The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#35111 - 11/19/02 04:26 AM Inspirational book...Let's Roll, by Lisa Beamer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I recently attended a Women of Faith convention in Philadelphia and was fortunate enough to hear Lisa Beamer speak. WOW!!! To jog your memory, her husband, Todd, was the man on United Flight 93, who took over the plane that was intended to strike the White House. Meeting Lisa was such a humbling experience. She is the mother of 3 children, one of whom was born since 9-11. I was in awe of her presence, sense of calm, and faith. I was fighting back the tears as I listened to her story of trusting God to give her the strength to get from one day to the next. She compared her 2 year old son's temper tantrums, and desire to run rampid in a parking lot without holding her hand... to the times when she runs rampid, throwing temper tantrums without holding her savior's hand. Lesson learned...hand holding is best!

After listening to her speak, I felt compelled to get her book. The line to get an autographed copy was way too long so I immediately hit the book store when I got home. I even bought it without getting a discount. That is something I rarely do these days! Anyway, the book is worth the read and the full price I paid for it! It is hard to believe how faithful she is, but I am convinced it's because she was raised in the faith and prepared for this. You will be amazed at how she takes one day at a time, and continues to live by God's grace alone. She is very frank and talks about her moments of despair without Todd being around to help her raise their children...heartwrenching! But by books end you have the sense that Lisa will be okay because she has the love of God and a loving support group of family and friends! I am trying to figure out a way to get my three teens to read this. Maybe they will have a better understanding of why we are raising them in the faith.

#35112 - 11/25/02 07:50 AM Re: Inspirational book...Let's Roll, by Lisa Beamer
Uvagolfmom Offline

Loc: Towson
I just started reading this. I am always grappling with how to get my kids to read this kind of stuff. I find it works better with other people. I am reading the book about the two female missionaries who were imprisoned in Afghanistan with my nephew/godson since I thought it might be nice to communicate through e-mail on it as preparation for confirmation together. With my kids, somebody else has to convince them it is a worthwhile read. I wish I could do it directly with them, although we read a lot together for years and I am still reading the Left Behind series with my younger one.

#35113 - 11/25/02 04:22 PM Re: Inspirational book...Let's Roll, by Lisa Beamer
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I can't believe you are reading that book! At the conference that I attended when Lisa Beamer spoke, the other guest speakers were those gals that had been held hostage in Aphganistan. Isn't that wild? Both girls spoke about their experiences...another tear jerker! Incredible bravery and courage! They too have amazing faith. Let me know if you like the book.

Something that I have done with good books, funny...I have been known to leave them in the kids bathroom and my oldest son has been known to pick them up and read while...well you know what I mean. That reminds me, I am going to put "Let's Roll" up there. Who knows, maybe it will get read after all.

#35114 - 11/30/02 06:21 AM Re: Inspirational book...Let's Roll, by Lisa Beamer
Uvagolfmom Offline

Loc: Towson
That is a good idea. After years and years (and years) of reading to my kids, they appear at last to be turning into readers. It is very gratifying. My best bets will be to leave it lying around the family room or the living room. I also share with them my e-mails to and from my godson. They may grow interested.

#35115 - 11/30/02 03:45 PM Re: Inspirational book...Let's Roll, by Lisa Beamer
Micki Offline

Loc: Linthicum, MD
I have a niece that loves to read, and I just let her borrow my "A Child Called It" trilogy to read this weekend while she is at my fathers' for Thanksgiving. Dave Pelzer is another story of inspiration and guts. I want to read "Let's Roll", too. I saw Lisa Beamer on television not long ago and she looks wonderful. We need remember forever the sacrifice that her hubby and the others on that plane made for us.

#35116 - 12/18/02 05:27 PM Re: Inspirational book...Let's Roll, by Lisa Beamer
hearmeroar Offline

I feel C.S. Lewis covers everything from grief to humor. He is a 'must have'.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved