The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 116 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#32676 - 05/22/03 10:14 AM Re: Suggestions Please
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I can't even imagine how hard it must have been in the past for people living with mental illness. Isn't it great that we, as a society, have come to realize that mental illness is just another "illness" and deserves as much attention, research, and understanding as diabetes and cancer.

I tell people my son had schizophrenia and instead of turning away they ask about the illness -- truly caring to know more about it -- usually because someone in their family -- or someone they know -- has been recently diagnosed with a mental illness. It's not a "closet" illness anymore and that's the first step to finding a cure [Smile]

So I'm very glad this subject has had such positive response -- maybe knowing that it's okay to talk about mental illness will help those that are afraid of speaking out realize it's okay to go to your doctor, friends, family and they will get the help needed to have happy and fulfilled lives [Smile]

#32677 - 06/09/03 10:56 PM Re: Suggestions Please
Lauri FitzGerald Offline

Loc: Baltimore
I have read Kay Jamison also (all of her books!) and thought I would throw out another good one for consideration. Bipolar disorder is very thoughtfully explained in a readable format in Francis Mondimore's recent book "Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families." Dr. Jamison writes remarkably, but she also highlights many of the worse cases. Her own disorder, which she describes beautifully in one of her books, is almost frightening. (She does this to highlight the importance of diagnosis and treatment).

After some reflection, I also thought I'd also mention that more than 1% of the population is now believed to be bipolar and that acoording to S. Pratt almost 40% of all women will seek couseling for depression at some point of their lives. By the age of 40, almost one third of the women you met will either have had symptoms or sought treatment. SO, if you know someone has depressed mood, low energy, reduced interest in activities, low self-esteem, sleep or eating problems, etc. -- ENCOURAGE THEM TO GET HELP! Or if appropriate, GET THE HELP YOU NEED YOURSELF. If you don't feel strong enough to get help (which is common)-- Lean on your family or friends to help you get to the doctors.

Once you pull out of the depression or anxiety clouds and see the sun again, you wonder how they ever engulfed you. Our crazy female hormones take us places we often shouldn't go to. Men suffer depression too, but far less.

Anyone who needs counseling or help, I am able to give encouragement, web sites, places for help and of course PRAYERS.

Be healthy, mind, body and spirit! Lauri

#32678 - 06/12/03 04:42 AM Re: Suggestions Please
40something Offline

All the above is true. Treatment is the key. Talking therapy can be an important piece of the picture too. After the meds do their job, sometimes it's helpful to find a professional with whom you can discuss issues, ventilate, emote, and learn some wonderful things about yourself! It's work, but it has so many rewards if you invest in the process. I have sought therapy at several points in my life, and it was the best thing I ever did for myself! Insurance usually covers a portion, but if funds are an issue, there is a program in Baltimore called the Pro Bono Counseling Project. I am sure that many other locations would have similar programs. Find a therapist that you feel a good chemistry with, wherever you go.

#32679 - 07/03/03 07:34 AM Re: Suggestions Please
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Reading all of your posts gives me great hope. Even 20 years ago, you wouldn't find enough women brave enough to share their experiences. I applaud all of you!!!

I have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) It too is a chemical imbalance and I am being treated with Lexapor. As a matter of fact, I went to the dr today and he increased my meds from 10 mg a day to 20 mg a day because the episodes are coming too close together again. (2 or 3 a week now instead of 2 or 3 a month)

I take Ativan to control major episodes like full blown panic attacks.

GAD can nearly paralyze me at times. I know I have so much to do, but I can't seem to stop worrying about it all to focus on one thing and get it done. So, nothing gets done. I'll look at the clock and realize that 3 or 4 hours had gone by and all I did was sit in one spot and think about everything that needed to get done. It can be frightening to "wake up" from that kind of episode.

It also makes me hesitant to leave the house. I only go out when I absolutely have to.. and I never go out when I'm already having an episode. I can't drive or function during those times. I need my husband to drive.

Your insight gives me hope. It's so wonderful to know I'm not alone.

Peace & Hugs

#32680 - 07/18/03 06:06 PM Re: Suggestions Please
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, thanks for sharing. I personally know several women who suffer from the same thing. I am looking for a story for my book about this because I know it is something that women will be able to relate to.

I have written Denise Koch (a popular local newscaster) becasue I recall the Sun newspaper doing an article on her panic attacks and how she had to overcome them due to being on the news night in and night out! Quite an accomplishment, and something I continue to wonder is if that is all behind her, or if she has little episodes here and there.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard back from her so I am still looking for an honest story written from the heart from someone who is willing to share exactly what goes on and how to work through it.

Just offered a prayer that you are comfortable with where you are in the process right now. [Wink]

#32681 - 07/19/03 10:26 PM Re: Suggestions Please
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Thanks for the prayer, Dotsie. I'd be glad to prepare something for your book, just point me in the right direction.

I notice that as I get older, teh eipisodes become more frequent, or else I just can't tolerate them as well as I was able to when I was younger.

As a child I was an extreme introvert, and most people considered me very shy. I suppose I was on the surface.

My husband thinks I'm borderline agoraphobic. I find there are times when I just can't leave the house, no matter what. He is very supportive and can recognize my GAD symptoms sometimes even before I can. He helps me through the episodes. He looks for things that will distract me and stop me from focusing on the panic. One thing he does is have me read to him. It's a great way to transfer my focus. It works. I don't know what I'd do without him.

Hugs to all,

#32682 - 07/23/03 09:54 PM Re: Suggestions Please
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, You are so brave to share. FYI: I would never have guessed such an accomplished writer with so many hobbies to be an introvert. You sure don't seem shy in the forums!

I am grateful you have such a supportive hubby. I love hearing how spouses encourage and help one another. That's what it's all about!

I will be in touch by e-mail at some point about the story. [Wink]

#32683 - 07/29/03 08:52 PM Re: Suggestions Please
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Most of my hobbies are to keep me busy. It's also a form of self-therapy to "make" myself have to go outside the house.

Of course, most of my hobbies also keep me busy in the house too. I write, I'm a healer, I have an aromatherapy business, I also have my "window peeps" that I create, and now I'm doing beaded bracelets as well. All of these things I can do from my home.

My reiki table is set up in the great room and I prefer to have clients come to the house. However, I have gone to a client's home to perform a reiki session.

My husband encourages my various creative outlets. We've been extremely blessed that I don't have to "work" outside the home. My husband makes enough to support the both of us. He prefers that I stay home. But, he's not chauvenistic about it. He knows that my health requires a lot of downtime and it's better that I don't have a job outside the house to increase the stress.

Between the 2 of us, we have 4 businesses, not counting my husband's regular 8-5 job. :-)

I'm not sure if I'm much different than other introverts. [Confused] But, if I could find someone to do all my marketing and sales work, I'd be the happiest person on earth [Big Grin] Then, all I'd have to do is create. But, we live in the real world, (not the one on TV) and we have to create, market, sell, account, and everything in between.

Peace & Hugs.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved