The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 168 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >
Topic Options
#60512 - 06/11/06 10:06 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
santababy Offline

Loc: Lorain, Ohio
I think I probably have a menopausal hair style too. I have been trying to get a new doo-
. I found this web site where you can pick your face type and they will tell you what styles you should use. You can even up load your own picture to do it.It is called a virtual hairstylist. I color, I'm not ready to go the gray route yet, maybe when I have horrible arthritis I will.
I really don't care about what others think as long as I'm happy with it.

#60513 - 06/12/06 04:00 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Ever since hot flashes, my hair has been a nightmare. I have really thick hair and I can remember as a little girl crying when my mom would brush it and try to get the tangles out.

After having my hair short for nearly ten years, I was finally able to grow it out. I hesitated because I had always heard this about a woman in the mid thirties and up, "A woman that age shouldn't have long hair". Or "a woman that age doesn't look good with long hair". Well, I don't agree with that.

Either I need to have it short or keep putting it in a ponytail because I sweat all the time now. Unfortunately, the ponytail gives me a headache eventually.

I would really like to cut it to where it's at the shoulder with a style to it. Only problem with that, I would have to blow dry it and style it and that would be a nightmare now.

I choose not to color it as well, and I have a salt and pepper type color. My daughter is constantly trying to get me to color my hair. I just don't want to have to deal with the chemicals. Plus I earned the salt part.

Cheers,
Cathi

#60514 - 06/12/06 08:50 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
to Optimumsteps: If you get your hair cut at the length you are thinking of, to avoid the dreaded blow-drying etc., look at some pictures of hairstyles that feature the same texture of hair that you have(straight, wavy, curly, mixed, kinky, etc.)and really explain to your haircutter that you don't want to have to go through a song and dance just to "style" your hair. If they are worth their salt, they will cut your hair so you can go with alot less fuss. Since you say your hair is very thick(be blessed - so-o many people at menopause have the OPPOSITE problem!)if it is also wavy, some longish layers would ease the weight, and look good, too. Towel-drying, and working some or styling creme through the hair, and you're good. IMO, if you have to struggle with your hair just to get it presentable, you've got the wrong cut for your texture! BTW, are you addressing the hot flashes? Sounds awful to be that hot ALL the time!

#60515 - 06/13/06 01:37 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I once worked for a woman who told me that a short haircut is the last step before a facelift.

#60516 - 06/13/06 09:46 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Wow thanks cara4art, I am quite surprised that my hair hasn't thinned out by now. In fact, it seems thicker than ever. I think the vitamin supplements that I've been taking most of my adult life has contributed to that. I have had hot flashes for 4 years now. I had a hysterectomy then and that is what triggered the menopause.

My problem has been finding the right person to do my hair. My experience has been either butchering it or someone that's afraid to even touch my hair.

I am going to write down your suggestion, and thanks again.

Saundra, that is funny. See I wanted the long hair so I can put it up in a ponytail. I was hoping that would give me a facelift and an eyelift. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked that way, LOL.

Cheers,
Cathi

#60517 - 06/14/06 10:21 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Everyone who hasn't seen me in a few years tells me how nice the color is coming in on my salt & pepper (maybe 70/30% now). I choose to believe them, although it's hard to get used to my hair being so light.

Mostly I cut my own hair but about every 2 years I splurge and have it done professionally. Last year I walked into a Hollywood salon and got a stylist who had a multi-colored mohawk. No, I didn't get the same [Roll Eyes] But I wanted something a little less middle-aged suburban lady. He said my bangs were "stiff" and did an interesting feathered layered bang look, which I can't do myself so I'm back to my Bettie Paige '50s chop. He also buzzed down the sides pretty short, which was good as it was July.

I'm leaving for NY in 36 hours and am trying to control myself to not do anything weird with my hair before I leave. I'd get a NY do but I think I'm out of money after travel expenses and gifts for Mom and the rest of the family.

#60518 - 06/15/06 04:00 AM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
How exciting for you Meredith to be going to NY. I hope you have a safe journey and a wonderful, interesting yet restful time. Can't wait to hear all the news when you return. Is hubby going too?

#60519 - 07/14/06 04:01 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I had to laugh while reading through these posts. My mom is one of those ladies who believes in the 'short and permed' look. Once I turned 40, she kept telling me I should cut my hair (at that time it was long, red, and permed) because it was unbecoming to me as an 'older woman.' Of course I didn't listen!

I do remember as a teenager and into early 20s rolling my hair on empty orange juice cans. How did we ever sleep in those things? LOL

I did get it cut short after my divorce and instantly regretted it. My hair is baby fine and thin and I always thought it was straight. Now I've let it grow and discovered it has a really nice wave to it.

I was lucky to find a stylist who also has fine, thin hair. And she loves to play with color. Now my hair is mostly red (not auburn!) with chunks of blonde and black. I love the way it looks. I have also colored the blonde chunks with a temporary color on occasion - fuschia, purple, red, hot pink, whatever is really bright. She loves experimenting, and so do I!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#60520 - 07/16/06 02:32 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
And they thought we were daring in our youth! Yonuh, I'd love to see a photo of you. Do you have one online with your new hairdo?

#60521 - 07/16/06 02:34 PM Re: Hairstyles for Boomer Women
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I have no photos of my current self, Dotsie. I was always the photographer for the family, so I have very few photos of me at all.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved