The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 149 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#54929 - 01/17/06 04:11 AM new women presidents...
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
I dont want to take away from current threads receiving a lot of discussion, but the election of a woman to the presidency of Liberia last week and yesterday in Chile, certainly is cause for celebration. These women are well educated and dedicated to bringing about peace, harmony and higher living standards for their people. The new president of Chile is a single mother, a medical doctor, and previously a political prisoner under pinochet's bastard regime. Her father's death occured while being held in pinochet's prisons for politcal reasons.
Change is on the way.!! And it is good!

#54930 - 01/17/06 04:17 AM Re: new women presidents...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
We shall see and all we can do is hope that this change is a positive one and accepted as such by the people she will govern and not the way our own leaders are underminded by those not satisfied/stroked by their actions...Pray for these women!

#54931 - 01/17/06 05:39 AM Re: new women presidents...
ladybug Offline

Norma, I curious about this new woman president. Can you tell me more about her, her views on economics, religion, and social issues as well as education. Since she is a woman surely she has views on how the women of her country can better themselves to lift their status out of the oppression that many foreign nations face.

#54932 - 01/17/06 07:12 AM Re: new women presidents...
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Norma,
This is a very intersting topic about the women president in Liberia . I saw this on the news tonight how she wants to turn the country around . This we should watch and wait to see how this will turn out for her . I know the President of Liberia her life has been theatened and she has arm guards from American protecting her . I heard .

I had not hear about the new women president of chile . Good post Norma . I like this one.

#54933 - 01/17/06 07:23 PM Re: new women presidents...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Here's a link to an interesting article about women advancing:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0117/p08s02-comv.html

Also, for those intersted:

NABBW is offering a teleseminar next month that may interest you:

FEBRUARY TELESEMINAR
Topic: "Gender Equality in the Workforce has Finally Arrived - or has it?" Wednesday, February 15, 2006, 7:00 pm EST

Attorneys Patricia McHugh Lambert, an expert in Women's Law issues, and Leslie Stellman, whose practice focuses on Employment Law, will explore the question of gender equality in the 21st century. They will examine from a legal and cultural perspective the issues surrounding the offensive comments of Advertising Executive, Neil French, the furor caused by Harvard President Lawrence Summers' remarks, the Martha Stewart verdict, and other current events that lend insight into women's role in the modern workplace. Visit Patricia McHugh Lambert at http://www.hupk.com/attorney.asp?id=21 . NABBW members will receive all information via email.

This is for NABBW members only, and I know many of you are members. If you aren't and want to join, email me at dots@nabbw.com and I will send you the link for the discounted rate of 50.00 to join.

#54934 - 01/17/06 10:34 PM Re: new women presidents...
norma Offline

Ladybug and Nancy..
the new president of Chile, is Michelle Bachelet, 54 years old, a pediatrician, mother of three, single. Not only did her father die (heart attack as the result of torture)while in custody under Pinochet's dictatorship, her mother was also arrested. Bachelet was arrested as a political prisoner and tortured, she was eventually able to go into exile outside of Chile.

The dictatorship of Pinochet came into force after a violent overthrow of the legal democratic election of Allende in 1973. It is truly sickening what has happened in too many nations during the past fifty years because of various dictatorships and secret police forces.

Michelle Bachelet apparently served as minister for health, and defense in the recent outgoing government of Chile.

Liberia has had an ongoing war for the past 14 years, and this new president 67 year old Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, wants an end to the violence and corruption that has been destroying her people, her nation. She also had to go into exile, escaping execution that apparently was the fate of too many in her country .... .

A couple of interesting side notes, is that Liberia was founded by freed black slaves from the US, and Bachelet in Chile defeated a billionaire in her bid for the presidency.....

[ January 17, 2006, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: norma ]

#54935 - 01/18/06 06:25 AM Re: new women presidents...
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Norma,
Thanks for filling me in on this . I will keep a watch on the news of these women . This is a wonderful topic and a calm one.

#54936 - 01/18/06 12:30 PM Re: new women presidents...
norma Offline

My apologizes Dotsie, for being late in saying thank you for this other information.

There's really nothing more i can add to this topic though, except to say I believe men and women are equally capable of being the wisest of leaders if given equal opportunity to knowledge and authority, and equally capable of betraying the trust extended to them.

But maybe with more women visible in leadership roles, the continued neglect of the education of so many girls in certain areas will lessen, and maybe, just maybe women themselves in certain parts of this world will stop butchering little girls through "female circumsion", (although that has not been a problem in Chile or Liberia ). And maybe in certain parts of the world when women (and men) say, rape is a crime, honour killings are a crime, more people will sit up and take notice. And maybe in all parts of the world, certain young women will realize they have more going for them
as women, than just their sexual appeal.

[ January 18, 2006, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: norma ]

#54937 - 01/18/06 07:05 PM Re: new women presidents...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Amen!

#54938 - 01/18/06 07:21 PM Re: new women presidents...
ladybug Offline

Norma, it sounds like the people of Chile made an intelligent choice for their president.

This sounds like a woman who can really claim to be in touch with the common man considering all of her experiences.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved