The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#57666 - 07/20/04 04:16 AM Re: Gypsy Road Trip -- The Itinerary
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Wow! Another exciting episode. I loved the images. It must have been beautiful all over this land before it was settled.
Your trip sounds so wonderful. I think we should crown you the official "Boomer Vagabond."
smile

#57667 - 07/20/04 05:44 AM Re: Gypsy Road Trip -- The Itinerary
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I love the sound of that place, no lights just stars. I've been camping in places like that. But it makes me feel very vulnerable - I don't think I would have made a pioneer woman. I like to be able to switch on the light.

...did you write a poem about this...??

#57668 - 07/20/04 04:26 PM Re: Gypsy Road Trip -- The Itinerary
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I second the title of "Boomer Vagabond". That was no ordinary trip. Meredith, you have such interesting friends.

Did they fall in love while she was renting from him?

#57669 - 07/21/04 02:13 AM Re: Gypsy Road Trip -- The Itinerary
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Meredith, your trip sounds great. I tend to side toward the nomadic life so I am jealous with capital letters.

Also, I never explored northern california.

Dotise you are so funny and predictable. You always wnat to know how people fell in love. I think I was trying to make a point during one post about the boat etc and all you wanted to focus on was how John and I got together. Must be your gift for caring for others coming out.

Tell us more Meredith,

Lynn

#57670 - 07/21/04 02:36 AM Re: Gypsy Road Trip -- The Itinerary
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
FROM THE DESK OF THE OFFICIAL BOOMER VAGABOND [Razz]

Some specific answers:

Julie, I feel more vulnerable while camping because of bears and mountain lions. We were right near the house and could've run inside if necessary. Except for three specific phobias, I'm not afraid of much. I didn't write anything specifically about this experience but my overall work is laced with connections to nature. Sometimes I don't want to be redundant if I've written similar pieces. I would've made a great pioneer woman -- provided they let me be the scout, and didn't stick me with "women's chores."

Dotsie, after she moved into the lower house as a renter, Kimberly started working as Michael's electrician apprentice because he needed help with his contract work and she needed a job. Two years later she moved in with him. Neither of them loves the other. He is permanently scarred from a bad marriage (dissolved 15 years ago) and she had just left an abusive relationship. It was convenient and less lonely to live together, and from the start there weren't many illusions.

#57671 - 07/21/04 03:53 AM Re: Gypsy Road Trip -- The Itinerary
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dear The Divine Ms M and OFFICIAL BOOMER VAGABOND....

okay...we're gonna have to do something bout that title....TDMMAOBV...Nope, it doesn't work as an acronym either...hmmm...

I could picture the stars, the porch, the silence as you sat and had thoughts of the grandness of it all, even the critters roaming the hillsides. Nice. More please.

JJ

#57672 - 07/25/04 11:59 AM Re: Gypsy Road Trip -- The Itinerary
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Kimberly's House, cont.

We hiked through a lot of the local scenery. We visited a national monument called Black Chasm, a really neat underground cave. We were the only people on the last tour of the afternoon so it was our own private guided tour! There were all these weird spirally and lacey formations hanging down from the cave, crystalline structures and alien-looking growths. Spotlights drew your eyes to the most unusual ones. This cave is supposed to be the best and largest example of these formations in the world. I can't tell you what they're called because I've already filed the touristy brochure someplace where I'll probably never find it. But I have a great filing system.

We caught up on each other's lives, since it's been several years. We played scrabble (which we do regularly online.) Kimberly dehydrates her own fruit, strawberries, cherries and blackberries that grow on their property. It's two hours down the mountain to go shopping, so they go once every 7-10 days depending on need. In the winter they go even less; hence the dried fruit. I thought about how spoiled I am, with a bazillion stores nearby my house.

My last night there I volunteered to cook dinner. I said I would make Meredith Surprise, because no one, including me, had any idea what the hell I was making. Kimberly sauteed fresh-caught salmon (just to be sure Michael would have something to eat. She's such a good friend, she would've eaten my stuff regardless.) The good news is, it turned out pretty well and we ate all of it -- SURPRISE!! Do not, repeat, DO NOT ask for the recipe. I was probably in Zen Cooking Mode so it could've been anything. I do remember using a garlic press so there may have been garlic.

I left Saturday afternoon after much good-byes. Both Kimberly and Michael kept telling me I was welcome back whenever I wanted to stop in. Kimberly wanted to give me a two-year food supply. I said: I already have a two-year food supply, and I only have one more week of vacation. But I took some dried fruit. [Smile]

#57673 - 07/25/04 04:31 PM Re: Gypsy Road Trip -- The Itinerary
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Merdith, you have to at least tell us the ingredients in the meal. Please. I'm assuming the salmon was caught on their property. [Big Grin]

#57674 - 07/28/04 10:40 AM Re: Gypsy Road Trip -- The Itinerary
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I said "don't ask for the recipe" because I honestly don't remember. I just started pulling things out of their refrigerator and cabinets, chopping it up and throwing it into a pan. I had no idea what I'd find. But here's what I sort of remember: yellow squash, mushrooms, garlic, onion, sunflower seeds, some green something or another. With rice. I think. And as with everything I cook, seasoning is very important.

#57675 - 07/28/04 04:39 PM Re: Gypsy Road Trip -- The Itinerary
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Ah, I like the sunflower addition. I never would have thought to add that to a veggie medley.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved