The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#24470 - 09/21/05 09:26 PM Re: A New Beginning at 50's
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Doodle50 - I also welcome you and I understand completely about wanting to start a whole new life somewhere else. Two years ago, my husband and I discovered a beautiful town in SW Colorado. We had both lived in NY all of our lives (he's 47, I'm 46). We had no family there, no job lined up. But we did it anyway. We;ve been here for 10 months and it has been an adjustment. He's finally starting a business, I'm finally making some friends, and even though our older sons complain about this place every day, we know we did the right thing. Right now, I'm sitting on my front deck with my laptop and the beautiful San Juan Mountains are right in front of me. The weather is gorgeous, the people are friendly, the air is clean...I always liked the beach, too, but with all these hurricanes, I'm glad we picked the mountains. They are unmovable, reassuring and inspiring. God bless you, whatever yo do! [Smile]

#24471 - 09/25/05 07:43 AM Re: A New Beginning at 50's
Dreamer Offline

Hi Doodle50,
I understanding about starting a new life, too. I was married for 34 years and lived in Colorado; got divorced and remarried and we decided to start over in South Carolina. We live in Seneca on the shores of Lake Keowee and yes, I was scared to death. But I have made more friends here in less than 2 years than I had in the big city. We can drive to Charleston (though we haven't yet - that's another story), can drive to the beach but don't live close enough to worry about the storms; we are close to Greenville and Atlanta where culture abounds - and there is so much to do right here. This is the place for singles like you as well as old married couples, and we all interact with each other, have fun - there is a fabulous Newcomers Club (look up Newcomers of the Foothills on the Internet) - I could go on and on. Just let me know if you want more information! I'm new to BWS also - the world is full of new beginnings! I look forward to 'chatting' with you! Dreamer

#24472 - 09/25/05 07:48 AM Re: A New Beginning at 50's
Dreamer Offline

P.S. I'm now sitting here laughing as I note how many of us, me included, misspelled your name! Sorry, Doddle50! You can call me Dreemer!

#24473 - 09/25/05 03:19 PM Re: A New Beginning at 50's
Junebug Offline

Loc: 10 yrs in OH now, 47 yrs in Tx
Doddle50,

HI! I am new here also. It is nice to meet you! The only way you will make a new, different, and exciting life for yourself is to do it yourself. You know no one else will do it for you. It is all up to you! Also, isn't the nerviousness part of the excitement of something as interesting and adventurous as this.

I do have some suggestions:
Write down how much cash you will have (apx.) when you DO move. If you can afford it, give yourself a deadline of X months to find a job. If you have not found one in this period of time, move. You will find something soon! Do not buy right away. Rent for a while, and consider locations, property taxes, resale value, just the size of house that is right for you now (if you do not need it for resale value, do not over size, you will be sorry, you gotta clean it LOL), facter in some for up keep and things going wrong i.e. plumbing and such. Compare that to condos, their monthly upkeep you have to pay (no mowing lawns and probably a pool and weigh room) against a house. If you need help, a financial planner and good real estate agent (hopefully both recommended by someone you know) in the area you move to would be a great help, just watch out and don't let him handle all your money. Be a hands on person! My advise from experience and what my husband says! [Cool] LOL In NO way is it being selfish! Good luck on you move! OOO sorry this was so long! LOL

#24474 - 09/25/05 08:18 PM Re: A New Beginning at 50's
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Doddle, if YOU aren't living YOUR life, who is?

I don't have enough room on this page to name the women who I've talked to that say, "Oh, I wish I could start over. But at my age?" Unless you want to perform a triple Lutz in the Olympics, what's age got to do with it?

Puleaseee...

Go for it gal. Translate that angst inside your gut to what it is...fear.

Louis E. Boone
Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have.

Break a leg...

JJ

#24475 - 09/26/05 06:09 PM Re: A New Beginning at 50's
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Doodle,

In your "dreams" what will you be doing in your new place. Specifics, please!

Danita

#24476 - 09/30/05 06:06 PM Re: A New Beginning at 50's
Doddle50 Offline

Loc: Ware Shoals, South Carolina
Dreamer - Thank you for such sound information and your experience with moving here to the upstate of South Carolina. I must say where you have chose to live is beautiful country and Greenville and Altanta do have so much to offer.
I have lived in Ware Shoals for 36 years and now would love to meet new people (women and men) as friends to see the world from a different view......the other side of the horizon has always allured me; even in my childhood years......and learning new things keep the boomer's mind afresh. Again, thanks. I have just found a new friend.

#24477 - 09/30/05 06:32 PM Re: A New Beginning at 50's
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Change can be scary. I work with battered women and usually the fear that overrides being abused is the fear of the unknown so I understand.

I'd make myself a deal...if you find the perfect job for yourself, it's a go. I do this all the time and it's amazing how it works out for my best. Charleston is just the bong! [Big Grin]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved