The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 86 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#54732 - 02/11/06 11:32 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
i was always just confused about those air raid drills. we were herded into the hallways and told to assume the position - on your knees, forehead and elbows to the floor and hands behind your head or neck.

what confused me was, i couldn't figure out what kind of bomb was going to blow up my classroom without damaging the hallway. just didn't make sense.

aside from that, there was the occaional "sonic boom" that sent thrills through us and made the day a little more of an adventure...

#54733 - 02/11/06 07:19 PM Re: what is your opinion ?
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Norma, I for one really appreciate your insight into the Psalms. It sometimes appears that there are conflicting verses in the Bible between the Old and the New Testaments. But, the difference between the Old and the New is Jesus. Jesus fulfilled many of the Rabinnical laws such as 'not getting your ox out of the ditch on the Sabbath', etc. Grace and forgiveness and love originated on the Cross and the blood of Christ covers a multitude of sins.

The New Testament doesn't negate the Old however, and there is a natural flow between the two as the OT fortells the birth, life, death and resurrection of Christ.

If you read the entire 34th Psalm, what Elihu was speaking of was the justice of God. How He doesn't consider the king or noble any more than the poor when it comes to justice (18)(19) because the rich, the poor, "the noble and king were all created by Him and in a moment they die, in the middle of the night; the people are shaken and pass away..."(20)
His eyes are on the ways of man, and He sees all his steps. There is no darkness to hide in and in (22) basically, why should He give man the time of day? Why should God even trouble Himself to HAVE a judgement? After all, He is God. He made us and he could break us at His whim. (my interpretation)

Jesus (New Testament) taught us to love our enemies and do good to them who despitefully use you but to hate sin. God being Holy and without sin in OT hated sin and there was no relief from the burden of it and the results of it. That is why he loved us so much that He sent His only son to die for us so that we would have a path to Him and Forgiveness. (My interpretation)
God is very clear throughout the entire Bible about 'who' He is, 'what' He expects of us and exactly what to expect from Him. The Bible even tells us what to expect in the future and what will happen at the end of time but assures us that He will never leave us or forsake us.
So, while I deeply respect your opinion, it is also important to take the whole chapter and all the others that flow in reading and interpretation rather than taking a piece out of the pie without being sure if it is an apple or a cherry pie.

#54734 - 02/11/06 07:59 PM Re: what is your opinion ?
ladybug Offline

Norma, it seems the Muslim sector in Akron, Ohio is gearing up for a protest because a cartoon of Muhammad was published in the newspaper there. The cartoon face of Muhammed was pixilated which gave it a blurry effect. Someone made a comment that Muhammed appeared to be on "Acid." Acid of course meaning LSD which in turn has enraged some Muslims.

I find it hypocritical that our own Plain Dealer refuses to publish these cartoons while it finds no problem publishing denegrating ones of our Bishop Pilla, president Bush, Indians, our senators, Christians, evangelists etc, etc. No one here has protested in a violent manner or killed anyone over these insulting cartoons.

I also told the newspaper that they are being hypocritical and caving into fear. I am on a volunteer citizens advisory committee for this newspaper which asked my opinion on this very subject.

#54735 - 02/11/06 09:34 PM Re: what is your opinion ?
NewLeaf Offline

In all honesty, Ladybug, I think I would be apprehensive about publishing one of those cartoons too. The reason is that the people of this belief system seem to take 'radical' to unprecedented limits.
They don't think like most of us do about fairness and apparently they don't understand the sense of humor that can take a ribbing...and aren't taught the same principles. To publish one of those cartoons could incite a violent riot.

#54736 - 02/11/06 10:28 PM Re: what is your opinion ?
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
that is so excellent Number 5 ..... you made my point perfectly .. (i was fully aware of the following words of Eliu and of Jesus's words) ... there can be confusion based on the words of 'sacred text' (even what a person means right here ) ... and that is why cutting off hands and heads, beating one's wife, veiling women from head to foot, executing apostates can be justified by some followers of islam and not by others .... likewise, being a soldier, a police officer, a prison guard can justified by some christians and not by others ... that is why nations having state relgions can be 'dangerous places' ..... and why, when we see each other as neighbours, rather than atheist, christian, moslem, buddist, or whatever, working together for the benifit of all will become easier ...... just as race is a non issue for most today, (and yet in our lifetime it had been a big issue ) .. creed will become a non issue ..... because there is a higher creed that we can all accept ..... we are each human beings who share basic needs and share the same planet .......

[ February 11, 2006, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: norma ]

#54737 - 02/11/06 11:24 PM Re: what is your opinion ?
NewLeaf Offline

Norma, I hope you're right. This same conflict has been going on for so many centuries though, that I don't see an end to it soon.

#54738 - 02/11/06 11:40 PM Re: what is your opinion ?
NewLeaf Offline

Of course, Norma, I think I've made it clear to everyone here that I do believe that there is such a thing as absolute truth. I also, humbly believe that I know what that truth is and who it is based in.
I'm not a New Ager or an Aquarian although I would defend their right to be whatever they choose to be.
I don't believe, in my opinion, that there will ever be peace on earth though I will always be an advocate of peace. Peace originates out of a knowledge that we really have nothing to fear, not even death when our lives are where they were meant to be from the beginning of time.
I don't agree that other 'creeds' have the answer. We might be able to work together but I don't see it happening and the day that a person comes on the scene who can unite all and bring peace, anyone other than Jesus Christ, I will know that we've reached the end of time or that it is near.

#54739 - 02/12/06 12:18 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
ladybug Offline

Hi Number5, just wanted to jump in here and say I do agree with you about the reason newspapers may have a reluctance to print these cartoons. I also wanted to say I hadn't meant to cover your questions to Norma, hope no offense was taken there.

Do you think that sometimes in our demands for the rights of freedom of speech that we have pushed the envelope of decency? It wasn't that long ago that we understood what went beyond the boundaries and we respected that.

[ February 11, 2006, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#54740 - 02/12/06 12:34 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Is World War III on the way? No, I believe it's Armegeddon.

#54741 - 02/12/06 02:14 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
NewLeaf Offline

There are so many freedoms that have morphed to fit our changing society and circumstances it seems. Freedom probably shouldn't mean freedom from respect and consideration for others.

No offense taken, Ladybug. I think its Armageddon too, but what do I know? I hope its not yet although the Bible speaks of the outcome. I'm just waiting for that guy or gal to step up all smiles and bring about that peace that the world clamors for. It could be very soon but so short lived and the outcome will be so bad for so many.
It makes me very sad even though I know it has to happen. It makes me feel an urgency to pray for all the ones I love so much who still don't have their lives right.

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved