The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 79 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#54692 - 02/09/06 05:51 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I can understand Muslims being upset at the cartoons and unflattering depictions of Mohammad. However, I can't accept it as justificaqtion for mass murder.

As to how the U.S. would react in a similar situation, Jesus was depicted in an even more insulting manner. The Maplethorpe exhibit displayed the cross immersed in all forms of bodily fluid and Jesus portrayed in various homosexual and heterosexual poses? It was not only tolerated as freedom of speech, it was funded by our tax dollar. Christians protested, but to my knowledge no one was murdered.

smile

[ February 09, 2006, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#54693 - 02/09/06 05:52 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
DJ,

I must agree with you. AS well as what you have described, there is also the history of this conflict between muslims and the West......Many are guilty of memory-loss in this country and of being complacent.(including myself) Whereas, others, such as Muslims, have long term memory in tact, and are now lashing out in fury against mixed messages sent by countries of the west.....This is a very complicated issue, which I am not qualified to explain, but I have learned enough that says the west is not lily-white in this game, and I know that the oppressed will eventually rise up with anger. No matter where they are from nor what religion they espouse (sp?).

I see a correlation between the young people in this country who feel abandoned, bullied, and outcasted by their peers - who have taken to violence to make their point, and those in the countries of the world who have felt the same. I truly believe these are more matters of monetary class than anything else .... well, and due respect. Further, world wars have been waged on just such seemingly trivial moments...it is right we should fear the consequences.....

In short, I believe that this uproar is not predicated on today alone, but the history of our countries' behavior toward one another. Watch your history tv, gals!!!!

With consideration toward all, Searcher

#54694 - 02/09/06 05:57 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
Scorpio115 Offline

Loc: New York
I'm with you Smilinize. Some of us have to take the insult while at the same time be sensitive to the insulted.

#54695 - 02/09/06 06:08 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
DJ, I wouldn't say it's about freedom of speech. With freedom of speech comes responsibility. These cartoons shouldn't have been printed, just as insulting things about Jesus shouldn't be printed - but they are. This does not justify violence or murder. When the movie The Last Temptation of Christ came out many years ago, Christians were upset and offended. But I don't recall embassies being burned or other damage being done.

#54696 - 02/09/06 07:37 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
There's much inflammatory rhetoric on this thread. Yes there are crazy fanatics. Yes there are terrorists. There are also millions of religious, good Muslims who condemn the violence, just as you do. To say that "they" never learned peace, condemns with a very broad brush. In this country where we treasure freedom of speech, it seems that we have the responsibility to be well-informed, to educate ourselves fully about issues and not just mindlessly repeat platitudes that don't help create the peace everyone says they want. In other words, some of this rhetoric contributes to the lack of understanding among people of diverse beliefs and viewpoints. There are plenty of instances in the world about people who call themselves Christian performing acts of terrorism. If this weren't the case, there would be more appreciation of Christianity from people of other faiths, like the Moslems. I'm sure there are people who call themselves Christian (remember the Nazis?) that you might deny had anything to do with Christianity. But their behavior shouldn't lead an observer to conclude that all Christians are evil terrorists.

#54697 - 02/09/06 07:41 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
Bluebird Offline

Where are you seeing inflammatory rhetoric?

#54698 - 02/09/06 07:47 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
the first page of this thread.

#54699 - 02/09/06 08:02 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
Bluebird Offline

I believe when someone says "these fanatics" they are referring to the ones committing the violence, not all Muslims.
When I hear of Christians committing violence against others, I get just as upset.

#54700 - 02/09/06 09:14 AM Re: what is your opinion ?
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
in reading this thread, i too, took the general statements in reference to the small group of muslims who are single-mindedly violent, not the religion as a whole.

that said, i cannot excuse or justify that violence with past or present sins of christianity. yes, there is a lot of history behind the atrocities we are seeing every day in the news but nothing can justify it.

should we be that philosophical about it if the american indians decide to take back the countryside via murderous raids on farms and ranches? or what about black americans deciding to lynch whites at random for the sins committed against their race? nothing justifies random murder and violence. nothing.

#54701 - 02/09/06 01:26 PM Re: what is your opinion ?
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
personally i dont care if someone believes the world exists on the back of a turtle .. as long as their beliefs dont bring about harm to others... yes, there has been evil committed by those calling themselves 'christian' and often the evil was justified as a 'teaching' of christianity..... but i sure cant find any teachings of Jesus that would justify any acts which inflict pain on others ..... a few years ago i bought an english copy of the koran hoping to gain a deeper appreciation of it's teaching ... i ended up giving it away ... seemed to me alot of violence by sincere believers could be justified according to it's teachings .... but apparently there are other equally sincere moslems who have come to different conclusions..

[ February 09, 2006, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: norma ]

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved