The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 110 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218046 - 10/29/12 02:04 PM Sandy...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Bracing for a hit from Hurricane Sandy. Don't know what to expect. People are a bit freaked out. I've prayed about it and now whatever happens, happens! The power might go out. The trees might break. Hope not. But just want U to know I've enjoyed this site so much, over the past nearly eight years now. BWS has added joy to my life. And I appreciate the experience in the extreme! Prayers and blessings to every boomer member on this precious site!!!! wink

#218052 - 10/29/12 07:27 PM Re: Sandy...? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Jabber we are praying for your safety. And of course, the safety of everyone else in Sandy's path, whether or not we personally know them. But especially for any other BWS forum members who are experiencing this storm.

I thank you for the kind words about how much the forum means to you, but I counting on God to keep you safe -- with lights on and no downed tree limbs.

If we don't see you here for a day or two, I'll figure you lost power. If that happens, we thank you for the alert as to what has likely happened, and we will eagerly await your return.

I know these storms are scarey. I've lived through a few bad ones myself. So be smart. And be safe!

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218056 - 10/29/12 08:05 PM Re: Sandy...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Marsha Roberts Offline

Loc: Tennessee
To Jabber & all the other Boomer Women and everyone who is in the path of the storm Sandy, we pray for your safety, may angels watch over you and may miracles happen all around you to keep you and yours safe through this storm. I have a son and daughter-in-law in the thick of it. This storm is so big that there aren't many who won't be effected by it in some way. God bless and keep you all safe.
Blog: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6037984.Marsha_Roberts/blog

#218057 - 10/29/12 08:17 PM Re: Sandy...? [Re: Marsha Roberts]
jabber Offline

Thank you Anne. Thank you Marsha. It's been a bit wild this afternoon and the storm hasn't even hit shore yet. Prayers appreciated. God bless each and every person in Sandy's path!!!

#218058 - 10/30/12 12:28 AM Re: Sandy...? [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Keeping everyone in Sandy's path in my thoughts. Here's hoping it won't be as bad as all the dire predictions say it will be.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#218064 - 10/30/12 01:28 PM Re: Sandy...? [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

We're fine. Power stayed on. Minimal tree damage. This morning it was evident the storm turned away from this area. It's relatively calm here, now; raining a bit. Wind speeds have slowed from what they were yesterday. Sending prayers for those caught in the middle of the devastation, asking The Holy Spirit to intercede and strengthen these souls and spirits. Just got back from walking the dogs and there's little damage in the county park: 1 tree toppled and a small amount of flooding throughout the region. Been very dry here and the ground seems to have soaked up the rainfall like a sponge. God bless all those who've lost loved ones, housing facilities, and other misfortune. Thank you, again, for the prayers!

#218065 - 10/30/12 05:55 PM Re: Sandy...? [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Jabber, we are so delighted to hear from you so quickly and to know that you had minimal involvement with the storm. What I saw on TV was terrible.

I am so happy that broken crane on 57th St in NYC has not fallen on anyone. And the amount of sand I saw on the streets in various reporters stories was amazing. I know sand storms -- wind blowing sand -- in the desert can be devastating and blinding. Not to mention landscape altering. Guess this was the same sort of thing, except with rain.

I hope for the fastest possible recovery for those involved. I saw on my local TV stations last night that power companies all over the Midwest were sending bucket trucks and workers into the area.

And I know a lot of local Red Cross workers are headed into the storm as well.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218084 - 11/01/12 01:29 PM Re: Sandy...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

My heart goes out to those taking the brunt of this hurricane.
It's so scary when the weathermen say a major event like that is headed straight at you. This is like the third time in recent years we've been told that. I pray constantly and really ramp up the prayers when hearing such predictions. Can't imagine what these darling people are suffering through!!!! "Holy Spirit help the homeless, the sick and suffering souls around the world!!!"

#218086 - 11/01/12 07:47 PM Re: Sandy...? [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

I agree that the Holy Spirit helps these people, Jabber. Sometimes the Lord uses ordinary people to do the work that is necessary.

I learned about a lot of these ordinary heroes while watching a big chunk of the Anderson Live show this morning. Deborah Norville was the guest host and she and Cooper had a whole bunch of people in the audience who had jumped in to help in the Sandy aftermath -- and now he was giving them some recognition.

There was a nurse who had helped evacuate the Neonatal Care unit of a hospital. She'd been photographed walking down a stairwell, carrying an 8 hour old baby who was on life support.

She was able to tell that she was "just doing her job." She talked about how all these babies had to be carried down something like 9 flights of dark stairwell.

She made sure to mention the people who helped who we didn't see: Those who were lining the stairs holding flashlights, those who kept the records of who was sent to which hospital, etc.

She said of course, that the entire hospital had to be evacuated, not just the NICU.

she also said she had no idea whether the mother ended up in the same hospital as the baby.

We also learned about some young guys who were driving around in some sort of decommissioned Army vehicle, which had been used in Iraq. Apparently they rescued over 100 people.

That story reminded me of one of the stories my son told of his experiences in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. He has talked about how he spent some time riding around in a swamp boat with a man who was just out riding around rescuing people.

Zach told me that he and this guy rescued an entire convent full of nuns. The nuns, of course, were totally grateful, and told Zach and this man that when the time comes that they die, God will take into account their rescue efforts in determining just where Zach and the swamp boat man will spend eternity!!

To me, these are angel stories.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218087 - 11/01/12 09:34 PM Re: Sandy...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Marsha Roberts Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Yes, Anne, I agree and thanks for sharing those "angel stories." I do believe in actual angels, but I also believe we can and should be angels for each other. The news almost always focuses on the negative. The old "if it bleeds, it leads" saying. But I'm convinced that most people spend their days doing good and will help others whenever the need arises. One of the reasons I've enjoyed being a member of NABBW so much is that the focus is on the positive and the good here. Where it should be. God bless,
Marsha
Blog: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6037984.Marsha_Roberts/blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved