The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#34630 - 08/28/06 08:55 AM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: Eagle Heart]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
JJ, you just expressed my own feelings; I hate that I don't have any close friend near where I live.
You may wonder why doesn't she have any close friends? Is it my three noses, and that I swing a whip around me while shopping…naaaw. I think I'm so normal that I may be abnormal. hmmm?
We used to have a wonderful circle of friends. That's when I sang in a gospel group. We also lived in a fantastic neighbourhood, where we weren't just neighbours, but really true friends. And then we moved.
I have no colleagues. We do have a few "couple" friendships. But it just seems everyone is so busy; including me. So, I know it's my fault as well.
I'm so very lucky and grateful that Hubby and I enjoy each others company and have the same hobbies; we are each other's best friend. But you can turn it and shake it and mix it whatever way you want…a Hubby is just not a girlfriend. I sometimes miss just a night out with a friend, seeing a "girlie" movie and getting giddy over a glass of wine afterwards. Well, it's too early for wine right now, but I definitely have found the next best thing in this forum. Salute'
PS. Wish we could meet for a cup of coffee, Dejavu!

Edited by Hannelore (08/28/06 08:58 AM)

#34631 - 08/28/06 09:32 AM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: Edelweiss]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

Yes, I think maybe that is one thing I miss out on these days - a cup of coffee with a girlfriend! I have three sisters living nearby so I do have opportunities sometimes to do things with other women (although you're right, everyone is so busy!), but I need to find and nourish some friendships with some NON-family people. Too many of my friendships have died out when good friends move away or circumstances make us unable to keep in touch much. Since I work at home, I don't have the interaction with co-workers that others might have.

Edited by dejavu (08/28/06 09:33 AM)

#34632 - 08/28/06 12:21 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: dejavu]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I met most of my friends when my children were young. Since we've moved, I haven't met all that many people here either but I do enjoy my alone time. I think that was part of the charm in moving for me. I'm finding this topic very interesting.
I wish we could all meet someplace for a cup of coffee together. Can't you just picture the look on the Starbuck's employee's faces after we all just happen to show up there at the same time!

#34633 - 08/28/06 12:34 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: TVC15]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
This twist in the thread is tugging at my own heart. When we lived in Nova Scotia, I had such a lovely network of friends - some were work-related, some were choir-related, some were church community, some were neighbours. I could go anywhere in the twin cities and run into people I knew. But even with all of those wonderful people in my life, I never knew how to just call somebody up for a cup of tea, or to go shopping, or to go for lunch with. I still have one best friend from those days, the only person besides my brother, that I've ever been able to call like that. Now that we've moved a few thousand miles away, that's no longer possible. When I was working, I had work friends that I went out with occasionally. But then with my breakdown, I lost touch with all of them too. So now it's just hubby and me...and like Hannelore says, he just ain't no girlfriend, is he!

I miss having someone in my life that I can just call for lunch or tea or even just a nice long chat. The person I have the best chats with now are my 5-year-old granddaughter. She's precious and I love those chats, but let's face it, there are some rants that you just can't have with a 5-year-old!

Anyway, I hear you Hannelore. I sure wish there was a way we could get together for lunch...

(Maya Angelou)

#34634 - 08/28/06 12:40 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: Eagle Heart]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

That's one thing I'd love to do - get together with a girlfriend for lunch.

Here's a question - for those of us who are either full-time homemakers, or work from home (or both!) - do you ever feel out-of-step with other women? I know so few who do not have full-time out-of-the-home jobs (other than online). The only women I know who are at home full-time (as opposed to being in a workplace) are either young mothers with babies or women who are past retirement age. I sometimes feel quite archaic, as though the full-time homemaker is a thing of the past.

#34635 - 08/28/06 12:59 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: dejavu]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
That's right TVC15. They'd have to move those teeny tables together, push the sofas into a circle, and close those doors, cause there won't be any room for other customers.
I'll have a carrot cake with my coffee and maybe go wild and have two. And then we will all look at each other and just start to laugh, because it will be so wonderful to see the other chatting sisters live, in person, breathing and drinking coffee.
I just know we'd all connect just like in the forum…

They should have clubs, Dejavu for women who work home alone. Once a month meeting in some cafe' and just have a gabbing session. Wow, that's actually a good idea.

#34636 - 08/28/06 04:44 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: Edelweiss]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
You could call it "In and Out" Clubs...you IN at home all the time, but OUT with the girls once a month. I like it! I agree, there should be more social girlfriend things for those who would like the contact and need it...and that would be everybody, me thinks! What a great idea...

Course then again, meeting here online IS a girlfriend social thing...but I DO understand what you are saying.

JJ

#34637 - 08/28/06 11:41 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I agree with the idea of choice. I am single, my children are grown and married and so I am choice personafied BUT let me say this, I had become so comfortable staying home, someone else did the shopping, the banking, and all the little things I had to do for myself for so long and I took advantage of that but believe me it was becoming unhealthy. I nearly forgot how to use the drive up banking machine, how to use my bank card to pay for groceries, how to pump gas even. I felt uneasy being out, shaky!
Theres a good saying: "Use it, or lose it." One can enjoy solitude but there is a vast difference between that and becoming seriously reclusive....

Edited by chatty lady (08/29/06 02:35 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#34638 - 08/29/06 08:09 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: chatty lady]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

I got talking with my sister today about this subject. She is very housebound because of health issues, but we both agreed that we're a lot more comfortable and happy staying home than we used to be.

And we both agreed we needed to get together for lunch more often, the way we did today. I think it gave us both a lift.

#34639 - 09/04/06 08:49 PM Re: Reclusiveness [Re: dejavu]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know I'm reclusive due to circumstances -- yet have tried to come out of my "shell" by joining a church and attending a divorce care Bible study, only to have that which I thought was to be held in private broadcast outside of the "circle" and chastised. Yet, I do continue to attend church for myself. I also lease a horse and sometimes attend trail rides via trailer to a state park(if given enough notice as the stable owner is not entirely honest), and if no notice is given then I simply ride the trails near the stable and keep my $$$ in me pocket. Guess I don't work well w/ others, thus have not cultivated friendships at Church or the stable, yet I attend both for myself, not to impress upon others. However, I do entertain myself with hobbies and do not mind eating alone at restaurants. Unfortunately, I've discovered that other single women are threatened by this, I just don't understand that. Maybe b/c I'm alone and not in a group setting like themselves and I feel if they want to gossip, guess its best to do it in a group with others that gossip as well -- that way I'll know them when I see them and will keep my distance!

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved