The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#60522 - 07/29/06 02:32 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: yepthatsme2]
JaMaPh Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
My mother sent me a ponytail of my hair from who knows when?
Like, I wasn't around her much, so when did she ever get it?

I have been wearing mine short, short. Last year I buzzed it, .5 inch all over. LOVED IT. But now I see I need more fluff, not so austere looking, so I am growing it...again. *groan*
I have thick hair, thicker if I use my shampoo. So I alternate between store bought and mine.
I use my own Sea Buckthorn Hair Therapy for conditioner and hair growth.

But, I cut it short 'after, during, while' menopause because by then, I am sick to death of doing whatever how I look for someone else. Not that I've ever really done that, but a little I did. Hubby liked long hair, so I kept it long when we married. Then in a fight, I put it in a pony tail and cut it off. I secretly had wanted too for some time, this was a good reason...to tick him off. LOL

But it's hot here. And I can't STAND hair in my face and I get heat stroke, so having hair on my neck is not an option in the summer. Howsomever, there are tons of women here, who work INSIDE mind you, that have long hair. However, they don't go camping, [they have rv's], they don't go fishing [perish the thought] and they stay inside all the time.
I'll see how long I can stand to get it. and I'll cut if off around shoulder length, to have enough to put in a banana clip hopefully, but at least to pull that stuff off me in a clip. I'm just tired of clips and stuff. Why not just cut it off?

Last summer I colored mine bright red. LOL I loved it, but thought others might think I was one of those old women that do girly things.

I do NOT want to be seen as that. However, I am more the Auntie Mame type.

Janine Marie

#60523 - 07/30/06 10:59 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: JaMaPh]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You sould like our lady Meredith who did hers purple once, God love her. She is certainly no follower or worrier about what people think. I have mine cut as short as possible right now and it is so easy to manage and looks cute if I must say so myself....I fussed with my very long hair all my life and that was plenty. Now give me comfort and convenience and I am a happy camper....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#60524 - 07/31/06 04:46 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: Pattyann]
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
I change my style and color A LOT in various short lengths. Last time a grew it long, my hair was limp and not great, after a lifetime of thick and full. I think the stress of recent years has taken a toll on my hair.

#60525 - 04/18/07 02:21 AM Post deleted by Dotsie [Re: flipperjo]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland

#60526 - 04/18/07 02:57 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
Pam Kimmel I sure hope you are still out there! In one of the origianl posts on hairstyles you mentioned getting a body perm. I used to be able to get body perms all the time. Now the hairdressers (I've asked at several different places) all look at me like I'm from another planet. They keep telling me there's no such thing! I know I used to get body perms. They are not like a regular perm at all--they just give light wave and body. Now all I seem to be able to get is kinky perms--I hate them! Do you know what brand you used? Can you shed any light on where to find these days? Signed....Waveless in Washington

How we handle change determines our Destiny. P. Trapp
www.pattiswriting.com
www.marykay.com/ptrapp777

#60527 - 04/18/07 05:17 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: starting over]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
So,
I use to get body waves (body perms) all the time. You are so right, there IS such a thing. Have you "googled" it?

ps--I'll see if Pam has time to drop by and answer the question!

Edited by jawjaw (04/18/07 05:17 PM)

#60528 - 04/18/07 08:48 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: jawjaw]
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Hi Waveless in Washington (tee hee)....I had the body perm back in 2005 and it was done in a salon. I have no idea what brand they used but they definitely gave me one. If you have a good hair stylist who will LISTEN (you know how some of them won't let you do what you want to do to your own hair!!), let her know that you don't want a "full blown" kinky perm - just a light wave and body. I bet they can use regular perm solution and leave it on for a VERY SHORT time and get a similar effect. I really wasn't aware the day of the body perm was gone - but there are ways around that I would think.....I have so little hair these days (after chemo) that I wouldn't dare risk any kind of perm but as soon as I get some back I'm going to see if I can get another body perm. The other thing I've done - although not in the last year - is keep my hair colored because that thickens my hair follicles enough to give me some great body without any kind of perm.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!! Let us know how this turns out will ya?

#60529 - 04/19/07 03:45 AM Post deleted by Dotsie [Re: Pam Kimmell]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland

#60530 - 04/19/07 12:31 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I can't answer that, but I DID do a "google" (my answer for everything) and here are some facts I picked up. I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV, but I thought these were interesting. Yes?

We naturally lose about 100 hairs a day so if you are losing more than this, it is something that should be looked into. Please don't worry. An apparent increase in hair loss is a very common experience and will normally settle down. Stress is one of the main contributory factors. Anyway, there is some factors that attribute hair shedding:

* It has been documented that selenium sulfide (the active ingredient in selsun blue) causes hair loss;

*Do you have thyroid problem? Thyroid can also be reason for hair loss, so be sure to have the condition looked at.

*Are you over-processing your hair ie. coloring, bleaching, perming and straightening, if done improperly, can cause hair to break off or fall out, and you'll have to wait for healthy hair to grow back in. Frequent relaxing using a hot comb can cause permanent hair loss.

*Are you taking any certain drugs except ur multivitamin?Check your multivitamin whether it contains iron,zinc,vitaminB,C,E,copper.Those help prevent hair loss and greying. Certain drugs can also take their toll on once flourishing and healthy tresses. However, these conditions are usually temporary, the hair shedding stops and healthy re-growth occurs with time.

If you find that suddenly your hair is falling out in handfuls, it would be a good idea to mention the fact to the doctor or a dermatologist.

#60531 - 04/19/07 12:43 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: jawjaw]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I didn't know people still got perms, thats how far out of the loop I am.

I used to buzz my hair and spike it up in the front when I drove a semi. I'm tiny and wore a lot of leather and denim so I looked somewhat like that gal on the Eurythmics or like Sharon Stone did for a while. I got a lot of comments that I looked like Sharon Stone.

Now its long and light blonde underneath and light brown (tan) on top of the blonde giving it a multi level look.

I cut it sort of in the Jennifer Anniston style (layered) as I like it to blow and wave and flutter in the light Florida breezes. Its very thick and shiny like my dad's and sometimes instead of using the straightener, I just let it lay in shiny ribbons like dreds.

I've been crimson red, jet black, and everything in between, but always go back to some shade of blonde. I have no idea what my "natural" hair color is and don't care.

Along with the hair I have piercings. My ears and my nose but don't like to see women wear so much bling they can't make it through the metal detectors at the court house.

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved