The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#60532 - 04/19/07 07:56 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: NewLeaf]
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Well just FYI ladies, if a hairdresser assures you that a body wave is just a light perm or a perm done in big rollers--run! I have been the top 2 salons in my area in the past 3 years, went in asking for a body wave. In both cases I ended up with tight perms. I was so upset both times. In one case it was so bad my hair started breaking off at the roots it was so bad! They had to put relaxer on my hair (for free) to try to fix the mess. I had to wait until my hair grew, cut, grew, cut, grew, etc until the damage was removed.

I've been told you can't get a body wave anymore, no one makes it--which is really sad, it is so much nicer than a perm. Just makes your hair full of body with a slight wave. You can curl it and the curl holds, you can blow it straight and it doesn't look like kinky that's been straightened. sigh....

anyway thanks for checking in Pam!

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#60533 - 04/20/07 08:32 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: starting over]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
On Body Waves.....

It depends on who you go to, and what you ask for and your hair itself.
I keep my hair midback length and once a year I have a "loose perm" done
because if I ask for a body wave that will not last for long.
A loose perm gives you relaxed, loose curls and if need be, can be
toned down further with mousse or other favorite products.

I've never been happier with my hair...so full of body!

#60534 - 04/21/07 01:58 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: NewLeaf]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I permed my hair from the age of 22 through 35, stopped b/c I was worried about losing my hair and have this strange thing about cancer. That being, not standing near microwaves in use, using plastics in microwave, no longer perming, never using hair color, and no longer eat fruit out of a can. I know, I'm weird at that!

#60535 - 04/21/07 04:09 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: ]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
MG, I don't use plastic in micro's anymore either. I let the barriers down with cell phones and microwaves though. Hair color would cause cancer of the scalp?? I never thought of that one.

I don't use tin foil anymore in/on anything, don't eat processed food unless there's nothing else to eat and hot dogs are completely out.

#60536 - 04/21/07 08:24 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

I permed my hair from the age of 22 through 35, stopped b/c I was worried about losing my hair and have this strange thing about cancer. That being, not standing near microwaves in use, using plastics in microwave, no longer perming, never using hair color, and no longer eat fruit out of a can. I know, I'm weird at that!

Hey Mustang, I gave up perming hair over 25 years ago. It damaged my hair and caused it to turn less black natural colour.

I have never coloured nor bleached my hair yet. Too much of an effort and cost. And I don't trust microwaves to stand near the machines while it's on. My style of cooking is not tasty from a microwave anyway. So we just use it for melting cheese on bread, reheat soup, etc. After all, a machine wears out over time, all that slamming of door every day ... how can it be airtight??

And yes, there's only tupperwear plastic that I use in microwaves. The Canadian federal govn't issued a health alert (from Health Canada) warning NOT to use yogurt containers for reheating in microwaves. The plastic does leach off some dangerous stuff.

I'm just as paranoid as you Mustang.

#60537 - 04/22/07 03:39 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: orchid]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Orchid, you couldn't be as embarrassed as the half moon and coin slot smiling at me as I turned the isle at Carolina Pottery today! (repairman laying on the floor) Women are so much more savier in low riders than men!

#60538 - 04/22/07 06:14 AM Post deleted by Dotsie [Re: NewLeaf]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland

#60539 - 04/22/07 05:11 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
madhatter Offline

Loc: North Florida
No matter how hard I try, I always seem to come back to a style that looks like a combo of Tipper Gore's and Tenille's from the Captain and Tenille. Remember them?
When you have fine hair with little body, your choices are somewhat limited. I went with body waves until a few years back. Then, for some reason, my hair revolted. Not only did the waves not last, but my hair broke off and did all kinds of strange things. Ah well...better to just go with what it will do rather than force it into something it doesn't want to do. Come to think of it, since I passed fifty, I don't do much of anything I don't want to do...

#60540 - 04/22/07 05:50 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: madhatter]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
mizkitty, love your pic. Newleaf when are you gonna give us a look at you?
Madhatter, I too have fine thin hair. It is very long and I need to cut about 6" off. Don't know why tho, I usually pony tail it. Do you ponytail?

#60541 - 04/22/07 06:45 PM Post deleted by Dotsie [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved