The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#54424 - 03/10/06 09:11 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Hi,
Regarding the reference to insurance, etc. The source is Family Research Center, a conservative think tank. Many of the citations given are close to ten years old, as is the example from the article which follows:

"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), from 1994 to 1997 the proportion of homosexuals reporting having had anal sex increased from 57.6 percent to 61.2 percent, while the percentage of those reporting "always" using condoms declined from 69.6 percent to 60 percent.[2]"

And if we follow this to a logical conclusion, should we prevent obese people and smokers from having insurance because their activities will cost more money in the insurance pool?

Just a thought -- I truly don't want to offend anyone. It's a discussion.

Peace

#54425 - 03/11/06 12:24 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have to make a statement here.

I have a gay son.

God did not make a mistake.

#54426 - 03/11/06 12:58 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Of course not, Browser. God forbid, but one of my nephews or grandsons or daughters could become "gay". I wouldn't stop loving them. How could I? I would still love them with all my heart!

But my heart would be broken for them. God NEVER intended one of his children to become homosexual or lesbian. Lets all just do away with Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcanon and Mothers Against Drunk Driving and all the other organizations designed to help hurting people find their way out of the horrible life they are in.

God didn't make a mistake and I know how dearly you must love your son. God loves him too. He's not a pariah or a leper. He is a wonderful human being who unfortunately has a thorn in the flesh to overcome, but in his overcoming this problem, he may become a stronger man. He may never marry. He may never have children, but he will be able to help others overcome this terrible affliction.

My own daughter has to deal with her weakness for drugs every day of her life. Some days are better than others, but she has something to live for and people who need her and love her.

You can help your son by praying for him and loving him and accepting him in spite of his sin. You may already pray for him and I don't want to assume anything.

But for the alcoholic or pedafile or drug abuser or wife beater to continue in their sin and have our society absolve it and say it isn't really a sin and put a stamp of approval on it is simply wrong and will bring judgement on our nation as a result of it.

It has happened to every other nation and culture that has openly accepted and sanctioned homosexuality as the norm.

#54427 - 03/11/06 01:31 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
But, Number5, not all consider it an affliction. That's the difference. I was born a female. Is this an affliction?

I've known too many gays who have sought all kinds of help to change what you call an affliction and it just doesn't happen. You are born what you're born.

And, because emotions can't be seen in my writing, I'm saying this in a loving tone.

#54428 - 03/11/06 01:38 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
My son did not make the choice to 'become' gay. He was born gay. I can say that with 100% assurance. We knew from the time he was 3 years old. He was not 'outwardly' gay, but we knew - for the lack of a better word - he was marching to a different drummer. Trust me - it has nothing to do with choice.

#54429 - 03/11/06 04:10 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
i am getting old now number 5, whether God exists or not, i dont know, but even worse than that,
i no longer care ..... i only know this ...
i want the whole world to be a safe and gentle place for everyone while we are here ..... and therefore i have an obligation to try and treat others with kindness and respect, and not to do to them what i dont want done to me .....
that is all i am able to deal with ....

#54430 - 03/11/06 06:42 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Casey Offline

Hi,
I'm asking this in a respectful manner. As Dianne pointed out, emotions are hard to read while we are typing. :-))

Number5, I know you are very concerned about the safety of this country. Thank you for that concern and the love you have in your heart. I am curious about the following statement:

"...will bring judgement on our nation as a result of it.

It has happened to every other nation and culture that has openly accepted and sanctioned homosexuality as the norm"

I know you talked about the Roman Empire and Greece earlier. I remember from my history lessons that there were many reasons that these empires fell, and yes, over-indulgence in food and sex were certainly part of their downfall. However, I can't get to the same conclusion that you appear to get to: acceptance of homosexuality in people will cause this country to fall.

I have many concerns for this country, as well. I believe that the emptiness people feel as they shop, or stare at the TV, or the computer, or use drugs to avoid living and feeling pain is a major problem. I believe the inability of people of differing opinions (at least on the surface) to talk with each other in a respectful manner is a huge problem. That's one of the reasons I think we've done a pretty good job on this thread.

I hope no one takes offence. I am speaking from my heart to yours.

#54431 - 03/11/06 07:03 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I don't think God has picked a few good people to play a terrible joke on. He is the author of love, he IS love.

But just as some children are born with the genes that cause alcoholism and genes that predispose them to depression and other "afflictions", I just believe homosexuality is yet another problem for the individual to deal with.

My nephew never wanted anything to eat but candy and cantaloupe the whole while he was growing up. He is in medical school now, and is brilliant, but he has all the genes that predispose him to alcoholism and fights the urge to drink continually.

My oldest brother has spent his life studying ancient religions and his extensive study has turned up the temple rituals of most of the ancient religions included the practice of homosexual acts as part of the ceremonies.

I don't understand all of it. I don't pretend to and I think if we were all honest, on those occasions when we notice how beautiful a star is or how beautiful a model is, for a fleeting moment have you ever wondered if your thoughts were totally heterosexual??

I think there is a genetic predisposition to homosexuality, but so is there one for depression and alcoholism. WE do have the choice to give in to those urges or not. The choice is ours, but if everyone tries to make it legal and socially acceptable, then we all lose.

How many of you have been tempted to cheat on your husband or boyfriend? Did you give in to the urge or back off and feel so much better about yourself for having thought it through?

I'm being totally honest and up front. I hold no bad feeling toward anyone right now except my husband and I fluxuate with even that.

#54432 - 03/11/06 09:37 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Casey Offline

Number5 (I wish you had a name :--)), thank you for your loving message. I accept your belief and the love that's behind it, although it is not my belief. But it is your belief and I honor that.

I have to wonder, however. If homosexuality is a choice along the same lines as choosing to overeat, depression, alcoholism and the like, why does it bring up such anxiousness in some people? For example, if Brokeback Mountain were about two alcoholics in love or two obese people in love or two depressed people in love, would people boycott it for it's subject matter? I don't think so.

#54433 - 03/11/06 09:59 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Casey, I think they would boycott. There are a group of people that will boycott anything. While living in Nashville, I would pass protesters on the street and I started noticing that it was always the same people, no matter what the cause was. I'm waiting for the protest against cotton-crotched underwear! [Razz]

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved