The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#54394 - 03/07/06 09:22 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
I have not yet seen the film, but from the positive feedback I've heard from those who have, it's on my to-see list. I enjoy an intelligent, thought provoking film.

I am heterosexual, and have imagined what it must be like, to not have been born such... I have also imagined my heterosexual self, in a society the majority of which, is homosexual. In this position, I imagine the obstacles and prejudices I might therefore face. I imagine the intimations that merely by desiring to do so, I might change my sexual orientation, the pressure I might feel, to accept the theory that my natural born inclinations are some manifestations of a malfunctioning nature, a condition in need of a cure. I imagine, that in my darkest moments, I might consider myself an abomination, for my inability to deny my nature, and fit into the prevailing societal majority into which I'd been born. Yet, as I live and breathe, I would be unable to deny my personal, natural born instincts, my heterosexuality.

http://www.intouchwithjeannine.com

#54395 - 03/08/06 07:59 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I will not see the movie. Based on what I have heard from my friends and what I read in the press, it is a story of long term love between homosexuals.

I believe that to be nothing more than the beginning propaganda for legalizing same sex marriage. I am opposed to same sex marriage. Not because it is against my moral beliefs, but because it has the potential to bankrupt our health care system.

In the Canadian provinces where same sex marriage is legal, very few are being entered into. Possibly because they have socialized medicine and it healthcare is available without cost to all citizens. Surveys of homosexuals in the areas where same sex marriage is legal indicate that though some would agree to be there for each other for life, almost none will agree to the life long sexual monogamy required in most Canadian marriage ceremonies. Surveys show that the average number of homosexual partners exceeds sixty whereas the average number for heterosexual couples is less than one tenth that amount.

I believe those surveys show heterosexuality not to be an issue of life long love as it is portrayed in Brokeback mt. and would impress eth citizenry to make an emotional decision to legalize same sex marriage. The statistics prove homosexuality not to be an issue of love, but an issue of sex.

The question of same sex marriage is only an issue of economy. The homosexual community has been open about their desire to legalize their unions in order to qualify for government and employer supported health insurance. Surveys also show that almost every practicing homosexual has some form of STD so the health care costs could be astronomical.

I refuse to support any form of propaganda disguised as entertainment or education.

smile

#54396 - 03/08/06 10:29 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Sandi Offline

Loc: Jupiter Florida
Number 5 : Oh please........a gay person has to overcome affliction? what planet are you from?
My brother is gay, most people are surprised to hear that...and he goes to a gay church, with a real pastor!!! and they are as christian as you claim to be. And you put gays in the same catagory as alcoholics??????????? and drug addicts? Gay is not a disease...I can't even believe there are still people out there that think like you.

#54397 - 03/08/06 10:34 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Sandi Offline

Sandpiper, I attended the Annual Stunt Awards at
Parmount Studios in Hollywood. That night, to put it together, the budget was 4.5million, and the after party's budget was 3.5 mil....so I suppose 32m gross for a movie isn't much....but if anyone really wants to know, I can find the answer pretty easy.

#54398 - 03/08/06 10:39 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Sandi Offline

Christina, I goofed. My post, above, to Sandpiper, was supposed to be to you!!!

#54399 - 03/08/06 07:15 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Sandi, Two of my nephews are gay. They are just like anyone else. They are real people also, they work, eat, sleep, play and love just like us. I also don't know why people want to put them into certain categories.

I find it interesting that the people who judge the most are the 'christians' who are supposed to be the most loving and forgiving on the planet. It still eludes me as to why they think they can judge others.

I think Jeanine said it beautifully. Who are we to ask them to change their natural instincts. If people would understand that gay people are not simply being gay to offend the heterosexuals, but because that is what they are naturally. Life would be so much easier for all on the planet.

Just my opinion
Sandpiper

#54400 - 03/08/06 07:55 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Beverly Offline

The response from Number5 dated 2/26 kind of scares me. To put gays in the same category as alcoholic, drug users and pedophiles is not really fair. Also putting overeaters in that same category is strange.

I guess anything that someone doesn't understand or hasn't had to deal with is considered a sin against God.

That is what troubles me about organized religion.

#54401 - 03/09/06 08:47 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
The gay people I know struggled for years because of their desires. They tried church, prayer, medical resources...the list goes on and on.

I have to ask why anyone would choose to be gay given the trials they face? My jury has been out on this issue but finally came in with a verdict of it isn't a choice. They were born that way.

#54402 - 03/08/06 10:17 PM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Agreed, Diane

And anyway, there have been homosexuals since the beginning of recorded time. Before Catholics, or Baptists or any other Christian denomination. Before Christians, as a matter of fact. I do not believe it is a moral issue, only a human one. It is simply fact.

Also, maleness and femaleness are not absolute. It really is a continuum with extremes on each end and every variation in between. This IS medical fact. So it follows that someone with a penis is not necessarily all male to begin with, but with female traits as well, and of course vice versa.

#54403 - 03/09/06 08:29 AM Re: Brokeback Mountain
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
I believe that sex outside marriage is a sin - however, not many people can live up to that high expectation. Homosexual sin is not any worse than heterosexual sin.

I'm not interested in seeing the movie - can't say why - it's just not my kind of movie. I'm just not that into westerns.

Daisygirl

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved