The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 102 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#6355 - 03/18/05 08:29 AM Re: keeping the spark alive
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Danita, I also know too much about my kids. I feel blessed that they will talk with me, but in a way it's a curse because I have to address the issues.

I can tell you this:
Parents make a huge difference in the lives of their kids. Whether the kids say they do, or not. I have heard so many stories about parents stepping in and putting a hault to certain behaviors and the kids either listen, or modify what they are doing.

Here's, or is it cheers...to keeping them on the right track as best we can.

#6356 - 03/17/05 09:32 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Did 'keeping the spark alive" somehow turn into a parenting topic?
Anyone have thoughts on the compatibility of parenting and sparks?
Just wondered...
smile

#6357 - 03/18/05 01:45 AM Re: keeping the spark alive
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh boy have I ever.....When my youngest son age 28 at the time started using drugs he and his wife were living in my home. I told him as I always have told both my boys. I am your MOTHER and I love you and am here for you and will pay for you to get professional help. Thats when the SPARKS started to fly and he moved out in a huff. Haven't seen him since and thats been 10 years ago now. Between my ex husbands sparks and my sons sparks, my butt is charred pretty good. OUCH!!!! [Eek!]

#6358 - 03/18/05 06:15 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
smile, I think it all boils down to communication of all parties and presenting a united front as parents. My two cents.

#6359 - 03/18/05 07:35 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
You can blame me for bringing kids into the "sparks catagory". Sorry.

I had a weak moment one day, wasn't seeing clearly, and posted here.

(and yes, Children do effect the SPARKS! The older my kids have gotten - the friskier I have become with their dad! wooo hooo. They are always telling us to get a room!) giggles.

Dotsie,

I have a question for you. I was going to take this to the "children's" section - but what the heck, we are here already.

My daughter has a friend in MD that she wants to come visit us here in CO. (for a wk to 10 days)

(I really hope not to offend anyone here, I'm not being judgemental, just protective of my daughter). I don't think much about others' lifestyle choices - this incident could affect our family.

The young girl claims to be a lesbian - I've never met her - and don't know what she is like. Lesbianism is one of the major topics of my daughter and hers' conversation.

My daughter is very "edgy". We call her "shock and awe". It seems like she is always trying to get a reaction from people.

We did allow my daughters' boyfriend (whom we had never met) come from MD for a visit. We did know, that he was going to be respectful to our rules..and lifestyle. We had my daughter sleep in OUR bedroom to keep any "creeping" from happening.

So, what would you do? would you allow her to come?

I am a loving, accepting, non-judgemental person. I have allowed my daughter to have her friends in our home - whom have issues that I know about. I treated them like I treat my own kids.

I haven't given my daughter an answer. Ugggh.

HELP!

Danita

#6360 - 03/18/05 10:02 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
Princess Lenora Offline

Danita, how old is your daughter? As far as "shock and awe" I recall how our parents were shocked by the long-hair of boys. That was nothing compared to these days when we have Brittany Spears' gyration and Michael Jackson in the news for molestation. It seems to me that society becomes de-sensitized, and children got to even greater lengths to see what they can do to grab our attention. I don't have kids, so what do I know. It's just an observation. Love and Light, Lynn

#6361 - 03/18/05 10:20 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Dots and Danita and all y'all,
I've been gone forever...I've been working way too many hours and trying to still be super woman at home....but this post...both topics the "spark" and the "teens"....well it speaks to me.

First the teens, Danita! I'm flying to Missouri on Wednesday to watch my oldest (19) graduate from Army Basic Training. He has become a sober, proud, disciplined soldier in a very short time. He has grown in ways I never thought possible. His last year and a half at home were tough as he went through the typical senior in high school, freshman in college nonsense. When he joined the service my heart began to break a little. I am so proud of him, but also, frightened about the future. But the letters we've been writing back and forth have strengthened our bond and shown me how much he has matured in a very short time. There were times I didn't think either of us would survive the "terrible teens!". But we have and have come out on the other side, dear friends!
I have two more at home, 15 and 14 and hope that I've learned from my experiences with the first and will be a better parent because of it.

And as for the spark....well, I never, ever had any desire to visit Missouri (my apologies to any of my fellow boomers from the show me state)...but since I have to go there to see my baby boy...I've decided my husband and I will spend the extra cash and get the suite w/ the double hot tub!!! Getting away from home and away from the bedroom wall we share w/ the teen next door will be a blast! Hand holding, walks, snuggles, the ability to apologize, always showing gratitude for the little things we do for each other....all keep the marriage alive. It really is the little things that wreck a marriage and the little things that save it!

I've missed you all so much and really need to get my home pc working right so I can post from home in the wee hours when menopausal insomnia strikes anyway!

#6362 - 03/18/05 10:22 PM Re: keeping the spark alive
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Oh PS....the last words I ever said to my dad were "I love you daddy" as I drove away from his house one beautiful sunday morning...his last words to me, "I love you honey!". He died 2 hours later of some massive brain event! At my house every morning begins and every evening ends with I Love You! to my husband and children!

#6363 - 03/19/05 01:03 AM Re: keeping the spark alive
Danita Offline

Kathryn,

Thanks for sharing.

So precious about your father. That's what I'm talking about. We JUST DON"T KNOW WHAT IS AROUND THE CORNER!!!

Very cool about your son. The military is an awesome place to "grow up". I was in the Navy for 10 years - it taught me that I can do anything (I was in intelligence, and learned ship, aircraft recognition and weapon systems. uggh). I can't even tell one car apart from another. I know in these times the military is more scary - there is more at stake!

hugs your way,
danita

#6364 - 03/19/05 01:09 AM Re: keeping the spark alive
Danita Offline

Lynn,

I haven't forgotten you. I feel like my life is a train - and someone else is in control.

I'm coming to the springs tomorow - I have a BIG arbonne party to do. I was just trying to figure out if I could get down there early enough to relax and visit with you.

What I thought I would do instead is visit you when I deliver the products (in about a wk.) My anxiety should be lower. Ha.

Bre is 16. Not too much of what she does shocks me (anymore, I should say). This lesbian thing is a little sensitive to me (she (Bre)CLAIMS to be bi-sexual).ugh. So, letting this girl (whom I don't know at all) come stay in my daughters' room with her for 10 days as a house guest?? Is risky to me. (like letting a sexual preditor in, I guess. (though my daughter would be a willing participant)

When my daughter is an adult she can do whatever her little heart wants to do....while she is in my home.......you know!

If the girl was local, I'd let her come over and get to know her. Her flying from long distance is just a big commitment if it doesn't work out.

You know?

danita

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved