The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 65 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#52170 - 07/26/05 09:54 AM Re: Ex-Grandmother?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Wow, that just goes to show, Wordcharmer, that love spreads and breeds more love. You have 16 grandchildren?! Bless you.

Thanks Pattyann. Lionpaws, you're right. Sometimes even more involved. Recall, I let the B-witch live here with me just because she was pregnant with my grandchild.

Dotsie, you're right about that. There is a cheaper way but my son only works part-time. That is something he'll have to figure out.

We took the baby to our family reunion and most of the relatives there fell in love with her and said that she looks like this relative and that relative...that she can't be denied as our blood. That made me feel good.

Now, for the drama Pt-3! My son is actually done with this woman. She can't take it. She tries everything to get his attention. She called my job saying that she feels like hurting herself. My heart goes out to her on that. Like I said, my sister rents to her so that she could help/be around her great neice, my granddaughter.

Well, my son goes there but wont go upstairs to see this woman. She plays the game that the baby cant come down when he's there, but, then after he doesn't make an effort to come upstairs, she comes down there trying to entice or argue w/him.

Just about an hour ago, the police took her to the hospital for attempted suicide, again, this time by cutting her wrist. Now, how are we supposed to give this baby back to her mother?
I wonder if the courts will make us??

[ July 26, 2005, 02:56 AM: Message edited by: Sugaree ]

#52171 - 07/26/05 06:32 PM Re: Ex-Grandmother?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Good grief! It sounds like she really needs some counseling. Big control issues there. Drama just to get even or get back with your son.

Who called the police? Was it a real attempt or just something to get attention? They'll keep her a few days to observe and maybe, hopefully, someone can reach her. I'm so sad you're going through this.

#52172 - 07/27/05 03:59 AM Re: Ex-Grandmother?
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
i feel strong about saying that you son needs to prove he's the father -- and then get a lawyer to have custody turned over to him -- or if that can't be due to his financial situation - can any of you adopt this poor baby ????

i can't believe the courts would return the baby to this mother after suicide attempts if there's someone better to give her too !!!

#52173 - 07/27/05 05:35 AM Re: Ex-Grandmother?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My personal experience is that when someone truly wants to commit suicide and die, they do! These half hazard attempts are nothing more than attention getters. I was wondering that too Dianne, who called the police/ambulance? [Eek!]

#52174 - 07/27/05 04:27 PM Re: Ex-Grandmother?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I have to give my take on this subject. I worked with suicide intervention in Newfoundland and was on call 24/7 (through the Safehouse)and it was a real eye opener, believe me. I want to give you just a few instances, too many to mention all. Small town where everyone knew everyone.

A young aquaintence of mine, who visited me in my store just to chat, talked about it constantly and had tried with several "unsuccessful" attempts. Even her parents thought she was looking for attention. I was concerned and told them they needed to take her seriously...so what's wrong with giving her attention(in the form of listening, caring or spending time trying to find a way to help?)Getting professional help couldn't hurt.
Her father found her hanging in the garage, too late.

Another person I knew took an overdose of pills and wouldn't go to the hospital until she talked to me. She was a young girl and her Mother called me hysterical, I called the Ambulance and had to talk her into going while "they" waited.

A very good friend of mine tried several times because of the abuse her father inflicted on her from the age of 3 until years after she was married. No one believed her. I see her when I visit every year. We spent a night together once and she told me everything...so terribly sad.

In a nutshell? If someone is looking for attention - find them some. There is obviously a problem, even if they are "testing" to get it. A test that shows no one truly cares May result in the real thing.

My years at suicide intervention opened my eyes to the hopelessness, sadness and despair that is held by those who even "consider saying it."
chick

#52175 - 07/27/05 05:15 PM Re: Ex-Grandmother?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Chick, thank you for your courage in responding. After I read Chatty's post about suicide last night, I went to bed with such a heavy heart, wondering how best to respond. I was awake for quite a long time debating over what approach to take.

I come from a different perspective, from one of those who DID try it and, only by the grace of God, survived. It was my first and only attempt, and I had tried desperately to get help before taking the overdose. I even spent four months in hospital, where unfortunately, the general attitude is much like Chatty's, that the suicide cry is just a ploy to get attention.

But I DESPERATELY needed attentive help. I just could NOT get through the pain and agony of my depression by myself, but nobody seemed to be listening. In the end, it seemed so utterly hopeless, and there are no words to adequately describe the depth or weight of that despair and hopelessness. In my eyes, I had already tried everything I knew to try to get myself help, and none of it was working. I'm not sure I wanted to die, so much as get rid of the relentless pain and despair. I had been deeply depressed for three years by that point, and with no end in sight, I simply couldn't get myself through another day. I was even praying to God to forgive me while I was taking the overdose of pills.

I was unconscious for almost 24 hours, and barely made it. While I was unconscious, I had an incredible dream where I was lying dead and limp in Jesus' arms. He was holding me close to His heart, rocking me back and forth, whispering, "I love you and I understand". That's all He did, just rocked me back and forth whispering those same words over and over again, for what I call an "eternity's worth of time". Then at the end, He said "Now it's time to give you back to the people who will love you back to life." I woke up, a changed person. It took me years of hard work to get out of that hellhole, but I did it. I still suffer from depression, probably always will, but that experience showed me that suicide wasn't the answer.

We must have compassion and understanding for the people who are trapped and lost in that dark despair. Depression is an illness, as legitimate an illness as cancer...perhaps we should call it cancer of the mind.

#52176 - 07/27/05 08:00 PM Re: Ex-Grandmother?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Eagle --- you are loved.

JJ

#52177 - 07/27/05 08:31 PM Re: Ex-Grandmother?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Thank you JJ, I wouldn't be here today without love to back me up, and God knows where I'd be this very day without this incredible BWS site...probably still in bed wondering how to get out and face another day...I truly believe that those days are finally OVER...hallelujah!

Once again, I have to apologize for my part in taking this thread off into another direction. I just couldn't let the comment about suicide slip by without offering another perspective.

#52178 - 07/28/05 07:17 AM Re: Ex-Grandmother?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Eagle Heart, good for you for offering your knowledgeable comments on this subject. It is one of those subjects like politics, no one answer fits all. In my teen years 3 of my closest friends tried suicide, 1 tried a dozen times looking for attention which she did get from those around her but the other 2 were serious and really wanted to die. Sylvia stepped of a curb smack in front of a semi truck doing 55 mph or so. This was her only attempt. Martin stepped into a bathtub where he dropped in a portable TV his was also a serious attempt. Its kind of like the boy who cried wolf, finally the wolf ate him. This nwas my only experience with suicide. The two that wanted to die, did...It is so sad to believe that anyone could be so distraut that to them death seems like the better answer. Thank God you failed my friend....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved