The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 15 of 37 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 36 37 >
Topic Options
#195444 - 12/08/09 09:15 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dianne]
LTWayfaringWords Offline

Loc: Missouri, recently moved from ...
I just started reading Tracy Kidder's "Strength in What Remains." I've read only two chapters but it is bound to be a great book. The first sentence in the first chapter -- I've been there!

I also am reading "Say You're One of Them" by Uwem Akpan. It's an Oprah Book Club selection.I am acquainted with much of what he wrote about in the first chapter, but it's a hard book to read.

LT Wayfaring Wordsmith
http://www.grandmaslettersfromafrica.blogspot.com

#195455 - 12/08/09 10:13 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dianne]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Dots, they are full of knowledge. She uses Chinese customs and weaves a story around them. I love all of her writings.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#195456 - 12/08/09 10:16 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: LTWayfaringWords]
Mountain Ash Offline

Today in the library in my nearby town I saw a new notice.
It read...
Ask your Doctor for a presciption if you have a mental/physical or emotional problem.Then trained staff will source a self help book for you.
I will watch with interest and someday soon ask the librarian how this came about.
there are several good self help books along side biographies..and it is a good approach to well being.

#195495 - 12/09/09 06:26 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Mountain Ash]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
MA, that's sounds kind of weird to me...

I'm reading Vaccine.A by Gary Matsumoto... my "mad meter" has registered 'tilt' several times! I'm about 1/2 way through.

Also reading The Gift of Fear by DeBecker... another good read.

Waiting on The Help from our library... I'm #17 in line for one of two copies they have in the system.

Finished The Wednesday Letters... if you haven't read it, don't ... a waste of time, and also just finished Angel Medicine by Virtue --- REALLY enjoyed this one, maybe because most of my reading time was while with my sister during her long hospital stay... ordered a couple more of hers.

Next in my stack is The Spiral Staircase: My Climb Out of Darkness by Armstrong.

And, currently working my way through Robin Rice's online book, Venus for a Day (which you can read, even download, for free: http://www.venusforaday.com/). Reading online is very hard for me... hope to finish this one - sometime, someway.

#195499 - 12/09/09 07:56 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: gims]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm reading: How to write a resume for a middle aged man. Boring. How to get a middle aged man a job. Boring. How to keep a middle aged man motivated enough to get a job. Boring.

Ok, I'll be a good sport. I'm reading The Shack second time around.

#195517 - 12/09/09 01:48 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mountain Ash Offline

Gims
you say

New...curiosity..worthy of sharing here..but weird ..naw.

#195521 - 12/09/09 03:01 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Mountain Ash]
gims Offline

Originally Posted By: Mountain Ash
Gims
you say

New...curiosity..worthy of sharing here..but weird ..naw.

MA,
I'm picturing walking up to the reference desk in my library, showing them the prescription from my doctor (or even just telling them about it) and them (being the reference librarian for that day), in turn, 'choosing' a book for me. If the prescription is for a particular book, that's just as strange.
It's not everyday that I'd want my librarian (of any standing) to know what my emotional bent is.
Makes me think of Google getting the settlement to put 'orphan' books online... and how far that could go... they'd have a way to monitor readers' choices.
My library doesn't currently keep a history of what its customers read (sometimes I wish they did, so I could have a personal printout for referrels and notes). I can see how a privacy infringement could arise if they did, tho, so I'm really thankful that they don't. I guess I'm throwing that element in while thinking about what you posted. But then, maybe I'm reading what you posted wrong. As I reread it, it still seems weird to me, and yes, curious, too. crazy
... to add, most worthy of sharing here or anywhere - love your sharing!

#195524 - 12/09/09 03:26 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: gims]
Mountain Ash Offline

i respect your opinion...
if you read my post you will see that I did not share an opinion just a fact.That such notice existed.

What I see is that the asking the medic for the presciption may be the first time an issue is voiced.. and it is a respected view that the last remark as a patient has the hand on the handle of the door when exiting is often why they came to seek help in the first place.
It need not be emotional help..just practical advice I can think of several common ailments when a diagnosis has been made and the shared wisdom of others can suffice.

#195529 - 12/09/09 03:45 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Princess, were you on the call about getting jobs at midlife?

Please visit www.wiserworker.con. I think it's a great resource. Look for their Resource Guide.

#195533 - 12/09/09 04:13 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dotsie]
gims Offline

... realized you were sharing a fact (vs. an opinion)... forgive me if I came across sounding as if it were otherwise...
and, I suppose the words 'mental' and 'emotional' in the library sign were what made my 'weird' alarm go off... not toward you, but toward the sign at the library... smile

Page 15 of 37 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 36 37 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved