The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 81 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#57589 - 04/26/04 09:38 PM Re: favorite vacation spot?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Speakermom, can you expand on that location? Tell us more about it. Also, I would be interested in knowing the time of year you visit there and what the climate is like. I'm always interested in new places to visit.

JJ

#57590 - 04/27/04 04:52 PM Re: favorite vacation spot?
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I would really like to try traveling in a rented motor home. It does seem like it would be a great way to travel if I can only convince my husband or maybe I have to get a group of women together to go. Maybe a group of horse women and we can take our horses and trail ride in the Black Hills or somewhere similar. I've even dreamed of taking off on writing trip, seeing things, meeting people, then camping somewhere and writing about the day.

How do you find a place that rents motor homes?

#57591 - 04/27/04 09:16 PM Re: favorite vacation spot?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My best vacation was to Hawaii... and it wasn't even a real vacation! My husband had to attend a conference on Maui and his company flew the wives out as well. Never would we have been able to afford to just fly off to Hawaii and stay for 10 days otherwise.

My favorite "close to home" vacation? The Florida Keys. I live in Tampa, so it's only a 6 hour drive. We go whenever the whim hits us. It's like going to another country. Once we cross that final bridge and hit the islands, there's a new attitude in the air. You never want to turn back.

As for states? Hmm.. I've been to 26 I think. The only part of the country I haven't seen is the Northeast New England area.

Since I live in the vacation state, people tend to think we're always on vacation and want to visit all the time. Relatives call from all over wanting to "stay" at our place while they visit Disney, Busch Gardens, and more. Where do we hide? The keys.

[Razz]

#57593 - 04/27/04 11:59 PM Re: favorite vacation spot?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Vicki, wow, does Neskowin Bay sound fabulous. I love the ocean, lakes, ponds, water of all kinds. So how did I end up in the desert? Go figure, still don't know why myself. [Embarrassed]

Agate, here in Vegas there are a dozen Motor Home rental places but in Minnesota, depending where you are, try your yellow pages or the ones from the Cities. One of my best friends lives in Orr, its about 50 miles north of International Falls off highway 53. I've fished off her pier in Pelican Lake. Except for the mosquitos, I love that wooded, green lush country. The Motoerhomes are so modern now and so EASY to drive and park, I do it with ease. You could too. [Wink]

#57594 - 04/28/04 12:05 AM Re: favorite vacation spot?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Thank you Speakermom...it sounds like a paradise to me. I would love to visit someplace like that if for no other reason than to hear the waters, the birds, and relax...Lord, I wish I were there now! I intend to see if there is a web page for the area. Not that I can or could go, but one never knows, does one? Oh and Mary, the idea you have for traveling with your horses sounds lovely too. I hope you get to do it. What fun!

Hugs, G

#57595 - 04/28/04 02:00 AM Re: favorite vacation spot?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the problem with traveling in a motor home is that you not only take the house, you take the housework.
We wound up staying in a motel and eating out. It sounded fun, but...
smile

#57596 - 04/28/04 02:15 AM Re: favorite vacation spot?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
When were were children, Daddy got two weeks vacation every year. Every year we would pile into the truck camper and see the USA. One year it was N/S Dakota, Montana, Wyoming...I remember walking right up to Old Faithful and looking down into the hole, steam rising to and fogging my glasses. Black bears getting into people's trash at night (Dad put ours in the truck), using those brand new JFK 50 cent pieces to take a shower, taking my first helocopter ride with Daddy over Mt Rushmore. Trying to get out of doing dishes by sneaking off with Daddy as he walked the campground talking to people. I've *never* liked housework, seemed so boring! Having family devotions with Mom reading the Bible and Daddy praying in the evenings before bed. Lots of great memories at lots of USA destinations. I've been in all but Washington, Oregon and Alaska and am headed to Alaska in August.

When Dave and I travel we like to stay, eat, play where the locals do. We tend to rent a cottage or small place and blend in. We went to 4-Corners a few years ago and it was only because I spin, weave, knit that I blended as much as I did. Dave is dark but I'm pure Anglo and in some places in this country and the world, Anglo's aren't welcome. When we lived in Hawaii, I learned pidgin English as quickly as possible; that helped people accept me as much as they did.

I love to travel and we just got our passports. Here's hoping for some good times ahead!

#57597 - 04/28/04 04:23 AM Re: favorite vacation spot?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Smilinize, I have to disagree. The idea of the motorhome is convenience, no matter where you are off the beaten path. You use paper plates, throw away paper towels, cups and plastic silverware. The only thing I washed was the coffee pot, and one pot, and one small fry pan. Or you can take instant coffee or tea. We used lots of kool-aid and pops all very cold from the fridge and ate cold cuts, and fast foods too. The freezer was filled with things I made ahead of time for gourmet dinners. Once in awhile we stopped in a small town and I through our jeans, shorts, undies, blankets into a washer at the laundry mat and talked to the locals. When you return the motor home they clean it, not you, and it wasn't that dirty. Ours had a TV, a microwave, oven, stove , nice size fridge, counter space etc. It was very modern and tons of fun, no work at all. I love ya but disagee totally this time. [Frown]

#57598 - 04/28/04 04:47 AM Re: favorite vacation spot?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Well chatty, I like to try the local food and I don't like to clean or make beds. Course if you had been there with all your great food, I might have loved the motor home.

Anyone been on a motorcycle vacation? Once did that a lot. What a way to see the U.S.A. Up close and personal. Just grab your jeans and ride, sleep under the stars or a motel if you're road weary.
Love cycling the Rockies, Pikes Peak, Royal Gorge, Great Divide, small mining towns, etc.

Once when I was at a conference in Denver in the middle of a divorce, my ex flew to meet me, rented a cycle, and we cycled 6000 miles through the mountains. Had a blast--but divorced the guy anyway...
I'm enjoying just being home for a while right now.
Onward.
smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved