The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 70 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13
Topic Options
#54792 - 02/21/06 11:01 PM Re: what is your opinion ?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I think our government should and probably will eventually take over the security of our ports, but at this point, we are not legislatively authorized nor do we have the infrastructure to do the job. Haliburton might have the infrastructure, but without legislative authorization for the funds, contracting with them is not going to happen.

This may be just the impetus necessary to make some of the needed changes. But until we are equipped and ready, we need to act as if we are delighted by this development. What else can we do?

smile

#54793 - 02/21/06 11:04 PM Re: what is your opinion ?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Doesn't our Constitution say something about providing for the common defense and insuring domestic tranquility? I would say this falls under that category, in this day and age.

#54794 - 02/21/06 11:23 PM Re: what is your opinion ?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Since interpreting the constitution is up to the courts and they can only act to interpret the constiutionality of law, it still goes back to the legislature to pass a law. If NY or some other port state does outlaw it the case may wind up in the court.

Of course, as we all know, the court is prone to make any number of idiotic decisions. And getting them involved might be even more dangerous than having a sworn enemy running the ports. [Smile]

I think we have to lay low til we can do something, but I hope we hurry up.

I just heard on the news that we asked the English company to stop the sale, but they refused. Some friends those Brits.

smile

#54795 - 02/21/06 11:39 PM Re: what is your opinion ?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Well, thank God, everything is ultimately in His hands...but He expects us to be vigilant and to use the brains He gave us. This is why we have to always pray for our leaders and anyone else in power in the US.

#54796 - 02/22/06 02:04 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
I know very little about these things, so am following this discussion with a great deal of interest. From what I understand, a number of Arab control companies have their headquaters in Britain. Seems like you can't tell the players without a scorcard these days.

#54797 - 02/22/06 02:34 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I heard on the radio that the UAE will not run the ports, but will own the leases. This is very confusing! The same people, all American longshoremen, will continue to run it and have control.

We may not have any choice for the time being, because there are very few companies that can do the job. The government should take it over, but unfortunately it would all end up in miles of red tape.

Daisygirl

#54798 - 02/22/06 02:56 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
starting over Offline

Loc: Illinois
I'm so glad this topic is up. I didn't find out till last night that this was happening. I am very upset by it. I can't imagine who in their right mind thinks it's OK to turn over ANY part of America to another country!

Ask anyone who has gone from a free nation to control--like communism and they will tell you that nothing happened overnight. Slowly little by little the people lost their freedoms and rights. Each piece in itself not enough to warrant alarm--no one saw the 'big' picture until it was too late.

Kinda like putting a frog in hot water--he will jump right out, but put him in cold water and turn up the heat slowly and he will cook to death, completely oblivious to the danger.

I think this is stupid, ridiculous and reckless. And I have been a support of Bush all along....

Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved