The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#212119 - 04/15/11 12:19 AM Re: Girl Scouts [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I don't recall having to sew or knit anything to "fly up" from Brownies to Girl Scouts. Perhaps we did, I don't know.

It couldn't have been the same, however, as I have really never known how to knit. I can crochet and embroider, and I did a lot of macrame as a young girl. But somehow my left-handedness seemed to confuse me when it came to knitting, though I had a grandmother who valiantly tried to teach me.

As for sewing, great seamstress that I am, I am positive I never learned anything about sewing from Scouts.

We always seemed to be doing stupid projects like making "sit-upons," which were mats made of oilcloth that we may have stuffed with old newspapers... Did anyone else have to make a "sit upon?"

As I said, I got kicked out of Scouts because I argued with the leader, and I don't recall the specifics of that - have never heard of anyone else getting kicked out until this discussion.

Edited by Anne Holmes (04/15/11 12:20 AM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212120 - 04/15/11 12:41 AM Re: Girl Scouts [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I was in the Brownies for 4 years, but I was never a Girl Scout because I went into the 4-H Club wholeheartedly. Living in the country we liked their options. I was into cooking even then and won several blue ribbons over the years, one for Stewed prunes, one for chocolate-coconut marble cske, one for chicken chow-mein. I also entered and won a ribbon for sewing matching dresses, one for me and one for my mother. We were in the County Fair Fashion Show. The last one I won was for raising a litter of kittens after I had got the pregnant cat as an assignment. All my kittens, 7 in all, were adopted into good homes...
The Brownies and Girl Scout organizations are woncderful but the 4-H takes lifes lessone a bit further, and seem more well rounded to many ...

This is so funny because just a couple days agto my DIL said Jason my Marine grandson in Japan asked her to send him a care package................Guess what he wanted???

Girl Scout cookies!!! He has several favorites. So now she is trying to find some. Usually in March they sell here but haven';t seen a one this year.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#212143 - 04/15/11 05:04 AM Re: Girl Scouts [Re: chatty lady]
Sandy N. Offline

Loc: Washington State
Sounds like different people had different scouting experiences. I'm guessing they varied because of the specific leaders involved. How terrible that the groups all weren't as much fun as mine! I attended a reunion with a half dozen women from that scout troop, back in December of 2010. The leader was even there - 90 years old! We had a great time.
I was lucky, wasn't I? Was it a combination of the time (1950s) and the place (Dallas, Texas suburb)? Do such experiences still happen today? I sure hope so.

#212148 - 04/15/11 01:39 PM Re: Girl Scouts [Re: Sandy N.]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I was in Brownies and then 4-H. My adoptive sister and I took dairy cattle; daddy loved watching us show his prize-winning cattle. Every animal won blue ribbons; some won Grand Championship and Showmanship awards. My ex-husband was an
Eagle Scout and an alter boy. My current husband is a prince, LOL.....

#212152 - 04/15/11 05:01 PM Re: Girl Scouts [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Jabber, sounds like you deserve your prince!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212153 - 04/15/11 05:30 PM Re: Girl Scouts [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Thanks Anne. He is a kind, gentle human being. Reminds me of
my adoptive dad and even looks like him, somewhat. Sweet, soft
spoken men are a Godsend.

#212156 - 04/15/11 08:36 PM Re: Girl Scouts [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

I agree! Too many of us - including me with hubby #1-- are/were more attracted to the "bad boy" type. Guess it's our innate need to nurture...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212159 - 04/16/11 12:32 AM Re: Girl Scouts [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well some say; third times the charm! But not in my case my first and second husbands were both wonderful human beings but being widowed twice and having tried for a third good husband I got a LEMON, a really sour lemon too!

#212168 - 04/16/11 01:05 PM Re: Girl Scouts [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Sorry Chatty. IMO longterm relationships are the hardest things; especially when two people from different backgrounds try living together. The smallest darn stuff aggravates a human, things that don't mean squat bug the heck of you. And even friendships sometimes are comparable to walking on hot coals. We're all put together with such complexity, it's a wonder any of us can withstand lifelong sociability.

#212583 - 05/04/11 08:43 PM Re: Girl Scouts [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Ain't that the truth????

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved