The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 188 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#52285 - 11/16/05 08:39 AM Gift ideas for a "private" baby shower sought
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
DH and I will be giving his pg daughter and her dh and private baby shower. Why, you ask? Emotionally, I cannot attend a baby shower. I was not able to have my own and being around all the women who ONLY talk about labor, delivery, how beautiful the baby is etc is too hard for me. So, DSD likes the idea of a private shower so.........I'd love some ideas!

this is DH's first grandchild and my first step. Thsu far I have a onesie, a little statue and that's it. what else shall we get (not too expensive) both for her and baby? I'd love some neat ideas for his son-in-law-father-to-be as well. He's 39, and my DSD will be 33.

What are you thoughts from the "grandparent" perspective?

#52286 - 11/18/05 04:13 AM Re: Gift ideas for a "private" baby shower sought
ladybug Offline

I'm not a grandma yet, but you can get a very nice stroller for a reasonable price. It's a useful item that is one of the first things a new mother asks for. Also, newborns go through a lot of diapers so you could go to your grocery store and buy a few packages of Huggies. These are a pretty good brand. Newborns need sleepers too. The ones with feet in them are nice. Maybe some of the other ladies have gift ideas for the father to be. I've never gone to a shower where the father also got a gift but it doesn't mean you can't give him something too. That's very thoughtful of you!

Ladies, any gift ideas for the new father-to-be?

#52287 - 11/18/05 04:38 AM Re: Gift ideas for a "private" baby shower sought
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
This might sound like an odd Son-in-law gift, but how about a beautiful book that he can start reading to the baby...they're never too young to be read to. Hubby's son started reading to his daughter the first night she was born and four years later still reads to her every night. It makes for a very special father-child connection. Hubby's two nephews have always done the same thing with their children.

#52288 - 11/18/05 05:22 AM Re: Gift ideas for a "private" baby shower sought
Eagle Heart Offline

BTW, it just occurred to me that this was one of the things that MOST bugged me about never having children...I went to oodles of baby (and wedding) showers, bought hundreds of beautiful baby and shower gifts over the years, but never had one of my own, not even a wedding shower. I admit I always wanted a shower of some kind. Not anymore though, because I don't need anything. Maybe a Cuba shower, where everyone comes and brings a gift for us to take to the kids in Cuba. Now there's an idea.

#52289 - 11/18/05 05:49 AM Re: Gift ideas for a "private" baby shower sought
ladybug Offline

Eagleheart, I never had a wedding shower either. I was 24 and my husband was 31 when we got married. Although it was a first marriage for both of us he was well-established and we felt there wasn't anything we needed. The book is a perfect gift idea. How about the Velveteen Rabbit or Love You Forever (a tear jerker of a book.) I read to both of my children from the time they were born up until their 12th or 13th year. Hubby read to them too. We took turns.

#52290 - 11/18/05 07:07 AM Re: Gift ideas for a "private" baby shower sought
Eagle Heart Offline

Ladybug, "Love You Forever" is such a beautiful book...always made me cry, but I haven't been able to read it since my Dad and Mom died...afraid I'll soak the book and ruin it!

I also love Velveteen Rabbit...my first one wore out beyond repair and finally had to be thrown away. The new one's hardly ever been opened, which for this particular book is a sad thing, isn't it! But when my granddaughter learns to read, all of these books will take on a whole new life again.

#52291 - 11/18/05 07:31 AM Re: Gift ideas for a "private" baby shower sought
Feisty49 Offline

Loc: Niskayuna, NY
My son and his wife are expecting their first child in March. As part of his birthday present last month, I gave my son a book titled "Why I Need You: 100 Reasons" by Gregory Lang. It is a lovely book, very simply written with beautiful pictures. It has simple "advice" such as, "I need you to make sure my bath water isn't too hot," and "I need you to remember that I can't help having little accidents now and then." Each bit of advice is on its own page, with an accompanying picture. Before I purchased it, I sat in Barnes & Noble reading it and getting all teary-eyed from words and pictures. Truly a must-have book, IMHO. Amazon has it at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1581824408/103-5553112-1619040?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

#52292 - 11/18/05 09:06 AM Re: Gift ideas for a "private" baby shower sought
Di Offline

Oh,the books sound wonderful! I think I'll order a few. Yeah,the Dad usually gets the bills! LOL!!

they got used stroller already. He is making thie crib (he's quite a furniture maker!). I've never read the Velveteen Rabbit nor the other ones for that matter.

Keep those ideas coming!! I love 'em all!!

#52293 - 11/18/05 10:26 AM Re: Gift ideas for a "private" baby shower sought
Di Offline

Ok, I just ordered all three of these books! I'm taking ya'll's word for it. I have no idea what to get, so I'm finished!

#52294 - 11/18/05 07:02 PM Re: Gift ideas for a "private" baby shower sought
Di Offline

Now, what about idea for "favors". there will just be the four of us.

Get my thinking cap on!! any ideas?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved