The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 197 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#34660 - 09/07/06 02:28 AM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: Jane_Carroll]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Good advice. I use to watch all the court TV and Detective Shows, Law shows, etc...until I realized I was constantly looking over my shoulder and if the phone rang during one of these shows, you had to peel me off the ceiling.

And yes, being mindful of your surroundings is another great tip for us gals.

JJ

#34661 - 09/07/06 04:12 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: Sadie]
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Renee, On the tan...I've been in the habit of using a self tanner, year round. Started using one of the bronzing body moisturizers this past spring, and really like the results I'm seeing. Also, during the summer months, I'm outdoors, a great deal, especially enjoy the pool.

As for the fear of being alone, or going out alone, I don't have a problem there. Of course, I don't take what I'd call unnecessary risks, nor do I wander into areas common sense tells me to avoid. I'm also someone who pays attention to my surroundings. Not out of fear, but because I can hear my mama's advice, about 'keeping your wits about you'.

There's an ecclectic little neighborhood, Little Five Points, that I enjoy strolling around, in the summer, in the afternoons, or evenings. A great hodge-podge of street musicians, theaters, cafes, retro-clothing shops, wine bars. Yet, you would never find me strolling around there at midnight or later!

In Touch With Jeannine
Inspirational, informative, upbeat site for mature women.

Edited by Jeannine (09/07/06 04:14 PM)

[i]'It's never too late in Fiction-- or in Life to Revise.'
---Nancy Thayer

#34662 - 09/07/06 09:45 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: Jeannine]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
As far as safety goes, one does not have to be living in fear to use common sense. In the world we live in today which is also occupied by evil, being careul and safe are necessary. I am not afraid so to speak, but do at all times practice every safety measure I can to not become a statistic....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#34663 - 09/08/06 07:41 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: chatty lady]
Jane_Carroll Offline

I thought I should share this, after yesterday's post. I had been out yesterday evening and got home a little before 8. It was already getting dark and I put out the trash and came in and locked the doors.

About 8:30 I heard a vehicle outside, then footsteps on the porch and a knock on the door. It really startled me because I don't have much company and especially unexpected company after dark.

I called through the door asking who was there but no one answered. That concerned me and I hadn't yet cracked the door to see who was there when the phone started ringing.

That suspcious writer mind of mine thought, "Oh no, the neighbors are calling to warn me that there's an ax murderer on the porch!"

Of course the phone call was totally unrelated and I heard the vehicle leaving. Somewhere in all of that I happened to remember that I had ordered a book from Amazon and that UPS runs fairly late in my neighborhood.

Sure enough...there lay my book on the porch...by the door...no ax in sight!

Now if this forum can get my imagination that riled up...you see why I don't watch TV!

#34664 - 09/08/06 08:22 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Nothing like night time to scare us or bring out the imagination! I do that too.

Jane, I noticed that you are a bereavement coordinator. What is that, exactly?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#34665 - 09/08/06 08:24 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: Jane_Carroll]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Its always better to be safe rather than sorry, so be happy to be informed. Right here in Arizona they just caught a serial rapist/murderer...He is responsible for 11 rapes and 8 murders that they know of, if he is the right man...Thats a bit too close to home for me. And why couldn't that UPS man say who he was and what he had? He was being a dam jerk if you ask me...

#34666 - 09/09/06 12:32 AM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I just betcha that he put the book on the porch and scadalled. It was late and his supper was calling. I know my UPS man puts whatever it is on the porch, rings the doorbell and then leaves. He doesn't hang around. So I bet it wasn't a matter of being inconsiderate, just in a hurry......maybe?

Anyhoo...it STILL would have scared the beejeebee's out of me!

JJ

#34667 - 09/09/06 12:56 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: jawjaw]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Dianne,

I took training through RTS (resolve through sharing). It is designed for infant loss, including miscarriage and stillbirth. I did this when I was nurse manager of an OB unit.

Most of the principles apply to any one who is greiving. Like things that you say that aren't helpful at the time..."You're young, you can have other babies..." and how to facilitate someone who is going through the grief process.

It's not something that I do a lot of now, but I still have the skills. Working with infant loss is very difficult but to know that you have made a difference in someone's life during a very difficult time...that's very rewarding.

As a coordinator I was able to put a program in place at the hospital where I worked.

#34668 - 09/09/06 03:38 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I think you should start a thread on this topic so all of us will know what to say and what not to say when we're around people who have suffered a loss. It's really difficult to say the right thing and none of us want to make it worse.

Are you up for that Jane? You could put it in the Loss area.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#34669 - 09/09/06 10:10 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: Dianne]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I know when my husband passed, I was in my early 20's and had been married only five years, people talked about it as if I weren't there to hear them. No one knew what to say to me. I found myself comforting them....go figure. Now I just share my sorrow for them and say, I will hold them in my prayers. Short and sweet seems to be best. I remember it was for me.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved