The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#35735 - 04/16/05 12:17 AM Women's Midlife Crises
JulieG Offline

Loc: Centerville, Ohio
A new book just out is "The Breaking Point" by Sue Shellenbarger, about the female midlife crisis. (What??) I've just started reading it, but it's fascinating. She writes a column in the Wall Street Journal on "Work and Family." She did a column a couple years ago about having at ATV accident and lightly mentioned her midlife crisis, and she says she got more mail in response to that column than any other. I've seen a couple articles about the book, so there will probably start being more publicity--I'll bet she'll be on Oprah and Good Morning America and all that.

Basically, she says that more women than ever are going through major changes in their 40's and 50's. That's when we stop for a breath, look around, and say, "Is this all there is?" Some of us go completely off the deep end, ditch the spouse, take off for the mountains, etc. Others go through gradual changes that take years.

It seems like most of the women in these forums have gone through a crisis/renewal, with special emphasis on developing our creativity through writing.

#35736 - 04/17/05 07:59 AM Re: Women's Midlife Crises
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I guess to me, renewal is not crisis. Change is not crisis unless it produces stress, which not all change does. I guess my point here is that "crisis" is not always the best word to describe this phenomena.

#35737 - 04/17/05 08:15 PM Re: Women's Midlife Crises
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
JulieG, thanks for telling us about this one. This is the topic I've been researching for my book. Every day I learn something new about baby boomer women and I love it. It sounds like this woman is right on target. I've got to look her up. Her name sounds vaguely familiar. I can't wait to see what I can find. Thanks!

#35738 - 04/17/05 08:23 PM Re: Women's Midlife Crises
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
quote:
Originally posted by meredithbead:
I guess to me, renewal is not crisis. Change is not crisis unless it produces stress, which not all change does. I guess my point here is that "crisis" is not always the best word to describe this phenomena.

The 'crisis' in the traditional story arc of literature is the point of "no turning back." It is the point where the protagonist must either give up or go for broke in one final thrust to reach the goal.
Maybe that is what happens at midlife. Some of us, like Meredith, 'go for broke' and are renewed by reaching for the goal of living life to the fullest.
Others give up and withdraw from life all together, just existing in quiet desperation until death takes them.

Maudlin thought.
smile

[ April 17, 2005, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#35739 - 04/18/05 01:38 AM Re: Women's Midlife Crises
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wow, what a thought to just give up and wait silently for death. Not me I'm going to go kicking and screaming, radio blaring Motown in one hand and a chocolate chip cookie in the other....Death wants me, its going to have to do the work... [Eek!] Quiet desperaion my Aunt Fanny!!!No way Josee...

#35740 - 04/18/05 02:52 AM Re: Women's Midlife Crises
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
If death wants you Chatty, It will, without doubt, have a fight on its hands. There is no one more full of life than you are. Looks like almost all boomers are pretty lively also.
smile

#35741 - 04/18/05 05:39 PM Re: Women's Midlife Crises
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I was passionate about raising my family. Now that they are almost ready to leave the nest, I have other passions to follow. This site is one of them. God is gracious!

#35742 - 04/18/05 05:43 PM Re: Women's Midlife Crises
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I was passionate about raising my family. Now that they are almost ready to leave the nest, I have other passions to follow. This site is one of them. God is gracious!

Smile, boomers are changing the way we do midlife. We don't want our mother's midlives(midlife?). Many of them didn't know how to handle the empty nest. Boomers in some respects are flying the nest with their kids and discovering all the options for what still lies ahead.

#35743 - 04/19/05 07:57 AM Re: Women's Midlife Crises
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
I feel like I am just now "coming into my own". I am turning the big "40" this year, and I have more hope, more passion then ever!

If I could change just one thing about my life (lol) I would have the body I had when I was 21 -- and the experience and wisdom that I have now.

I love where I am at! No crisis here! The good years are at my fingertips!

Danita

#35744 - 04/18/05 09:11 PM Re: Women's Midlife Crises
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
What happens if you've just totally lost all sense of any passion whatsoever and don't have a clue what brings you joy or passion? Where do you start looking?

You can say that the best things in life are free, but unfortunately, to add to the dilemma of discovering or pursuing one's passions, the reality is that many passions cost money to pursue.

I don't have to worry about that right now because I'm still trying to figure out what I'm passionate about, and not coming up with anything except just possible (and relatively free) ways to pass the time. But I can't even go out and experiment with options of interest because everything costs more than is affordable right now.

How do you know what your passions are?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved