The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#60502 - 06/07/06 10:00 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
Hi Cookie!
I went through similar tactics when I was younger about my hair-LOL! What a trip! What really changed that was when I found that it took a solid half-hour to blow dry my below shoulder-length hair(I was in my mid-20's at the time)and I was up for re-thinking my hair. A magazine at the time had a feature article on "free hair" - with naturally-curly people who finally embraced their natural texture with an appropriate cut by someone who knows how to deal with curly hair. One of the women in the article had similar hair texture to mine, and looked like a million bucks in the after photo! The salon featured in the article was in NYC where I was living at the time. I basically ran to the phone and set up an appointment right away. I was a bit apprehensive at first, by my cutter started with just snipping a bit in front - voila, instant, beautiful loose curls - I have never looked back since. Into the trash went my big rollers and hairdryer. To this day I don't use a dryer or any other heat-styling stuff. Color is the only thing I do(as I mentioned above), and with scrunching gel, I'm good!

#60503 - 06/08/06 12:00 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
If I didn't color, I'd be totally gray! First I paid to have it colored (weave) and then it grew too expensive so I started doing it myself. But... I gave up and went yesterday to get it done again and the color looks great.

Regarding cuts, I have a tendency to let mine grow out, then I get it into layers because it's so boring, and don't like the layers, so I let it grow out again. I'm in the grow out stage now... [Smile]

#60504 - 06/08/06 05:34 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Cara, you are so lucky to have found someone who knows how to cut curly hair. I'm jealous. [Big Grin]

#60505 - 06/09/06 04:42 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I have naturally curly hair and went through it all during the 60's and 70's. Everyone with straight hair loves it because they pay for it. I was a carrot-top but age has taken some color out so I throw on a little auburn to keep it interesting. It goes with my green eyes and freckles.

Reading your posts, I'm worried I have a menopausal haircut. How do I know?

#60506 - 06/09/06 03:56 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Saundra, I also have wavy hair that I straighten sometimes and it used to be auburn. It has faded quite a bit and I also color, but the color I use is lightest golden brown. It turns a little redder after being in the sun. I've tried the auburns, but they make my hair look too too fake.

Does the humidity affect your hair? There's no way I can wear it straight when it's humid.

As for menapausal hair, I think it's the short, permed stiff teased up bob. A woman I know has that look and she went to my salon, got it fixed really cute, but she went directly home and started teasing and spraying - she ended up with the same look she had. Look in the fashion and hairstyle magazines to get an idea. I've worn my hair almost the same for many years, I don't want a super trendy look either.

Daisygirl

[ June 09, 2006, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Daisygirl ]

#60507 - 06/10/06 12:10 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
You all do anything special to manage your natural curls other than wash, gel, and go? I use to cuss at mine sometimes, but that just seemed to make my hair curlier! [Big Grin]

#60508 - 06/10/06 03:29 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I am fortunate that my haircutter knows how to cut curly hair. I put nothing on it because I don't like the way those things make my hair feel. I recognize that I have no control and I'm over it. I work outside so you can imagine what these hot humid days do to me (95 today). I let others deal with how I look - I can't see myself at work so it doesn't bother me.

#60509 - 06/10/06 05:50 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
The grass is always greener huh? Mines straight as a board and I'd love curls too! I also wish I could wear my hair super short. Some people look so cute that way. I've got a square/roundish face and I don't like how I look with short hair, makes my face look big. I think women start cutting their hair at this age because its easier and we get tired of it. I'm pretty active and it would be nice to hope in and out of the shower and just run my hands through my hair. (Mines long, auburn, and I color it myself).

#60510 - 06/10/06 06:15 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I too have a square face and have been in the process of growing it into something for over a year now. I have a picture of Diane Keaton (who also has a square face) that I drag along to every hair cut, but for some reason, I never come out looking like the picture.... I especially liked her hair in the movie "as good as it get's"

I have 90% gray and wouldn't go back to the rat race of coloring for anything. But, I have a few quirky cowlics that drive my stylist nuts (which is why I'm still in the process of growing it out. She keeps cutting the cowlic off and I'm back to square one...

#60511 - 06/11/06 06:48 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sounds like thats your problem browser57. That or you need a new stylist, this one seems to have reached her peek with your hair.

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved