The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 199 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34740 - 06/27/05 01:11 AM Re: DO NOT CALL
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have a no soliciting sign on my door and it seems to work but they will then slip things intro the door jam, a card or flyer but thats all. The fewthat knock anyway, wen I open the door and they begin the pitch I just point to the sign and shut the door. I say the minute I kinow theres a telemarketer on the phone, "I am not interested." If they continue to speak I say, "hold on" lay the phone down and eventually they hang up. I guess they are just trying to make a living but they also try my patience... [Mad]

#34741 - 06/27/05 01:24 AM Re: DO NOT CALL
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Opps, I forgot(not hard these peri days)

Call your operator and get the attorney general's phone number for your state and ask to be taken off the list... no more calls.

Simple as that.

chick

#34742 - 06/27/05 04:07 AM Re: DO NOT CALL
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
quote:
I feel sorry for telemarketers. I'm sure they must be saddened by all the hangups and irritation they encounter and I figure they might be pretty desperate for money.

Okay, here is my sympathetic side to telemarketers. I worked one season for Lillian Vernon, and the calls for me were incoming. However, we were suppose to push this other package to our callers. I hated it!

Besides the fact that I felt the package was nothing but fraudulent. We couldn't let a caller go until we received, two confirmed no's. "I am not interested" is not considered a no. And our calls were actually recorded and then we were lectured on when our calls were not exactly to their satisfaction.

Everytime, I kept hearing a "I am not interested", deep down I was thinking. Come on, just say NO! NO! and then I can let you go so I will not get in trouble.

However, I just do not answer the phone. I figure I am making it easier for the both of us.

Bottom line, I have enough going on all the time, and I just get tired of my privacy being invaded. Not only that, the comeback questions when you are trying to be polite in saying no, is overstepping some bounds IMO.

Cheers,
Cathi

#34743 - 06/28/05 01:26 PM Re: DO NOT CALL
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Back in the good old days before answering machines, if I picked up the phone and the other party said "Mrs ..." that was the dead giveaway that it wasn't anyone who knew me.

I then proceded to start the Feminism 101 lecture, and the phone manners lecture (you DO NOT assume the identity of the person who picks up the phone) which could go on for hours. Usually they hung up on me. HA!

Somedays when I wasn't in Didactic Mode, when the telemarketer said "Mrs. His-Last-Name?" I simply said No and hung up the phone.

#34744 - 06/28/05 08:06 PM Re: DO NOT CALL
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I have a friend who when he gets a call like that starts selling them something, whatever he can think of at the time. It's hilarious to hear and they usually hang up on Him.
smile

#34745 - 06/29/05 01:58 AM Re: DO NOT CALL
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Preaching religion to them works too. However, I'm on the do not call registry and will still get calls from time to time. I always ask what the company is so I can report them. Quick hang up then.

#34746 - 06/30/05 10:12 PM Re: DO NOT CALL
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
quote:
Originally posted by Dotsie:
Katrinka, happy to help. We don't get those text messages. We use Verizon. Do you have to pay for them?

When it was AT & T wireless, I had to. I haven't received any text messages since it became Cingular. My kids like to IM and text message their friends and vice versa, so I wanted to block that feature. I found out I have to pay a monthly fee to have that blocked. Outrageous!
Marie

#34747 - 06/30/05 10:21 PM Re: DO NOT CALL
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
You girls crack me up. I don't think I could be a quick enough thinker to try and sell something back to a telemarketer. Hmm. Maybe I should try it with my book. I've done the "hold on" thing and put the phone down until they eventually hang up. I agree that everyone has to make a living somehow. But I'm not sympathetic to these people because they chose to take the job. It wasn't my choice. I'm feeling cranky. Can't you tell?
Marie

#34748 - 07/05/05 08:47 PM Re: DO NOT CALL
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Marie, how old are your kids? My daughter had an outrageous text messaging bill one month. She forked over the money too. Haven't had another one like it since.

I know a teenager who had over a $700.00 bill one month from phoning his girlfirend who lived less than a half hour away. All he had to was pick up his home phone and it would have been free. He had to pay the bill, but then didn't have the money for college books. His parents lost out because they had to pay his book fee.

Ahh...teens!

#34749 - 07/06/05 03:18 AM Re: DO NOT CALL
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
The parents lost out because they handled it wrong....No kid of mine would have ever gotten away with doing something like that and they both knew it. That is just ridiculous!! [Eek!]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved