The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 123 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#36536 - 08/01/04 02:53 AM Re: Crochet Lovers?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Lionspaaw, what I would love to have is a book that shows ALL of the crochet stitches. An idiot's guide to...you know? Knitting I know, but crochet I need a cheat sheet for the different stitches. Do you have anything like that? I would love to make some booties for baby Lea...soon to be the apple of her Big Mamma's eye!

JJ

#36537 - 08/01/04 02:14 PM Re: Crochet Lovers?
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
JJ - I did have one -- when I took everything back over to the warehouse -- and if my mom hasn't sold it to anyone I'll find it for you [Smile]

your local Walmart might have one back in the craft section --

and Amazon has some good ones (i just looked).
Do a search in books for crochet stitches

The Harmony Guide books are real good (that's the one I'm hoping I still have) and anything from Leisure Arts or American School of Stitchery. Those three publishers, we've found, have the least amount of "errors". There is nothing more annoying than being half way thru a pattern and finding they forgot to type in the next step [Smile]
Also, the Patons patterns are nice --

Which reminds me to remind you -- the europeans use different language than the americans. A double crochet to THEM is a single crochet to US, a triple is a double, etc. so just be careful if you're using a european based companies patterns.

Thats why I mentioned Harmony, Leisure and American School to look for as starters [Smile]

#36538 - 08/01/04 04:01 PM Re: Crochet Lovers?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Good Lord...I have enough trouble following patterns, I can't imagine having to "think" too! I'll stick with the American ones, thank you!

JJ

#36539 - 08/01/04 04:44 PM Re: Crochet Lovers?
lionspaaw Offline

silly you [Big Grin]

I didnt mean to discourage you -- just give you a heads up on watching for American patterns [Smile]

I found out the hard way -- did a pattern with double crochets -- and had a sock that would fit an adult -- not an child [Smile] then I realized this was a pattern from a company in England and they meant SINGLE crochet when they said double [Smile]

#36540 - 08/01/04 04:52 PM Re: Crochet Lovers?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

LOL! That would have been my luck Lionspaaw, I would have ended up crocheting an afgan that would cover the world! Course...that's not a bad idea now that I think about it..hm...Warming da World...one blanket at a time...hm...I feel a theme coming on here...hmm.... [Big Grin]

JJ

#36541 - 08/01/04 06:30 PM Re: Crochet Lovers?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
JJ:
that's a great project for any boomer woman who wants to help the needy. Crochet a blanket, or afghan... Something good to give out around thanksgiving or christmas to shelters, nursing homes, etc? Or maybe baby blankets for newborns of teenagers???

So many ways to help... and God gave each of us different abilities to help in one way [Smile] or another!

#36542 - 08/02/04 12:36 AM Re: Crochet Lovers?
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I love to knit and have made many scarves...

Don't know how to crochet but it's never too late?

#36543 - 08/02/04 12:48 PM Re: Crochet Lovers?
lionspaaw Offline

Songbird --

There are several knitting/crochet group projects out there --

Some make sweaters for the birds that get wiped out by oil slicks throughout the world (when a tanker leaks oil for instance)

Some make clothes for bears to give to the police/fire departments to hand out to small children when they find them in stressful situations (domestic disputes, fires, etc)

Some ask for squares of certain sizes to be sent to them so they can sew them together for blankets for the homeless

Some make premie caps for the hospitals premie babies to keep them warm in the incubator

Some collect and send yarn to countries like Iraq and Iran for the women in refuge camps can make socks and gloves etc for their families

we had one woman that made booties for the kittens and puppies in the local shelters during the winter

and I'm sure there are tons more -- those are just the ones we were involved with when we had the shop open

so its a really nice thing us crafters can do

and Toni -- if you can knit -- you can crochet [Smile] I've crochetted since I was little bitty but only learned to knit about 10 yrs ago

so JJ -- go get your book and start warming up the world [Big Grin]

#36544 - 08/02/04 11:49 PM Re: Crochet Lovers?
Songbird Offline

Toni: For some reason... I've always believed that crochet is a lot easier than kniting! It must be, one hook instead of two needles???

#36545 - 08/02/04 11:51 PM Re: Crochet Lovers?
Songbird Offline

lionspaaw: Sounds like that is a good idea for a any group of women... Knitting, crocheting for the needy!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved