The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 227 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#59693 - 03/23/04 01:47 PM Re: tired of pain
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Gee, smilinize, you're a worse wreck than I am! Sort of...

I have degenerative arthritis in my neck which probably causes a lot of the migraines. Here's a description of migraines for those of you blessed to never have them: imagine a 20-lb. iron skillet. Imagine someone banging it repeatedly into your head, sometimes days at a time non-stop. [Frown] This is what a migraine feels like, and I get them every few weeks, and sometimes nothing, repeat nothing, helps.

But in between bouts, I think I have a pretty positive attitude.

#59694 - 03/23/04 05:55 PM Re: tired of pain
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Meredith
Your migraines sound awful. I've seen people with them in the hospital and they look so miserable.
I know of no successful treatments at all and even most pain meds never seemed to help much.
I think you and I might pray differently, but I'm sure we both pray. I'll say a prayer for you in my way and you can accept it in yours.

As to my being a wreck. You are so right.

My daughter says, "Mom, you're in pretty good shape for ROADKILL." [Smile]

Please keep us informed about what the doc says about the pains in your chest. I'm sure you will be in all our prayers.
smile

[ March 23, 2004, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#59695 - 03/23/04 07:10 PM Re: tired of pain
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My daughter went through a period of time when she had migraines. It's one of the worse things I've witnessed as a parent. Her pain was horrendous.

She only had a few. We went to the doctor and she gave us a nasal spray to take when she felt one coiming on. Just having the spray in the house worked. She's never had to use it.

Meredith, have you tried that? I'm sure you've tried everything, but just in case, it's called Imitrex Nasal Spray.

Each spray has 20 mg of sumatriptan.

#59696 - 03/24/04 03:27 AM Re: tired of pain
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Nothing is as bad as constant pain. It ruins a persons life, even their personality changes. How could it not? I recently, dah, 3 years ago, ordered a covering for my bed with magnets sewed inside and all my backaches, joint pain and leg soreness has disappeared and I can tell the difference when I haven't slept on them for more than several days, like when I was traveling alot more. I have Diabetes and neropothy. Your nerves hurt like a firery hell BUT not when I use the magnets. I have recommended them to many people for all types of aches and pains and they work. For migraines buy several small sizes and literally tape them to your temples, violia, migraines gone. Just a suggestion of a tried and true cure for many aches and pains. [Wink]

#59697 - 03/24/04 04:03 AM Re: tired of pain
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I have Imitrex in both pill and injectable. I've been reticent to try the nasal spray because I'm prone to nosebleeds.

The magnet idea sounds interesting. Can I use refrigerator magnets (and look like a dolt, but who cares?) or do I need a special type?

#59698 - 03/24/04 04:07 AM Re: tired of pain
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

smilinize, when I was in cancer treatment, I had people praying and meditating for me in practically every religion and belief system on the planet. I still think that part of the reason I got better was cuz I had all bases covered! [Big Grin]

#59699 - 03/25/04 08:05 AM Re: tired of pain
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by meredithbead:
I have Imitrex in both pill and injectable. I've been reticent to try the nasal spray because I'm prone to nosebleeds.

The magnet idea sounds interesting. Can I use refrigerator magnets (and look like a dolt, but who cares?) or do I need a special type?

Dolt! I love that word and haven't heard it in years. [Big Grin]

Not sure but I think you need magnets that are made for this purpose. Of course they are pricey!

Chatty, my husband is a Type 1 and our daughter is a Type II. I'm way too familiar with the disease. [Wink] Sounds like you take good care of yourself. Is your neuropathy in your feet?

#59700 - 03/24/04 11:45 PM Re: tired of pain
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
They do have kits with multiple size magnets in them. BUT I will confess that after I read a multitude of reports on magnets and one night my foot hurt so bad I couldn't stand [Frown] so I took the magnet part of a flower on my frig and taped it to my foot. It seemed like about an hour and the swelling was gone [Smile] and the pain as well, and didn't return for a week. Since I have the covering on my bed, my entire body if subjected to a 'positive energy flow' nightly and my aches and pains are a thing of the past. I thank God every morning when I literaly spring out of bed to begin my day [Big Grin] ....I use to barely crawl out and was achey all day...and ladies at close to 64, I'm no spring chicken. [Eek!] My mother tried magnets for her gout and says shes cured, after years of terrible pain. Cheap prescription, and NO side effects. [Wink]

#59701 - 03/25/04 06:15 AM Re: tired of pain
smilingthrulife Offline

Loc: Baytown, Tx
Hmmmm....magnets? Well I have seen the advertisments but never knew anybody thats tried them.....I must try...where can I get them...?

#59702 - 03/25/04 07:19 AM Re: tired of pain
garrie keyman Offline

Loc: Lititz, PA
Okay, I'll 'fess up. I'm magnetic (and I'm not just talkin' just about my personality!). My hubby is, too. He's had back aches for years -- ever since a tree fell on him when he was a young man and was helping his father cut down a tree at his farm. Sure am glad I missed all that excitement!

Anyway, a few years back I started in with back aches, too. It was after I had hurt my back pretty badly while trying to help Mike move a concrete slab out by the barn. WELL! Talk about pain and imobility! But I think things never healed 100%. I had heard that once you hurt your back you'll always have back trouble. I hated thinking I was going to be counted among the many so cursed.

But chronic pain developed in time. At first I thought it was the kitchen chair I sat in to type once I became a "regular" at the computer keyboard. So we boutght a nice swiveling/rocking/wheeling desk chair for me, deserving future best-selling novelist that I was 'n all! That actually made a difference -- for a time.

But then the pain returned. It was constant.

I'm not a fan of meds and pills but I would take ibuprofen. It helped a little but nothing seemed to take the ache away completely. Being a jogger, this proved a nagging concern. It hurt when I stood and it hurt when I sat. I also have a house full of kids to care for so I needed to find something that worked .

That's when I happened into a store across the street. I know this fella a bit. My husband and his wife work for the same company and he's sold me a few things through the years and moved our piano for one change of address (it's a music/used instrument store).

So I happened to see a display he had set up on magnetic shoe inserts -- a side businees he started but doesn't push -- after he had back trouble and happened across the product. I asked about it and he gave me a demo, explaining a lot of his buyers are police officers (he knew I had been a cop). He removed his own shoes (in which he had a pair of these inserts) and we did little indian wrestling. He toppled me when I wasn't wearing a pair of the inserts, then, with a pair in my shoes, I was able to resist. He swore by these and I knew his age and how much verve he had. I knew he wasn't faking and could tell his effort was as hard when I wore the inserts as when I didn't. I truly felt empowered with those magnets under me!

He explained some technicalitites of the blood and it all made perfect sense to me (which, in some people's minds may not be saying much!). So, okay, then maybe it was just the power of suggestion, but then -- gee! -- what a powerful mind I must have! I've been back-ache free for years since wearing these.

It took several days to take effect and if I forget to wear them I don't notice for several days. Also, at this point, I can go many days without and do fine, so long as I don't go weeks and weeks without wearing those magnets. I jog with them in my sneeks, too.

They weren't cheep, but like he said, $60.00 is what I'd pay on ONE doctor visit or a month's worth of prescription meds, so what was I to lose? I decided to try them, hoping they worked, so I could get some for my husband. He was the true test. He'd complained of back ache since our wedding (and no, it wasn't because of our wedding night -- now stop that! The tree, remember?).

Anyway, I was sold and got him a pair for that Christmas. He was very skeptical but soon a believer when his back aches went away. He must stand to teach all the time and was always fighting that pain. Now he forgets sometimes he even used to have pain -- and he definitely can tell when he's switched shoes and forgotten to switch inserts (we're cheap and only own a pair each). But like the man said who sold them to me -- they last pretty much "forever." I've had mine for about three years now. These you can also turn upside down for a bumpy side that offers a foot-massage effect, once you've gotten used to the smooth side.

I love my magnetic insoles and I don't care if people think I'm nuts. Being pain free is all the convincing I need!

How's that for a testimonial?!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved