The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#4232 - 01/10/05 09:38 AM Youth rejecting Christian beliefs
Happy Birthday coffeemom Offline

Have any of you ever dealt with this problem? It's causing me a lot of stress.

My 2 sons are 17 and 21, in high school and college. For about the last year they have been questioning the Christian beliefs that they have been brought up on. They are reading about other religions and philosophy. They argue with me constantly about these issues and won't listen to me.

The more I try to convince them, the more they rebel. They don't want to go to church anymore.

Help!

#4233 - 01/10/05 10:04 PM Re: Youth rejecting Christian beliefs
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Coffee, don't fret. I think it's healthy. There comes a time when they have to search and find answers for themselves. [Wink]

Have you always been a bleiever?

The Bible says to raise up a child in the ways of the Lord and when he is old he won't depart from it. (Not the best translation)

I've been in discussions with other women about this verse and someone laughed and commented that it doesn't say what happens between the time he's a child and old.

Trust me. I'm not making light of this. My two that are still home don't want to go to church these days either. It breaks my heart. We continue to make them go occasionally. We continue to share why our faith is important to us. We continue to live by example...and pray, pray, pray for them.

#4234 - 01/11/05 12:54 AM Re: Youth rejecting Christian beliefs
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Coffee,

I second what Dot says, I personally went through this as well.

And I will tell you looking at it from hindsight, I am glad I did. When a non-christian wants to debates with me, the one thing I cannot be accused of is being ignorant of his/her's faith. Hopefully with that, I have planted a seed.

Now, my 15 year old daughter is going through the same thing. I was concerned at first, but I had remembered where I had been, so all I am doing is allowing her to play it out. Ever since, she has come to me several times to ask me a question or two about God.

I hope this helps.

Love and Hugs,
Cathi

#4235 - 01/11/05 01:07 AM Re: Youth rejecting Christian beliefs
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Coffee
I went through that and my girls who are on their own went through it also. One just completed Seminary and is an ordained minister. The other is a very active Christian.
Try not be concerned. Just set an example.
smile

#4236 - 01/11/05 10:01 PM Re: Youth rejecting Christian beliefs
angelsmuse Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
coffee,
My sons and my oldest daughter are going throught the same thing. I keep reminding myself that I raised them to make up their own minds and I'm hoping this is what they are doing. I know they still believe in God and that is my consolation. My oldest doesn't want to participate in organized religion but he does believe so I hold my tongue. My second son is just lazy someday he'll come around. My daughter has been to hell and back and still on the road. She sees her problems as God's way of punishing her for some unknown act she has committed. She has yet to reach the phase where she looks at the negatives as positives. I pray for my three older children and ask God to continue to put the paths there for them and I am trying to ensure that my preschooler will not have the same issues when she is a young adult. I don't know if this helps at all but I will add your children to my prayers. For there is no greater place to be than with God.

Chris(angel) [Wink]

#4237 - 01/12/05 01:43 AM Re: Youth rejecting Christian beliefs
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Well, I have to ask this: You say they won't listen to you but are you listening to them? I don't mean convert or agree but just listen. They start wanting to open and discover new things but it doesn't mean they will leave their primary faith. They're just looking and curious. I think if you refuse to even hear what they are saying or yakking about, it might cause problems. Maybe let them talk until they realize certain beliefs really don't go along with their beliefs and the curiosity is gone. My sister really changed her Christian beliefs after going off to college and some class she took that made her seriously doubt her faith. But, it all fell away...but I think it would have fallen away sooner if my Dad had just listened to her and not told her she was going to hell. I know I sound strong but I think this is part of growing up and maybe, just maybe, they just want to explore with you listening. I sure wouldn't worry about them.

#4238 - 01/12/05 04:44 AM Re: Youth rejecting Christian beliefs
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Is it even possible to inherit someone else's beliefs?
I may be one of the few people on this forum to take the opposite side here -- I went to a Christian church until I was in high school, then a year after graduating, I became a Baha'i and have been ever since. I'd like my children to be Baha'is, but in the Baha'i Faith, you can't be born with beliefs -- we are enjoined to independently investigate the truth.

#4239 - 01/12/05 07:42 AM Re: Youth rejecting Christian beliefs
Happy Birthday coffeemom Offline

To Dotsie:

Yes, I've been a Christian since age 12. My grandmother and mother were devout Christians. I still make mine go to church, too, but not every Sunday. Sometimes, I just dread the fight. And it's true about the prayer. I feel like that's all I can do. That's funny about what happens between the time he's a child and old. But truthfully, you worry about their choices.

Cathi:

Yes, you have a good point. You can personally say that you went through those same doubts, and then give reasons why you believe. I'd like to hear more about how you are dealing with your daughter concerning this. Have you basically backed off, and let her come to you?

Smilinize:

Your post was very reassuring to me. I guess the Lord understands these questions more than we realize and gives them time to work them out. Sometimes I forget how merciful he is. It is very comforting to hear about your daughters and the work they are doing for the Lord now.

Chris:

Thank you for sharing that you have similar problems. This really helps. I will pray for your children, too. My sons are like your older one. They don't like organized religion or church. It comforts me that they will still pray each evening with me. My younger one bucks it some, but his brother gets after him.

I'm sorry about your daughter feeling so guilty over imagined sins. That is a heavy load to bear. She probably has some misconceptions about God and his love. I used to do that myself when I was younger. It was a hard thing to fight. She's probably a very sensitive person.

Dianne:

I have to be truthful. I listen for awhile and then get angry. We get into arguments. They feel like I'm forcing my beliefs on them, and I probably am without realizing it. I'm afraid I react a little like your dad did. My son, too, started exploring these beliefs when he went to college and had a very worldly philosophy teacher that he admired. Thank you for your honest advice.

DJ:

You're right. We must decide our beliefs for ourselves, and know why we believe!

Thanks everyone for all your advice. It really was very helpful!

#4240 - 01/12/05 10:49 PM Re: Youth rejecting Christian beliefs
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
DJ, good question. Can we inherit another's beliefs. If we're forced into attending church and never allowed to even ask questions about other religions, even as a child and out of curiosity, aren't we really being forced into a belief whether we want it or not? Haven't we inherited our parents beliefs? That's a heavy question.

#4241 - 01/12/05 11:31 PM Re: Youth rejecting Christian beliefs
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, this is something I have considered because I am the only one of five children to leave the Catholic church. I am also the only one who attends church faithfully.

Anyway, here's what I've come up with through the years and it may not make sense to all of you. I basically have the same morals and values that I was taught as a child...in the Catholic faith and at home. But, my beliefs are different which means my reasons for holding my morals and values may be different. Does that make sense to any of you?

An example and a very broad one:

Be nice...or you'll go to hell.
Be nice...because God is love and treating others with love is what I'm called to do.

Totally different motive!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved