The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 205 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#57490 - 06/08/06 01:14 AM Re: summer vacations?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Wonder if they are serving blackberry wine at the wedding?

If so, you could bring you six-shooter and get some target practice. (And have some nice fried chicken too)

Ada was a development named for the developer's daughter. It couldn't be a town because Dags Flats was too nearby (three miles). Dags Flats only had one building (a general store), but since they already had a township designation and a post office, the developer of Ada was out of luck.

The developer tried to convince the storekeeper to move to Ada and change the township name, but he refused.

The storkeeper had a casket for sale in his store and he told everyone the only way he would ever move was when they took him out of there 'daid' in that casket.

Well, the developers got more and more miffed at the storekeeper's stubbornness so one night they all got together and went down to the Dags Flats store. At gunpoint they forced the storekeeper to get inside the casket and they nailed it shut. Then they hooked their horses to the store and drug the building containig the post office, the township sign, and the storekeeper in his casket three miles up the road where they deposited the whole thing in the new developmment and changed the name on the post office/township sign to read "Ada."

When they finally let the storekeeper out of the casket, he was too weak from lack of oxygen to fight so the town of Ada was born.

It's the Oklahoma way.

Almost the same thing happened with the Oklahoma state capital, but that and the hanging are other stories.

smile

#57491 - 06/08/06 01:56 AM Re: summer vacations?
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
What wonderful information! I love hearing tidbits about historical towns!

We didn't plan on a vacation this summer since we are going on a authors cruise in Feb. We are however going to Vegas, since our pool team will be shooting in the national tournaments in August. I will be meeting Chatty this time around!

Problem is going to be finances, we aren't saving anything because it takes alll we get from workmans comp to pay bills. Oh well, I'm sure the Lord will provide.

#57492 - 06/08/06 01:58 AM Re: summer vacations?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Smile, thanks for your stories. Where do you get the info - have you lived in Ada?

#57493 - 06/08/06 06:14 AM Re: summer vacations?
smilinize Offline

I've never lived in Ada, but I spoke there a while back and researched their history for a musical.

One bit of advice--Don't mention the hanging. It's still a sore spot with the community. Possibly since descendants of the mob who hanged the individuals still live in Ada.

Late in the night on April 19, 1909 what is rumored to be 200 men entered the jail and took four inmates hostage. They took them to a stable where they were hung. (April 19 is the same day as the Oklahoma City Bombing and the Davidian raid in Waco btw)

Other rumors say it was an inside job. Possibly perpetrated by prominent members of the Ada community and there may have been only a few rather than 200, possibly Masons. There was little investigation and no one was ever prosecuted for the hanging.

Just be careful not to mention it especially to old timers. It's definitely a taboo subject.

smile

P.S. One of the men who got hung was an owner of Connors Corner. Another may have been the ancestor of a man charged in the murder of a youn woman in Ada who was one of the first people exonerated by DNA evidence.

[ June 07, 2006, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#57494 - 06/09/06 03:27 AM Re: summer vacations?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sherri to save money you might want to think of staying OFF the expensive strip at one of the hotels on the Boulder highway. The Nevada Palace is on Boulder just next to Sams Town and the rooms are a mere $29.95 during the week, there clean and comfortable and the Neveda Palace is 5 minutes from me so you can depend on seeing me. I won't travel to the strip unless I have no other choice, I hate it. You can rent a car from Enterprise which they deliver right to your hotel and drive to the strip hotels or where every you want to go. Just a thought and if on a short budget why waste it on some expensive hotel room??? The hotels on Boulder Highway I know first hand are:

Arizona Charlies, East (buffet)....702/951-5600
Boulder Station (slots/buffet)....702/432-7777
Nevada Palace (yummy food)....702/458-8810
Sam's Town (super gift shop)....702/456-7777
Longhorn Hotel (good eats)....702/435-9170

There are many others but I've never stayed in any of them...

[ June 08, 2006, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#57495 - 06/09/06 05:26 AM Re: summer vacations?
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Smile, did you finish the musical? I was thinking it would make a good TV movie.

#57496 - 06/09/06 06:59 AM Re: summer vacations?
smilinize Offline

I didn't get the commission to write the musical. They decided not to do one. I think once they discovered the history, they didn't really want to see it singing and dancing on stage.

smile

[ June 09, 2006, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#57497 - 06/15/06 11:08 PM Re: summer vacations?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
For those coming to Vehgs it seems that sooner rather than later Cher will be replacing Celion Dion at Caesars Palace...If I can find out when I'll post it.

#57498 - 06/16/06 09:20 AM Re: summer vacations?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Dotsie,

I might be in MD on the 4th or July weekend, that is if none of us gets sick.

We were going to go to Williamsburg, but I really want to see my niece and nephew. I haven't seen my niece yet and she is a month and half old. I am just so anxious to see her. My brother's MIL is there to help. She came from Algeria and I want to see her too. She is a lovely lady.

Anyway, hopefully we will be in MD for that long weekend.

Cheers,
Cathi

#57499 - 06/16/06 06:06 PM Re: summer vacations?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Cathi, let me know if you have time to meet. I'd love it. I'm be home for the 4th. Ellicott City is only a quick jump around the beltway.

I am on vacation now. I'm with three other families at an out-of-this-world resort. I'll give you the link to the resort when I get home so you can check it out. I know a few of you were interested in all-inclusives for families. More to come!

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved