The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3791 - 07/29/03 09:58 PM When children come back home
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My daughter (20) just came back home to live. She really tried hard to make it out on her own, but she got behind on her rent, the late fees added up, a boss took off to get married and forgot to pay the employees so they had to wait for their checks, causing more late fees, and well, now she's back home.

She didn't tell me any of this until it was too late to help her, except offer her a place to stay while she gets back on her feet.

anyone else have children who've left the nest and then come back home?

#3792 - 07/30/03 01:17 AM Re: When children come back home
Sandy Offline

Loc: Colorado
This is what i did with my grown children. if they wanted to live at home, they had to pay room and board. i figured a fair, low, yet learning cost for that was $400.00 a month. But, instead of keeping the money, i put it in a savings account. when my child was ready to try wetting their feet a second time, i gave them the money i saved from the room and board. in one year they were able to save a good amount of money on their own, and when i handed them $4800 back, they didn't need come back. [Smile]
Well, they come back, but not to stay forever. just a night here and a visit there.
Hope this helps. It really worked for mine. Sandy

#3793 - 07/30/03 02:36 AM Re: When children come back home
gwinny Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Sometime after my daughter was married and shortly before Alex was born, we decided to share an apartment together -- Lisa & Victor (her hubby) and me and Todd (my son). We split the bills in half. Lisa became a stay-at-home mom and for the most part, took care of the house and meals. The arrangement worked for us -- I had my own room and did my own thing. Todd got his own place after a couple of years. Probably the most important thing I did was relinquish the title of "Boss". A few months after their 3rd child was born (and about the same time that I had decided that I wanted to get a place of my own), Victor left Lisa for another woman. There was no way I could move until Lisa could get on her feet and be able to support the 3 kids. In June of 2001 we moved from a pretty big 3 bedroom house to a little 2-bedroom apartment which was nearer where we both worked. There was a substantial reduction in rent and bills. We felt that the time was about upon us where Lisa would be able to make it alone, and the apartment would work fine for them and she could afford it. We were VERY cramped, but you endure a lot of things well when you think it is not forever. One month after we moved -- the company both of us worked for closed down and both of us were without income! Praise God -- we made it through that time, although I still marvel that we did.

I decided that with the market so tight and jobs so scarce, this was the time to go back to school and pursue my degree. Due to a 75% reduction in income, I qualified for full grants and loans. I also made the announcement that I would no longer be paying half the bills. It was time for Lisa to pay her real share. There was only 1 of me -- and 4 of them. She has really stepped up to the plate and came through. I have become more of a Nanny for her, and try to schedule my classes so I am home when the kids get out of school -- I take care of them while she works and pick them up if the school calls, take them to the doctor/dentist. We decided that because child care would cost over $300 a week during the summer, I would stay with them and she would work. I do some work from home, and play the piano for church, so I have a little income, but my biggest contribution is being home and being a Nanny (Granny).

This is not a situation we want forever -- and it would not work for a lot of people. But it works for us, for this season in our lives, and I am truly thankful. People will sometime say, "Oh, your daughter lives with you?" -- NO -- We SHARE a home. And at this point -- it would probably be more correct to say that I live with my daughter. LOL.

Gwinny

#3794 - 08/01/03 02:31 AM Re: When children come back home
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Gwinny & Sandy, thanks for responding. Your stories give me hope that all will work out in the end.

It's really been kinda great timing for Michelle to move back home. My illnesses and my congenital spinal stenosis keeps me from doing much around the house (physically) .. so she's really pitched in w/that. Although, she was always doing that for me. She'd come every 2 weeks and clean my house and I'd pay her.

My husband is starting a new business w/his saltwater aquariums and she's really jumped in to help. He's actually hired her as his assistant. So, we're all finding the positive in this situation.

We wanted her to find a new job anyway, cuz we didn't like where she was working before. She was a cashier at an "adult shop"... not the best location, either.

We offered to pay her nearly as much as she was making there. We are asking her to pay for her own groceries. Other than that, I think we'll be ok.

But, the only downside is I lose my office. It used to be her bedroom and when she left home, I turned it into my office. Now, we'll have to change it back. I can move my personal computer and files back into my bedroom (it's 16x24) there's plenty of room, and I've basically turned the dining room into my craft room anyway, so it won't hurt to squeeze a bit more in there.

And, like Gwinny said, it's not forever. [Smile]

Peace & Hugs!

#3795 - 08/01/03 05:55 PM Re: When children come back home
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
We are about to embark on this adventure ourselves. Our oldest daughter (28) has just accepted a new job in Phoenix and will be moving from Ft. Worth in just a couple of weeks. She will be staying with us for a couple of months while she finds and buys a townhouse. With her comes a dog and a cat (we already have one of each ourselves!) On top of that, daughter #2 will be here at the same time for a week for work related and wedding-related issues, AND we have friends visiting from Mississippi, which has been planned for over 10 months. My house is NOT that big!!! Should be quite fascinating to see how this all works out....................

#3796 - 08/03/03 10:51 PM Re: When children come back home
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Fortunately all the coming and going has to do with good things. [Wink]

Sounds like a house full to me. Have fun making the most of it.

#3797 - 11/12/03 04:37 PM Re: When children come back home
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thought I'd bring this post back because it seems as though this conversation is going on in another forum. Just some more thoughts to add to the kids moving back home...or never leaving!

#3798 - 11/15/03 04:41 PM Re: When children come back home
Dotsie Offline
Founder

My son's coming home for Thanksgiving and I can't wait to see him. He hasn't ben home since mid-July. First year of college.

Advice ladies, please?! I hear the first visits home can be challenging because they are feeling like their wings have beeen clipped. Any suggestions for preventive actions? [Big Grin]

Come on all you experienced people who have kids back at home...let me hear what youn have to say...please!

#3799 - 11/16/03 03:23 PM Re: When children come back home
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I don't think Thanksgiving will be too much of a problem because it is such a short visit. The real challenge will be the winter break if it's long. Just remember he's had four months of not having to tell anyone where he's going or what he's doing. He will probably get annoyed about having to answer those questions again. Just remind him that your not doing it to keep tabs or to tell him no, your just curious. I would stear clear of setting a curfew. Let him use his best judgement and if it gets out of hand, then call him on it.

#3800 - 12/07/03 01:46 AM Re: When children come back home
smilingthrulife Offline

Loc: Baytown, Tx
My son comes home to visit pretty regularly. I'm real lucky, my son out of curtesy will tell me where he's going, when and what time he will be home. He has his own key so he pretty much comes and goes as he pleases. But fortunately, when he does come home...its to see us and no one else.

The one thing that I've never taught my son successfully is to clean up and pick up after himself. SIGH!!! When he comes home the whole condo looks like a tornado hit it when he leaves. I'm at a point now that I'm really glad when he leaves. My son knows that our accomendations are way too small to handle him to live here full time. I provide money to him when he needs it to stay in college and in his own place. That works for us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved