The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68062 - 08/22/05 04:35 PM Flea Advice? Help!
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I have a 50 pound mutt that is my constant companion.

For years I have used flea control products (most recently, for more than a year now, Frontline).

The last two doses I bought were like water, they had NO effect at all. I don't mind spending the money on the product, but if it doesn't work it's an expensive "mistake."

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about other products that WORK? Commercial, herbal, home remedy? Anything? I've had no luck lately and need some advice.

Thanks!

Whirlwind

#68063 - 08/23/05 02:41 AM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
One thing I know for sure is when we find a stray dog or cat before introducing it into the pet population at the SPCA it is thoroughly washed from the "head down to the tip of the tail" with Head and Shoulders shampoo. It will kill ticks and fleas dead. Then they are fitted with flea collars. There are many other things that work from PetsMart, like Fleatrol for the home and Zodiac Yard & Garden Spray, it treats up to 2500 sq. feet in 32 oz., Carpet & Upholstery Powder with a nice citrus scent kills adult fleas and flea larvae in your home for up to seven momths, 16 ozs. will treat 2000 sq. ft. You might try Bio Spot flea & Tick Control for Dogs it will keep pests off your dog, one application kills and repels adult fleas, ticks, mosquitos and eggs and larvae for up to 4 months. Used on dogs 12 weeks and older. It's inexpensive. Too many people treat the dog or cat but forget the fleas hiding in the house and yard... [Big Grin] Check the dogs fur often to see if there are dark specks at the base of the hair near the skin, this is flea poo poo.

[ August 22, 2005, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#68064 - 08/23/05 04:00 PM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
msdiana Offline

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
i spent a lot of money on just about every commercial and vet-recommended product there is until a large animal vet told me about diatomaceous earth...i've used DE for years with a lot of success...(what is it? http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html )

i've bought it at lowe's, wal-mart, and home depot (depending on where i was living at the time)...it's odorless and completely free of chemicals...i'm not necessarily opposed to chemicals, i just wanted something that really worked for the money...
initially i powdered my dogs on a weekly basis for a month as well as spooning it out in carpeted areas behind all the furniture and this helped keep any eggs from hatching...i powdered the yard once a week and after it rained (DE's power is diminished when it gets wet)...
i wouldn't recommend this to anyone who has small children, other animals who may root their way into the DE, or family members with allergies...
it's good to use a dust mask when handling it until the dust settles...it's as benign as baby powder -- which i also don't breathe in [Smile]

it's important to keep the dog's bedding clean (washing isn't what kills fleas though, it's the dryer heat) and keep all carpeted areas vacuumed...the vacuum bag/container must be thrown away/emptied every time the vacuum is used, otherwise the eggs will sit in there and hatch...

#68065 - 08/23/05 10:27 PM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I had fleas in my carpet last fall for the first time. I found on the internet a suggestion to sprinkle the carpets with dry Borax--remember the laundry soap with the mule team on the cover? Just plain old Borax. Doesn't smell or hurt the carpet, won't hurt the dog or cat walking on it, didn't cause any skin allergies on family members either. Just sprinkle on, wait a day and vacuum up dead fleas. Very cheap and easy way to regain control! I did a treatment once a week for about 4 weeks to make sure that any new hatchings were caught and that took care of the problem.

The dog was a different story. I shampooed with flea and tick champoo, did the flea and tick treatment on his back AND got some flea pump spray at WalMart (I think it was a Hartz product) and spritzed and rubbed deep into fur all over once, then every time she scratched an area I spot treated it until she was free. I could see relief from itching come over her when we used the spray. Took about 2 weeks to fully irraticate her fur. (Golden Retriever with very heavy thick coat) Good luck!

#68066 - 08/24/05 03:03 PM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Fleas can really drive the poor animal nuts. I can't even imagine bugs crawling all over me. Used Borax years ago when I had the kennel in Illinois, forgot that...

#68067 - 08/24/05 08:18 PM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
Years ago my brother brought his dog when he visited....which had fleas!!! Of course I was itching & covered in spots!!!

I went to work & they made me stay in the backroom! Just in case I had chicken pox! [Smile]

It wasn't fun getting rid of them....... [Embarrassed] Another time we had a lice attack when we were watching my niece & nephew for the wknd!!! [Embarrassed] I think my brother planned this!!! [Smile] Haha

#68068 - 08/25/05 03:40 AM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
Perhaps you should check with your vet. It sounds like your dog may have developed a tolerance to that particular brand. There are other similar type flea riddance products (none that work as well as Frontline in my opinion) but one you might try is Revolution. It's expensive, but it also kills ear mites, prevents mange, and kills a few other things.

Kelly

#68069 - 08/25/05 09:38 PM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
These are some good suggestions ladies, thanks for the insight! I think I'll investigate ALL of them.

Wish me luck. Taz is tired of getting a bath every single week. LOL...

Whirlwind

#68070 - 09/23/05 03:20 AM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
ladybug Offline

My cat got fleas mysteriously after two years being indoors exclusively. Is it possible for someone else with a dog or cat to carry the fleas into my home especially if they bring in a dirty-looking stuffed toy?

#68071 - 09/23/05 04:57 AM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

The animal itself can only bring in the fleas, not the toy as the fleas can only exist on the blood of an animal. The other animal could have also dropped some eggs which hatched after it left and infected your cat. Get rid of them as fast as possible because they multiply quickly... [Mad]

#68072 - 09/24/05 12:10 AM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
irishmom46 Offline

Loc: Indiana
Fleas...they're awful, that's for certain. I have had inside cats forever and have had them contact fleas by sitting in a screened window area. I was amazed and astounded, but the cats NEVER went outside and there were no other animals in the house, so the window had to be the culprit.

#68073 - 09/24/05 02:38 AM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Were you aware that flea eggs can be brought in on the bottom of the shoes? In my home everyone removes their shoes in the laundry room entrance where the back door is in my home. NO one uses the front door ever, because I keep the front gate locked because of the dogs going in and out of the house. Haven't had a flea in over 15 years and I have a lot of dogs and cats coming in that I foster after being dipped...

#68074 - 09/24/05 10:35 PM Re: Flea Advice? Help!
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Fleas are a constant problem in the South, it seems as if they never go dormant in the yard. Actually, I think a lot of them come into our home on our legs and shoes, due to the fact that we have so many doggone squirrels in our area, they are always perched on our deck and just a-digging at themselves. At the first sign of fleas on any pet (dog or cats) bathe, put off flea bombs after we vacate for a few hours or do each room at a time, and frequent vacuuming and disposing each time of the bag. From what I have read, flea eggs can lay dormant and hatch up to 90 days after being laid, so the vigilance has to be an ongoing thing. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved