061 - 06/21/06 02:41 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
Scissorart Offline

Oh my gosh! I hope she will be okay. These big dogs seem to be very tough. I have read that about Bouviers. They can handle alot somehow. Back in the old days they were used to haul stuff on small carts etc. I hope she will be fine. I hate to think of any dog in that kind of pain and newfies are soooo sweet.

#69062 - 06/21/06 04:20 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
LoriAnn Offline

Loc: Indiana
[Mad] How can people just "throw away" sweet creatures like that. Someone brought in a kitten found on the side of the road today that had some severe respitory problems.

I think people that want a pet should have to have a license along with a projected cost of the animal they want. The people that get mad when they have to pay for the care of an animal THEY made a commitment to take care of just really irritate me to no end!

(getting off the soapbox)

Anyway, I was refering to the poster (forgot the name right now) that didn't want to go back to the groomer that wanted her to sign a petition against the proposed law. There is more to it than just having to pass a state exam.

#69063 - 06/22/06 03:37 AM Re: Pet Grooming !!!
CanineDesign Offline

I would have thought if she were thrown from a car it would have broken bones, or at least some road rash and I doubt she would have a water dish with her. I can't imagine what she went through, poor baby. She could have gotten hit by a car too. Whatever happened I sure hope she pulls through this okay she deserves to have a good rest of her life.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved