The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 207 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#67450 - 10/31/04 03:37 PM Benefits of Adopting Older Dog
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi Everyone!

I recently wrote an article on the benefits of adopting an older dog that was published in Critter magazine titled "Old Dog, New Friend: Why Senior Dogs make Wonderful Pets." Here's the link if you'd like to read it: http://www.kellylstone.com/docs/old.htm.

If you volunteer in animal rescue & wish to use the article as educational material, please feel free to do so as long as byline is included. I'd be honored!

For the animals,
Kelly

#67451 - 10/31/04 04:54 PM Re: Benefits of Adopting Older Dog
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Very good article, Kelly. I don't think a lot of people realize older dogs do make such great pets. Also, rescue dogs. Dave was under the impression rescue dogs had personality problems but a lot of times it's the human who misjudged the needs of the dog. Such as the apartment dweller who bought the border collie because they like the dogs "grin". A border collie is such a HIGH maintenance energy dog who DEMANDS work; putting such an animal into an apartment is a death sentence...one way or another.

We're trying to gentle and rescue a couple of dogs someone dumped on the mountain. The larger of the dogs looks like he has a broken leg and both are *very* wary. I can't blame them. We were over there Friday and met another man who was trying to do the same. At least we all know we're not alone in our mission. That helps.

#67452 - 11/01/04 08:28 AM Re: Benefits of Adopting Older Dog
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
That was a great article Kelly. And its so true.
Robin

#67453 - 11/02/04 03:18 PM Re: Benefits of Adopting Older Dog

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for reading my article. TCF, you are so right about Border Collies. They are high maintenance and have to have a "job". I read they are the number 1 dog to be dumped because people get them and then don't realize how high maintenance they are and can't provide for their needs. I have a BC/Lab mix here that is one smart cookie (that a friend rescued out of traffic one day). I have to take her for a long walk/jog every day or she is climbing the walls. I know she was someone's pet because she was already spayed and has very good "manners". I guess she was one who got dumped.

One idea for the dogs on the mountain-- one time I was helping rescue a skittish dog and a vet gave us a knock-out pill to put in some food. We waited until she ate the food and then got groggy, then we were able to get her in the car and to a vet. She also got a good home with a man who had been trying to catch her for weeks.

Good luck! I know those dogs appreciate your help.

Kelly

#67454 - 11/02/04 10:03 PM Re: Benefits of Adopting Older Dog
Claire Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
AAAAGH! It makes me so angry. How anyone can dump dogs, I will never know! I just cannot comprehend it, no matter how I try. I don't know how it happens but I am always coming across stray and lost animals and having to find homes for them. I would never just put them in a shelter or pound without doing my utmost to home them myself. I have been quite successful in doing this and because I walk dogs in the evenings, I have a lot of animal contacts. This helps immensely when searching for homes. As for Border Collies, they are my FAVOURITE dog. My husband's family have a big farm in the country and the border collies are amazing as sheep dogs. I love their intelligence and I love their temprment. I also like Jack Russells but all dogs are great!
Clairey

#67455 - 11/04/04 05:11 AM Re: Benefits of Adopting Older Dog
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The idea of the drugged food could work BUT you must remain there watching the dog until it passes out or becomes gentle enough to handle or it could wonder off and be at the mercy of any wild animal or possibly fall off a cliff whatever. You have to stay there until the animal is subdued. Always have a muzzle with you in case it comes to and is as terrified as it is likely to be. I am a rescue mom for all kinds of animals and my home at times resembles a zoo and I wouldn't change that for the world.... [Big Grin]

#67456 - 11/04/04 06:50 AM Re: Benefits of Adopting Older Dog
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Great article!

We have three dogs, all rescues. All very different in personality.

It seems each breed has a rescue program, too.
A friend is into Schnauzers, and has rescued three through their program.

#67457 - 11/06/04 03:32 PM Re: Benefits of Adopting Older Dog

Hi everybody!

Just found out that one of the dogs was adopted after someone read my article (a print version here in a local magazine). Another also got a home and a third is in a foster home that plans to adopt. That is so heartwarming!

Thanks for all the discussion about adopting rescued dogs. It's such an important issue, one that does not get near enough attention in my view. We must END the senseless killing of millions of healthy dogs and cats every year simply because there is no home for them! The animal overpopulation problem is created largely by humans and must be resolved by humans.

For the animals,
Kelly

#67458 - 11/07/04 03:07 AM Re: Benefits of Adopting Older Dog
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Kelly, Claire and all the other animal lovers among us. I hope you are reading and doing what I ask at the bottom of all my posts. This is somethjing we can ALL do easily, daily the click for food part and the other could be once in awhile. Read below and see what I mean. [Big Grin]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved