The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#5034 - 12/30/05 07:54 PM Re: Children At Christmas Time
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Brenda, I was experiencing some Christmas lethargy this year too. I really enjoyed the quietness of Advent, and put up the simplest display of just candles surrounding the nativity scene (I called it "Light and Love", which kept Lynnie and the rest of my Boomer sisters close to thought and heart throughout the season). It was very peaceful and I've been soaking in the lovely serenity of those visuals.

But when it came time to put up the tree, I didn't want to. It felt too "cluttered", visually noisy. But hubby helped (first time ever) and that helped make it more joyous.

But I'm like Ladybug (I think it was Ladybug who mentioned this somewhere else), just the thought now of having to take it all down and pack it all away is so exhausting. I'll leave my candles and nativity scene up for awhile longer, but I can't wait to get that tree down this year.

#5035 - 12/31/05 08:22 AM Re: Children At Christmas Time
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Yes, the tree sits behind me, I know I'll have to take it down...after the New Year rings.
Several years ago...I didn't take it down, it was still up in July when my brother came to visit, and through out the rest of the year.
Every person that came to the house mentioned the Christmas tree.

I relate to the "cluttered, visually noisy".
Not only for the tree...

#5036 - 12/31/05 08:43 AM Re: Children At Christmas Time
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Putting up the Christmas tree is such a huge pain in the neck, but after I get started, I always love it. Every year I do it differently.

This year, I had roses and butterflies. I bought a ton of roses on sale and kind of stuffed them in the tree. I saw the butterflies at a specialty store but they cost a fortune so I figured I could make them. Well, it took forever and made a terrible mess, but they were fabulous and the tree looked great. And it was really different.

One year my oldest daughter was sick and couldn't travel for Christmas. She didn't get here until Easter so I kept the tree up (fake of course-is there any other kind?) I added small stuffed animals and pastel ribbon. We had an Easter tree and a big party. It was great.

My Mom is a major Christmas nut like me. But this year she had been ill near Christmas and seemed depressed. She wasn't planning to put a tree up at all. It seemed so sad to me, so I found a pre-lit red glitter tree that just unfolded and surprised her with it.

It needed no ornaments and was so pretty. She loved it. It got her going. She dug out all the nativity stuff and really got in the spirit.

A friend is visiting from New Mexico. Her husband has cancer and she has had a terrible year. She came to care for her parents who have also been ill. She seemed just too tired and depressed to celebrate Christmas. I took her a pre-lit tree and some Christmas lights and presents too. (I fell for those pre-lit glittery Christmas trees). I think it got her in the spirit too. And it made me happy.

Well, that's all the Christmas tree stories I know for this year. Sorry it was long.

smile

#5037 - 12/30/05 09:07 PM Re: Children At Christmas Time
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
What a great daughter and fantastic friend.
Sounds like God was at work within you, have to "smile" with love at his work.

#5038 - 12/31/05 12:49 AM Re: Children At Christmas Time
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Smile, you are such a thoughtful person! My best friend Kate did something like that for me the Christmas I was severely depressed (and very poor). She arrived at my dark, dingy mouse-infested (very un-Christmassy) apartment with a small tree, miniature lights and ornaments, and hot chocolate. We spent a wonderful time decorating the tree together.

It was such a gift, not the tree itself, but the entire experience of such faithful friendship.

#5039 - 12/31/05 02:58 AM Re: Children At Christmas Time
smilinize Offline

When my kids were young they always seemed to know of at least one family who was truly in need at Christmas. If they didn't have a tree, we would get them a fake one with lights and decorations. We would get food for Christmas dinner and presents that we would wrap up with cards saying they were from the others in the family. Then we would put it all on their doorstep one night before Christmas. We would ring the bell and rush away. It was such fun.

That was at a time when we hardly had money for our own Christmas, but we never missed what we spent on those little anonymous surprises. My kids still remember those times.

Nowadays, we contribute to our church and other charities, but it seems like we don't know very many people who are truly in need any more. I was so blessed to do something for my friend and my mother this year. Welfare and organized charities are certainly important, but it seems as if they kind of take some of the blessings away from us as individuals. Seems like everyone is blessed when we help each other out.

Just some thoughts.

smile

[ December 30, 2005, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#5040 - 12/31/05 07:40 AM Re: Children At Christmas Time
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Well See!

Christmas Spirit does exist ! In all of us, actually. You KNOW I had a tough time this Christmas. And I too, was thinking about the tree and all the boxes and boxes of ornaments, etc.

But one day it was snowing in Boise as I passed a tree lot. (Have always had a real tree, but, man, they're expensive these days....) And the sign said $12.50 and up. What a deal! So I turned right and 15 minutes later, the Charlie Brownest tree ever was in my back seat. Standing 7 ft. tall tho'!!! I set it up and put lights on. But when I started to hang the ornaments, they all SLID OFF! Kept rehanging and rehanging...finally, most of them stuck. For a day or two.... I was glad I did tho'.

Next year, well, things just gotta' change, that's all.

Searcher

#5041 - 12/31/05 07:50 AM Re: Children At Christmas Time
Searcher Offline

Smile!!!!

You sweet pea you! We are kindred spirits, as our little family used to adopt a family at Christmas (in secret), and do the ring-and-run thing too !! I thought that was the very best thing - and so did the kids. We would hide behind bushes and watch as the family would come out and find presents!!

Yeah, too bad for us these days, but I AM happy those families aren't hurting as badly......Well, I know plenty are, but, there really are a number of groups, etc. that help out now, when in by-gone days, they weren't there.

#5042 - 12/31/05 07:56 AM Re: Children At Christmas Time
smilinize Offline

What is it about the tree?

I can be in the scroogiest mood in the world and the moment I get the tree up I turn into the biggest Santa on the planet.

I'm glad you found that tree searcher. I hope your Christmas was beautiful and your New Year is full of joy.

smile

#5043 - 12/31/05 08:02 AM Re: Children At Christmas Time
Searcher Offline

Thanks, Smile.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved