The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#66533 - 01/19/06 07:13 PM Sunday Drives & Cruising
XBWS Offline

Loc: Guilford, CT
During the sixties and early seventies each Sunday afternoon my family would hop into the car and go for a ride. We'd drive all over the countryside, stop for ice cream, and make it home in time for dinner.

In the late seventies once we kids had our licences, Saturday night was the night for cruising and listening to the oldies station, WCBS-FM out of NY, and talking about nothing special; just hanging out.

Once I got married in '82 we use to cruise on weekends for awhile. Especially during autumn or the Christmas season to see the lights. Our son, as a baby, would scream each time he saw decorations. But now with gas prices, it's just not what it used to be. Cruising has become an expensive pasttime.

#66534 - 01/20/06 08:13 AM Re: Sunday Drives & Cruising
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Suzieq,
I remember the Sunday rides out to the country . In fact we use to ride out to where my house was built . It was farm land them and you could see the cows eating the hay and grass . We would ride out in the fall and get cider from the old cider farm and summer we would go get peaches . Then we would come back and mother would fix that big Sunday dinner .

We did take are ride my husband and I to look at the Christmas lights this year . Good memories those were those days .

Now , that there is only the two us up we eat out on Sunday now.

#66535 - 01/20/06 08:35 AM Re: Sunday Drives & Cruising
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I remember all of us taking drives on Sunday too. I also remember piling in the car with Grandma between my sister and I in the back seat to look at Christmas lights. She would put a blanket over the three of us in the back seat and hold our hands as we looked at the lights. She would reminisce and tell us she and Grandpa never had trouble staying warm in the old Model 'T'!

Family drives are too expensive these days. hard to believe we are now saying , "those were the good old days", isn't it?

#66536 - 01/20/06 01:29 AM Re: Sunday Drives & Cruising
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Our routine on Sundays was Church then to the bakery for fresh hot bread and home for a scrumptous big breakfast. Mom would start the spaghetti sauce and chicken cacchitore and then we'd all pile in the car for our Sunday excursion. We always had a nice car and Sundays were the only day both my parents could take the time for us all to do something together. We kids played games and we all sang songs and laughed so much. Then to Jack Spratts in Miller Beach for huge double dip ice cream cones. The good old days were really good days...

[ January 20, 2006, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#66537 - 01/20/06 07:08 PM Re: Sunday Drives & Cruising
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Remember playing games in the car? First one to see out of state license tag? Car Bingo? Beginning with A and siting something for every letter in the exact order of the alphabet?

My family did Sunday rides too. And big Sunday dinners. Almost always roast beef with veggies.

#66538 - 01/21/06 08:35 AM Re: Sunday Drives & Cruising
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotsie,
That was what I forgot to mention the roast beef dinners and gravey and mashed potatoes . OH, yummy ! with all the vegtables and rolls . Anyone coming to dinner soon. ? Oh, the car bingo I remember that game .

#66539 - 01/20/06 09:13 PM Re: Sunday Drives & Cruising
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Hey, Dotsie, this brings back memories. I wrote a story called "Sunday Drives and Grocery Stops" about my dad's habit of waiting until Sunday to take all of us for a drive followed by a stop at the local car lots. They weren't open on Sunday, so he could roam around the lots without a salesman on your heels. Then we'd go for ice cream and a stop at the grocery. Ah, the memories.

I subbed the story a long time ago to Reminisce Magazine , and received an acceptance. I have no idea when it will be published (took over a year to get the letter of acceptance!), but I'll let you know when it comes out.

Here's the website:

Reminisce Magazine

#66540 - 01/20/06 09:23 PM Re: Sunday Drives & Cruising
cartwheel Offline

Loc: Washington state
I used to love those Sunday afternoon drives until I was about 13 or 14. My sister and I started begging to be left at home alone while my mom and dad and little brother went for a drive because those drives were "so boring". I can't tell you how many times I have looked back on that time now as an adult and realize those car rides hold some of my fondest memories of my childhood!

#66541 - 01/20/06 11:21 PM Re: Sunday Drives & Cruising
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Yes, those long Sunday drives. I look back now and have wonderful memories and the big Sunday dinners.
Sometimes mom would change the meat but roast beef was the favorite.
A few years ago we would take the Sunday drive and end up at a movie. Our son has fond memories of this.
Maggie

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved