The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 141 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#31018 - 09/09/05 10:07 PM LIGHT A CANDLE PROJECT FOR HURRICANE KATRINA
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I know there was a thread in the spiritual forums about people lighting candles in churches for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

I've broached an idea with Dotsie that could possible be spear-headed by BWS.

Just some background. I was in Washington, DC on Sept. 11. In the days following the attack, there was an eerie silence in the streets as people reeled from shock. A program was started for folks all across the country to put a candle in the window to show support for the victims. Many used the electrical candles.

There was such a comfort in seeing so many windows filled with those candles. It was a way our country could voice our prayers.

I beleive next Friday, Sept 16 has been designated as the national day of prayer by the president. Wouldn't it be great if BWS could start this project for all Americans to put a lighted candle in the window for the victims, survivors, and all who have rushed to the aid in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

We could let our voices be heard. We are a wide-spread network of strong women. Who knows the possibilities.

Dotsie suggested I start the thread and we'll see what happens and what the rest of you think.

This may already be happening and if so we could just support it and pass the word around. If not, we have an opportunity to show how BWS care.

We could do this!

#31019 - 09/10/05 11:31 AM Re: LIGHT A CANDLE PROJECT FOR HURRICANE KATRINA
writegirl1949 Offline

I just wanted to give this a little visibility ... in case anyone might be interested.

#31020 - 09/10/05 04:31 PM Re: LIGHT A CANDLE PROJECT FOR HURRICANE KATRINA
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I'm in Francine. Thank you for pulling it back up as I can't get here every day to read the posts like I used to. I can spread the word at work to ALL who donate for Katrina. They would be honored, I'm sure.
Your idea is a kind and loving one. God bless you.
Andria

#31021 - 09/10/05 06:35 PM Re: LIGHT A CANDLE PROJECT FOR HURRICANE KATRINA
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Count me in. Not only does it show support for the victims, it also makes us think of our boomer sisters too. What a great idea.

#31022 - 09/10/05 08:32 PM Re: LIGHT A CANDLE PROJECT FOR HURRICANE KATRINA
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm in. We did it for 9/11 too. This is so reminiscent of 9/11 and with the dates so close together.

#31023 - 09/11/05 12:51 AM Re: LIGHT A CANDLE PROJECT FOR HURRICANE KATRINA
writegirl1949 Offline

I'm so encouraged by your support. I'm hoping we can pass it on to all our contacts.

I'm flying back to Arizona tomorrow (from here in Germany) and so I'm hoping to spread the word around ... wish I had a "national" platform from which to announce it. Or that I knew someone famous. But ... with our network here, I'm praying others will pick up on it and continue to speard the word.

Thank you all ...

Blessings, Francine

#31024 - 09/11/05 03:32 AM Re: LIGHT A CANDLE PROJECT FOR HURRICANE KATRINA
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Been lighting candles at church but this is even better, I put a new candle in the living-room window today to light and posted a sign on each mailbox area in the park so hopefully it will be brighty lit every night for the hurricane survivors. There are almost 700 homes in this park...Try calling your local radio shows and suggesting this idea to them to pass on to their listeners.

#31025 - 09/11/05 03:59 PM Re: LIGHT A CANDLE PROJECT FOR HURRICANE KATRINA
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Count me in too.....I'll spread the word as well. I think it's a GREAT idea. I type my church's bulletin so will post it there as well.

#31026 - 09/11/05 05:28 PM Re: LIGHT A CANDLE PROJECT FOR HURRICANE KATRINA
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
How about adding a smaller candle to represent all the animals who died or are lost and suffering as well?

Great idea.

#31027 - 09/11/05 08:44 PM Re: LIGHT A CANDLE PROJECT FOR HURRICANE KATRINA
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Kelly,
I will do the same to put a small candle in the window for the little critters . I have seen on TV where they are picking some up and even dogs that are trying to get onto the helicopters . We need more help in there for those animals. Don't you agree. Who can we contact ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved