The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 185 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34830 - 07/20/05 01:11 PM Re: house cleaning
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Vicki, my husband is the pack rat in this family and wants to save every broken piece of garbage that we "might" need in the future.

Case in point: we installed our new water heater today. We bought new intake valves and whatever those crinkly pipe thingies are. He wants to save the 30-year-old parts.

HELLOOOOOO!! [Embarrassed] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I told him that if he wants to keep them, it has to be somewhere in the garage that I will NEVER see. I told him also that if I ever find those parts in the garage, I'll toss them ASAP and he will never hear the end of it.

So then he asked me if I thought anyone wanted our old water heater.

The one that leaks? Oh, sure. They're lining up now as I type this.

#34831 - 07/20/05 03:58 PM Re: house cleaning
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Meredith, dare not tell Hubbo that water heaters can be recycled into great BBQ grills...
speaking of recycled,one of your awards was for recycled bottles? Could you explain?

chick

#34832 - 07/20/05 05:57 PM Re: house cleaning
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, Mom was like that. She saved everything. You can't imagine the job we had when they sold the house where they raised five kids.

Chatty's suggestions are good. Here's another suggestion whilel going through "stuff".

Pile 1- Can't live without
Pile 2- Salvation Army
Pile 3- TRASH!

#34833 - 07/20/05 06:12 PM Re: house cleaning
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
My hubby's a pack-rat too, stemming from being extremely poor throughout childhood. I long ago made peace with his insatiable need to have two fully-loaded pantries (we have enough tins and dry food here to feed ourselves for six months if anything ever goes wrong). But I only just discovered this past week that ALL of the clothing that I thought "we" had given to the Salvation Army over the past few years is still in bags hidden in various cubby holes in our basement!!! Some of the stuff had belonged to my Dad who's been gone for six years now. And all of Mom's clothing was still there, even though I know I had packaged most of it up to give away. Apparently he's keeping it all to take to Cuba someday.

After re-sorting through every one of those bags, and keeping only the stuff I know for certain will even suit the climate and people in Cuba, I ended up with 8 garbage bags full of stuff for the Salvation Army (and then personally phoned them to arrange pick-up next week!)

The funny thing is that while going through those bags of clothing that were supposed to be given away years ago, I found a few things that I had always regretted throwing away, so pulled them out and kept them. But I didn't tell hubby that. LOL.

#34834 - 07/20/05 06:14 PM Re: house cleaning
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Vicki, I am afraid if I volunteer, I will just drag your unwanted stuff to my house [Roll Eyes]

My bio Dad's nickname was "packrat", he even had a stamp made with it on there. In our initial hello, this is your daughter phone call, he asked "Do you collect anything?' I said "I am a packrat."
The apple doesn't fall far...ha ha.

I work at the Salvation Army...I need to bring them a box a day. I should be cleaned out by the year 2010. Then I can to start bringing back some of what I brought home...seesh!

Can you believe, I left Canada seven years ago with only 2 suitcases!

chick

#34835 - 07/20/05 09:43 PM Re: house cleaning
Eagle Heart Offline

I just have to laugh at myself. While posting my message earlier, it reminded me that the Thrift Store was having a Blowout Sale today, with 50% off everything in the store. So I rushed right over and bought $40 (but only payed $20!) worth of clothing, all for our Cuba friends. Most of it was children's clothing, so with the sale it only cost 50 cents for each piece. So I was able to get a lot of good stuff for that $20.

But where to store it all! My giant suitcase is already filled with girls' dresses, toddler outfits, boys' shorts and Spiderman t-shirts...(the goal is to bring one dress or outfit for each child in "our family" there next February)...and we don't leave until February!

#34836 - 07/20/05 11:00 PM Re: house cleaning
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Your suggestions sound good. One of the reasons I want to go through my things and sort/throw out, is because I don't want to leave it to my children or grandchildren to do after I die. It's my mess I should clean it up. :-) And, I want my dining room back. Right now it's filled to the brim with aromatherapy and craft related items.

#34837 - 07/21/05 06:03 AM Re: house cleaning
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Vicki,

My parents cleaned house, and set stuff in a great big pile, and gave us the option to take any of it. I was VERY blessed to take some of their "junk" off their hands - as some of it had memories attached to it.

just a thought.

danita

#34838 - 07/21/05 06:44 AM Re: house cleaning
Eagle Heart Offline

I second Danita's sentiments...some of my most cherished belongings came out of Mom's "junk" drawers. They're extra special treasures now that she's gone. By the time my nieces get them from MY "junk" drawers, they'll be family heirlooms.

#34839 - 07/22/05 02:14 PM Re: house cleaning
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I think we already have a bbq. I'm not really sure, though, as no one has ever used it. Either way, I won't mention ANYTHING that can be done with a used water heater, or you-know-who will want to save it.

The recycled categories at the County Fair: you take an everyday object that you might throw out as it has no intrinsic value, and you decorate it or make something useful. Last year's #1 winner (not mine) was a cereal box made into a purse.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved