The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 80 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#199452 - 02/11/10 01:56 AM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
That is so sad and must be hard on Ross, seeing his father in this state. Did he and hs dad have a good father/son relationship?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#199586 - 02/13/10 09:47 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Update:

Ross's dad had another fall while at the nursing home dor rehab on his hip. They had him sitting at the nurses station in a wheel chair becasue he kept getting out of bed. He has poor balance so they don't want him walking aroudn on his own. Believe it or not, he got up while sitting at the nurses station and fell falt on his face before anyone could catch him. We don't fault them. I t happened so quickly, but he has stitches all across his right eyebrow, a black eye, and a crooked, but not broken nose. God help him!

I know I shared somewhere in here that they won't restrain you unless you're a psychiatric patient, but I think ALzheimer's patients should be considered such.

So here he is with another set back...

The saga continues.

How are all the other parents doing here?

#199592 - 02/13/10 11:20 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

In my studies I've come to understand that Alzheimers is a mental disorder. So why shouldn't that be considered a psychiatric problem and the patient be treated as such???

#199595 - 02/14/10 02:44 AM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: chatty lady]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Dotsie I feel so sorry for all that you and your husband and FIL are going through....keeping you all in my prayers...Alzheimers disease is so sad..I hope they find the cure they are hoping for before we Boomers get to that awful age frown

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#199686 - 02/15/10 08:31 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, I'm with you, but the state legislatures aren't. Had a meeting this morning for his care going forward. Again, we learned that he can't be restrained, though some families use medicine to restrain their loved ones. Basically you drug them so they can't even think about getting up. We aren't doing that!

We learned this morning that he needs 24/7 care to return to his Alzheimer's care facility. He is being discharged from the rehab nursing home Thursday so you can guess waht we're doing, scrambling to find good care.

Blondi, They better be working double time because one in seven boomers are expected to get this wicked disease. There won't be enough facilities, or people to care for us. This is a very frightening thought.

Live for today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring!

#199687 - 02/15/10 08:32 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh, doesn't it kill you that you can use medicine, but not a teeny soft belt around the waist and attached to the bed to keep them in place? Learn something new every single day.

#199691 - 02/15/10 09:50 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Dotsie]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Oh Dotsie, I think both is just terrible; drugging the patient and/or keeping him tied down. I pray none of us will ever be in such a situation. I would rather die young.

#199697 - 02/16/10 02:10 AM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: Edelweiss3]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Maybe if enough of us, I would help, write to our legislatures complaining about this stupid exception they might change it. These politicians are all so scared for their jobs now they are doing everything they can to apease their constituants, WE THE PEOPLE!!

#199711 - 02/16/10 03:41 PM Re: catching up with our parents [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie...I'm sorry for just now reading this tread...how sad for your FIL and how hard it must be on the two of you watching this man struggle with this horrible illness. I wish there was something more the facilities would do. To me, if a man falls out of a wheel chair and does this type of damage to himself they would keep him restrained somehow...drugs just makes it easier for the caregivers and makes the patient zombies. What kind of quality of life is that? It's so sad and until the laws are changed you're fighting an uphill battle. I think we boomers are in for a lot of neglect when we reach this stage if something is changed.
Sending you hugs, Dotsie and praying everyday for your FIL and family.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved