The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 109 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#64352 - 01/29/04 06:20 PM Your favorite song in High School?
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
We've been talking about the vinyl records, but by the time I made it to high school, 8 track tapes were hot. [Big Grin]

Of course, records were still around, too, and one of the first gifts I received from a boy was a 45 with the song "Crimson and Clover." I can't hear that song without thinking of him, and the angst of high school.

What song reminds you of high school? Is it a good memory or a bad one?

Donna

#64353 - 01/29/04 06:58 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Although I am not a boomer, Crimson and Clover is one of my all-time fav songs. Now I'll be singing it in my head and pretending to rock out to the guitar solo all day.

#64354 - 01/30/04 12:43 AM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
MY GIRL!

#64355 - 01/30/04 01:45 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
smilingthrulife Offline

Loc: Baytown, Tx
"Are You Going to Strawberry Fair" by Simon and Garfunkle...It reminds me of junior high school singing that song in choir and had the biggest crush on a guy in class. He would sing solo's and I would just melt when I heard him sing this song. I got the pleasure of being his girlfriend for 2 weeks....Man was I crushed when he broke up with me.

#64356 - 01/30/04 07:10 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
"Deam"

Maggie

#64357 - 01/31/04 08:04 AM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Not my favorite, but the one I associate with high school dances and mixers...Color My World!

It was the big slow dance song that sent everyone scrambling! [Big Grin] Either already in the arms of your beau, anxiously waiting for someone to tap you on the shoulder, running to the bathroom because no one was asking you, or someone you weren't interested in was pursuing you. [Eek!] Fun memories!

#64358 - 01/31/04 05:19 AM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
The first time I heard Laura Nyro sing "Eli's A Coming" I ran out to get the album. Second favorite is "Do You Want Somebody to Love?" by Jefferson Airplane.

#64359 - 01/31/04 03:12 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Old songs and the memories come rushing back! Many of mine are from my older sister. She was the one in our house with the most 45's. Anyone recall how much they cost back then? I seem to remember about $.33 or $.45.?

#64360 - 01/31/04 09:53 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I LOVE 'Color My World.' Hadn't thought of that one in ages!

Another one that meant a lot to me was "Close to You" by the Carpenters. My crush at the time had blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. And I liked "We've Only Just Begun" until I had to sing it at every wedding. [Big Grin]

And we can't forget James Taylor, "You've Got a Friend."

Donna

#64361 - 01/31/04 11:03 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Anyone remember "Purple People Eater"? I think it was by Sheb Wooley??. I wasn't yet in high school, but I think it was the first 45 I ever owned.

I must have worn the grooves out playing it. There was a romantic song on the other side, but at the time it wasn't as important to me and I can't remember the name.

smile

[ January 31, 2004, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#64362 - 02/02/04 01:36 AM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
It is amazing how songs can make memories return. I find I associate alot of happenings with the songs of the time. As to Color My World, that was my college boyfriend, first fiance and my song, and everytime I hear it I still think of him, and this one particular dance we had and all of his frat brothers kid us about it to this day at reunions. As for high school, Barbara Ann by the Beach Boys comes to mind. This was popular because one of the basketball players name was Bob Moran and it sounded close and that sorta became a theme song for the school. You had to be there. I find myself listening to the "oldy" stations and always have. Consequently my children have grown up listening to all this music either there, usually in the car or even occasionally with the 45's that Istill have and still play occassionally. Just last night my daughter and her friend and I were driving back from her gymnastic meet from DC and all 3 of us would sing to the songs on the radio. Bridge Over Troubled Water comes to mind as one. There are so many songs and I do sing with them or dance to them most of the time, if I'm alone that is. Silly. I find that music is the part I enjoy the most about going to church too. I just adore Christmas Carols and listen to them from Thanksgiving to Christmas every year. I sing those and know most of the verses to alot of the songs. It isn't Easter to me unless I sing "Jesus Christ is Risen Today", one of my alltime favorites. I was at my parents the other day and found their appartment so very quiet, and realized that I missed the music. I am hardly ever at home when I don't have some kind of music playing, same goes for the car. If not music then I must have some kind of sports on either the tv or radio, baseball on the radio is my favorite. I used to have on orange transister radio that I would listen to Senator Games on. Yes, I grew up in DC, and became an Oriole fan only after the Senators moved to Texas. I used to have that radio under my pillow going to sleep and still remember listening to Joe Garrigiola and Chuck Thompson, 2 voices I can still recall vividly. It's funny how music can tap into your inner feelings so well. My daughter and a friend were studying for a history exam last week and they made up songs to help them remember facts. It was quite fun to listen to. They were laughing and having such a fun time. Enough from me, guess this was a topic I was very interested in.

#64363 - 03/14/04 08:37 AM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
How bout "Soldier Boy?" One of my favorites since fiance was in Viet Nam at the time.

#64364 - 03/13/04 11:18 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Now you are talking about MY music, the 50's and Motown. I did have 2 favorites maybe some of you remember. The first was and still is my very favorite, AT LAST by Etta James....then there is CHERRY PINK & APPLE BLOSSOM WHITE by Perez Parado....Music heals the soul and thats the truth.... [Razz]

#64365 - 03/13/04 11:29 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
A musician once talked to me about church music. He said, "music opens the heart for the message" And I think he's right. It seems like you never totally forget a melody once it is embedded in your heart. And every time you hear that melody, it takes you back to the emotion of another time.

smile

#64366 - 12/17/06 09:34 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School? [Re: smilinize]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
"Hey Jude", "Spirit In The Sky", & "Proud Mary".

I have so many 45's, I don't know what to do with them. I did start to convert alot of them onto CD's, but that is very time consuming.

#64367 - 12/17/06 11:58 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School? [Re: Cookie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Elvis Presley's "In the Ghetto", Cowsills "The Rain, The Park and Other Things" and "I Think I Love You" by the Partridge Family (blush).

I have dozens of 45's too. Just can't get rid of them, but don't know what to do with them either. I figure if we hold onto them long enough, the technology to easily transfer them to CD or MP3 will eventually come along...or the turntable will make a huge comeback!

(Maya Angelou)

#64368 - 12/18/06 12:32 AM Re: Your favorite song in High School? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
You ladies noticed how this thread was resurrected from 2004?

Hi, Cookie & Eagle: Thank goodness for that as I can now tell you that those 45's cost a pretty penny in London. If you've got any of the Beatles vinyl in their original sleeves, you'd be sitting on a fortune as well. So transfer to CD's but keep them. "Spirit in the Sky" or "Corner in the Sky" from Pippin?

I have too many favourites to choose a best"est" from.

As I type, I have Santana's "Samba Pa ti" on.

#64369 - 12/18/06 12:38 AM Re: Your favorite song in High School? [Re: Lola]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I think I have Hey Jude in its original sleeve...as well as the Archies' Sugar Sugar, and a few other more obscure titles. Hmmm, maybe I'll have to investigate this further...

Addendum: after posting the above, I searched out my 45 collection and to my dismay, found that my "Hey Jude" is missing. For almost 40 years I've kept them in a special pink 45 case, and it's moved everywhere I've ever lived. Since I haven't looked inside that box for probably 4-5 years, I have no idea when it disappeared. It was definitely there the last time I checked - but I can't remember when that was. It doesn't disturb me from a monetary point of view, but disturbs me that it's missing at all. All of the others seem to be there, but it's rather odd that the one that was probably the most valuable is the only one missing...that raises some disturbing questions...

Edited by Eagle Heart (12/18/06 03:42 AM)

(Maya Angelou)

#64370 - 12/18/06 01:03 AM Re: Your favorite song in High School? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Lola Offline

Does this bring back memories?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhY-dq4A8p8

#64371 - 12/18/06 01:13 AM Re: Your favorite song in High School? [Re: Lola]
Lola Offline

#64372 - 12/18/06 08:01 AM Re: Your favorite song in High School? [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
"The Look of Love"

Oh and all the Supreme songs! Every one of them ! "Baby Love, Stop in the Name of Love."
At the time it was a cultural significance to see three beautiful black women on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Oh yes I loved "Wild Thing" or "Summer in The City"

Last night I saw a short clip of some live band. Honestly I thought it was a gathering of the devils. Just horrible, but thousands of teenagers were screaming hysterically at the show. I know it's a generation thing, but our songs were like nursery rhymes in comparison!

Thanks for resurrecting this site Donna!

#64373 - 12/18/06 02:13 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School? [Re: Edelweiss]
Cookie Offline

Gosh Lola, I love those videos of the Beatles. I remember when they first made their appearance in America on the Ed Sullivan show. I think I have their first Album they made! George Harrison's sister, Louise, supposedly lived here in the states for many years with her husband and family. She lived in town not far from me. George would come to visit and stay with her allot. A few of the other Beatles came along with him a couple of times too. I have read that Louise had given one of the Beatle records to the local DJ and it is believed to be the first Beatle songs to play in America. The records were..."Love Me Do" and "From Me To You". George visited the radio station and gave the DJ a signed copy of "She Loves You". When George's sister sold the house to a local couple, it became a B&B and a museum of the Beatles.....the bed that George slept in, dish he ate off of, etc. (Ha.) I have seen on our local news that the house has recently been sold again, but still is a museum of the Beatles.

#64374 - 12/18/06 02:42 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School? [Re: Cookie]
Lola Offline

Hi, Cookie: George is my favourite Beatle! Concert for George was held at the Royal Albert Hall two years ago and his son, Dhani, is an exact copy of him. Here are links to that concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC1EZcrZEIs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aka4LiLveME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mu8D69uxA0

#64375 - 12/18/06 06:45 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School? [Re: Lola]
Cookie Offline

Wow, his son does look just like him! I love the song, "Photograph!" I bet there wasn't a dry eye in the house at the tribute to George. I Just watched the videos ....Where's my Kleenex!

#64376 - 12/18/06 08:34 PM Re: Your favorite song in High School? [Re: chatty lady]
BonnieM Offline

Loc: Seattle area, US
Chatty,

I LOVE "At Last" by Etta James! My husband took me to San Francisco for my 50th b'day to see her live. She opened with "At Last" and did a terrific version. I think I will never forget those opening bars -- one of my most favorite memories.

Bonnie
Are you feeling stuck, restless, or dissatisfied? Are you longing for more pleasure, passion, and purpose in work and life? Discover 'What Lights You Up' with my free Guide at http://www.labellavia.com

#64377 - 12/18/06 09:23 PM Where's that BonnieM...? [Re: Lola]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Hey BonnieM,
That was my maiden name, bonniem; guess we've got something in common. What say U?

#64378 - 12/19/06 03:21 PM Re: Where's that BonnieM...? [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

BonnieM. weocome to the neighborhood. I'm looking forward to hearing more about you. Don't be shy. Jump from forum to forum and share wherever...

#64379 - 12/19/06 08:55 PM Re: Where's that BonnieM...?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wow BonnieM,
Holy cow, getting to see Etta sing that song live. I would just die. She is such a strong performer and that song gives me goose pimples everytime I hear it, or her sing just about anything. By the way WELCOME to BWS forums. Glad to have someone with such exquisite taste, ha, ha!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#64380 - 12/19/06 09:03 PM Re: Where's that BonnieM...? [Re: chatty lady]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Eagle, the first song that I learned all the words to was "I Think I Love You" by the Partridge Family LOL
The music that reminds me of High School has to be everything by the groups Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.
Oh! And Kiss! How could I forget Kiss?
But my favorite, then and now, is David Bowie!

#64381 - 12/21/06 06:19 AM Re: Where's that BonnieM...? [Re: jabber]
BonnieM Offline

Hi, bonnierose!

Here I am, making a quick visit.

My maiden name is Bonnie M . . .. Well, there's more too it but people don't seem to use their real, full names here.
Are you feeling stuck, restless, or dissatisfied? Are you longing for more pleasure, passion, and purpose in work and life? Discover 'What Lights You Up' with my free Guide at http://www.labellavia.com

#64382 - 12/21/06 06:21 AM Re: Where's that BonnieM...?
BonnieM Offline

Thank you, Dotsie, for your welcome and encouragement.

I had intended to intro myself in the area where people seem to do that(and may still do so) but just couldn't resist responding about Etta James.

#64383 - 12/21/06 06:25 AM Re: Where's that BonnieM...? [Re: chatty lady]
BonnieM Offline

Chatty, thanks for the welcome to BBWS.

You know Etta has not been in good health for a # of years and her live performances haven't been great. We were so lucky we hit her on a night when she was terrific.

I've heard lately that she's lost a lot of weight, is healthier, and sounding better. Let's hope that so. In the meantime, she's got some great recordings we can always listen to.

#64384 - 12/21/06 02:28 PM Re: Where's that BonnieM...? [Re: BonnieM]
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Bonnie M,

Welcome to BWS - checked out your website - I love what you do!

Spent 4 wks in Seattle this summer - fell in love with your beautiful state!

danita

My most recent story for my mom:
http://www.heritagemakers.com/projectBro...tSponsor=384221

#64385 - 12/28/06 01:54 AM Re: Where's that BonnieM...? [Re: Danita]
BonnieM Offline

Hi, Danita! Thanks for the welcome & for taking the time to visit my website. Glad you liked it!

Seattle is indeed a beautiful place. And if you were here this past summer your timing was terrific as we had a particularly fabulous summer this year.

Warmly,
Bonnie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved