The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#60492 - 09/15/05 05:02 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Brenda ,

I had jet black hair growning up and at sixteen I saw one gray hair and then it really started after I had my daughter and not sure why . I have read thyroid problems make gray hair . I had surgery on a thryord cyst last year and still have my right lobe and normal thyroid reading . So, not sure where I got it only from mother maybe .

I hate my gray hair which the hairdresser said it is white under all that color . For which I keep at a dark brown now. Clothes did not look good with my gray hair and I thought I looked like grandma smith ,but I couldn't she had jet black hair when she died and so did my father . I look at least I have been told I look 10 yrs younger . Hurray for me! I lost 20 pds and that helped me out a good bit . I went to the outlet and got new clothes this summer . Donated the old clothes to the hospital sale. That was a good thing.

I have seen some very pretty gray hair . My white hair looks like my 94 yr old mother now . My mother wanted me to color my hair . She did hers for a long time.

Just some thought on this .

[ September 14, 2005, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#60493 - 09/15/05 06:56 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Nancy50, you learn something new everyday. Who would have thought grey hair and thyroid?
My eldest daughter has a goiter. Believe it or not... doctors, take the blood test and tell her everything's fine.
My youngest daughter has Hashimotos, at first they thought Graves. Same with her, has symptoms gets blood test, shows nothing, so they do nothing.
Thyroid runs in my family, mother had it, as does my brother.
Had my doctor check for me, but the blood test showed no. Am I surprised?
Was reading on-line yesterday about thyroid testing article that said...

You take an old-fashioned mercury-type thermometer and shake it down and put it on the nightstand before going to bed (shake it down to below 95 degrees). In the morning on awakening, before arising or moving around, put the thermometer under armpit for 10 minutes. If temp is below 97.8, the person likely needs thyroid or, if they're on thyroid, they need more thyroid. The temp should be between 97.8-98.2.

Not sure the regular medical doc's are willing to except this.
They don't accept to much, unless confimed by blood testing.
Makes me want to jump up and down and throw tantrums. [Mad]

Well, I see my meno symptoms are alive and well with me this morning...I have already took the hairstyle forum and turned it into thyroid. [Eek!]

#60494 - 09/15/05 08:27 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Hey, Brenda ,
You might be on to something . After surgery I lost those 20 pounds and don't like a lot of the same foods anymore . I not a big dessert eater anymore still crave watermelon and not sure why . I can't stand anything too close to my neck where I had surgery . I had grained a lot of weight with the cyst goitor I had . Maybe I will try the test . I wonder about my T3 level .

My mother had thyroid surgery in the 1950"s the same place as mine . In the genes I guess .

Thanks

#60495 - 12/29/05 04:35 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Bunnylady Offline

Loc: Georgetown, TX
I liked the new version of the flip that came out- wore it like that thru my early 50's- I moved and found a new stylist who does precision razor cuts- I took her a picture and she did real good getting close to the idea of what I wanted- short and spiky- and blond highlights- no gray yet- will highlight as long as I can- I use Redken Water Wax to shape and spike- the haircut made me feel so young I went on a diet and bought myself a COACH handbag- now I got the hair- got to get the body back

#60496 - 12/29/05 04:47 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Welcome Bunnylady...

Week before Christmas I'm in the mall, walking by the hair salon, so I go in...already I've got this feeling in the pit of my stomach. Something is telling me...don't do it.

Did I listen? No, I did not...now I've got this lop sided something or other. My hair is really thick, think alot of stylists have trouble cutting thick hair.
About the only think I can do right now is spike my hair. [Roll Eyes]
When will I ever learn?

Wanted to welcome you...all the women here are very supportive and helpful.

Do need to warn you that you will find yourself her daily.

#60497 - 12/29/05 06:44 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Hairstyles...yuck. Mine is about four colors...blond, gray, silver and reddish highlights. My head looks like a foxes tail 'cept the rest of me isn't as sleek.

A friend just had her hair cut in a "helix cut" and that's what I want...except they don't do that around here. What they do do around here costs $7 if you wash it yourself and $12 if they have to wash it. o joy...not.

I really, really, really like a great haircut. I don't color my hair except for sometimes, just for grins and giggles, I'll put in purple and orange highlights that wash out. I just really like a nice haircut. Dave and Daddy were talking about getting haircuts and Dave said he was paying twenty bucks for a haircut. Daddy stared at him and said, "TWENTY BUCKS! I only pay $2.50 for my haircut." Dave looked at him and said, "yes, and it looks like it." They bothed laughed because it's true...Daddy's head looks like sidewalls on a 56 Caddy but hey! he's happy so what do I care?

So...anyone know where I can get a helix cut in driving distance of nowwhere?

#60498 - 06/07/06 07:37 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
"A young guy asked me one time, why do women always cut their hair in these menopausal haircuts when they get older?"

I've wondered the same thing! I can't tell you how many times I've seen a woman who had perfectly nice hair(in a cut that was flattering and worked with her hair texture)get it all cut off in one of these sexless, "no-nonsense" type of haircuts in a misguided tactic of saying that their vanity no longer matters at menopause. True, beauty is different in at various stages of life, but we are still women, even without our periods! There's a difference however between the no-nonsense cuts and an appealing short cut.
The term "age-appropriate" haircut or style of dress for that matter just makes me want to scream! As far as what is actually appropriate, that is an individual matter - some people really do look better in shorter hair, others can have long, and fortunately there are plenty of beautiful hairstyles available in all lengths - find the one that works with your hair texture, features, overall style and go with that.
Personally, I do my own color(a rich coppery brown, no generic blonde for me)and I have a haircutter that knows how to deal with naturally-curly hair - my hair skims shoulder-length at the bottom layers, and the other layers frame my face. Some drugstore gel, and scrunching, and I'm good to go! I get tons of compliments too - have referred several folks to my cutter!

#60499 - 06/07/06 06:56 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
My hair is highlighted by God ...ggg... and it's blonde, silver, white and gray. I use a blueing shampoo and the cut is in a bob/old fashioned page boy that I can shampoo, towel dry and finger comb.

Sometimes I'll streak in some purple or orange highlights, that wash out, just for grins. In the past decade plus, I've gotten away from using blow driers, hot curlers, curling irons and my hair is in the best shape ever.

I don't think it makes any difference how old a woman is and what her hair looks like as long as she feels like a million bucks!

#60500 - 06/08/06 07:50 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I have finally learned to embrace my hair after years of fighting it. I have natural curly hair & it has always had a mind of its' own. When I was jr. high age, I covered my hair with dippy-do and rolled it up with extra large hair rollers to try to get my hair straighter. Then in high school, I ironed it! Yep, my friend would comb my hair out on an ironing board and iron it for me. With that method, I had stick straight hair with split ends....and it stayed straight until I would go out in the humidity. What can I say, I was young and dumb. [Roll Eyes] Next, blow drying the hair days came with the big round brush to help style the hair. Awww, the Farrah Fawcett look....remember that! Anyhoo, that was me fighting my curls forever it seemed like. My husband never could figure out why I fought my curls so much. He likes my curly hair and said to me that women pay big bucks to have curls like I have....Yeah, yeah,whatever! So one day no so long ago, I made an annoucement to him that I was going all natural because I was tired of fighting with this hair. He said, "Good! Does that also mean you are going to quit coloring your hair and wearing make-up too?" ......Hey let's not jump off a cliff here, pal! [Big Grin]

#60501 - 06/07/06 08:03 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I have 'stick' straight hair and kept it short and permed for years. It is now long( to my bra strap) and I had it hilighted red and blonde streaks because I wanted it that way. Well, seems the young uns like it and a 21 yr old girl at work said "I hope you don't mind, I liked your hair so much I asked my friend to do mine like it". I alsolike the pig tails that are hanging from the center back of the head. Anyone else?
chick

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved