The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 182 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#195029 - 12/02/09 01:31 PM Oy! Wadda a Day!
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
What a day we had yesterday!

We picked our 3 yr. old granddaughter up from kindergarten and took her to the Deutsche Museum in Muenich. It’s the largest technology museum in Europe. They have a wing for 3-5 yr. olds. Sooo we took off with our happy little pumpiamkin. She loved the museum, racing around the helicopters and tugboats. When we discovered a sign; To the Salt Mine. Okay, we were game. We had to slide several stories down on potatoe sacks into a fake salt mine. It was cold and spooky, and our little “ A” didn’t like it at all.

Fine, we set off to look for the stairs. It was a labyrinth of passages and dead ends, just like a real salt mine, I guess. AND we were the only ones down there! I already saw us camping overnight, between salt boulders and sweaty looking human sized dolls hammering away at the walls. Finally we discovered emergency escape stairs. “A” clutched on to her grandfather’s neck as he carried her up. He took two stairs at a time, when boom; … he slipped and fell crashing down the stairs with little “A” in his arms. He managed to cup her head in his hands, to protect her. So here we were in the dungeon of this gigantic monstrous museum, not a person around, gathering ourselves up in an empty stair well!……”A” was howling from the shock, ( the echo was deafening) and Opa, her grandfather was licking his cut up hands from the fall.

I carried “A” the rest of the way up. Finally we reached the last door, which led us smack in the middle of the aviation hall. A private ritzy bank meeting was being held, with champaigne and caviar. “A” was still howling, not from pain; - she was simply enjoying the echo! I was panting from schlepping her up all those flights of stairs, and Hubby was blood smeared along the front of his shirt and sleeves. I’m sure we were a sight for soar eyes.

Lol lol….anyhoooo we escaped the room, with bowed heads, and headed for the restaurant. They even stopped their speech, till we passed through. Honestly I felt about 50 pairs of eyes drilling into our backs. We bought “A” a big crunchy twister ice-cream. Hubby got a beer, and I ordered a glass of Rose’ wine. Oh boy…did that do the nerves good.

“A” didn’t want to go back home. She told her mommy that it’s sooo much fun with Oma and Opa, and that we were in a sugar cave, ( she got sugar and salt mixed up) and Opa fell down on top of her, and Opa was bleeding, and Oma was all excited, and they have a big echo there!!!!! It’s sooo much fun with Oma and Opa! ……Ya…right! sick sick

#195032 - 12/02/09 02:10 PM Re: Oy! Wadda a Day! [Re: Edelweiss3]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
OMG EW! LOL! That was so funny to read. What a day for you - definitely one you'll remember. I could just see the both of you. What we do for our lovely grandchildren. So little "A" didn't want to go home - cute, cute!!! Thanks for sharing girl!
www.tidedancer.com

#195033 - 12/02/09 02:17 PM Re: Oy! Wadda a Day! [Re: Sandpiper]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Wow, what a day!! Is Opa sore today from the fall?

I think you should have walked into that bank meeting with your heads held high, handed "A" to Opa, and then passed out your real estate business cards to all the attendees. smile They would have really been in shock!

Edited by Dancing Dolphin (12/02/09 02:17 PM)

#195043 - 12/02/09 08:40 PM Re: Oy! Wadda a Day! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DD, always thinking business. You go girl. Love it.

EW, you're a great writer. I was right in the thick of things with you. GLad there weren't any broken bones!

#195047 - 12/02/09 09:05 PM Re: Oy! Wadda a Day! [Re: Dotsie]
Edelweiss3 Offline

No broken bones, Dotsie. Hubby and our granddaughter were lucky. I think if I had fallen like that, I would have remained there till the next tourist group was lead through. And then I would have pretended I was one of the life size dolls, licking the salt off the floor. Good grief.

DD, if I had handed those fancy schmancy bank people my card, the way I was sweating and panting...and I think my eyes were bugging out; they would have had me committed....HAAAAHAAAA. Sandpiper, you should have been there. I’m sure it would have been even funnier to watch. Hubby and I have been laughing about the whole scene several times today.

#195054 - 12/03/09 12:09 AM Re: Oy! Wadda a Day! [Re: Edelweiss3]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You poor dear and hubby too. I am so glad he didn't really hurt himself to the point of anything getting broken. I am appauled that the Museum would allow tourists to wander hither and yawn with no attendants in sight, especially when it could be dangerous. When married to Chet,#2, we visited the Onandagga Caverns in Missouri, where the Jesse James hideout was. It is a laberent of caves, rivers, and stalagmites, and stalagtites, etc. It is so dark in several places you literally cannot see your hand even with fingers touching your nose, BUT you are not allowed to enter unless with three, not even one, but three guides. I started a book which I titled "Mystery of the Caverns," They go in but never come out...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#195071 - 12/03/09 10:19 AM Re: Oy! Wadda a Day! [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Wooooeeee! Chatty you started a book!!!! I bet it will be a humdinger!

We were surprised too that nobody else was down there. That made the whole thing really creepy.
Infact, I was starting to get claustrophobic.

#195077 - 12/03/09 11:59 AM Re: Oy! Wadda a Day! [Re: Edelweiss3]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Deep down inside the Onandaga Caverns they live, blind and in total darkness. Yet if you stray from the group or wander too far off the beaten path they can find you and you will vanish never be seen again...

That was the beginning of the book way back when but I haven't picked it up again in years. Maybe I'll see if I can finish it after the edit I am doing is completed and returned to the writer...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#195109 - 12/04/09 12:44 AM Re: Oy! Wadda a Day! [Re: chatty lady]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Sounds like it would be a great book Chatty. Full of mystery, and mahem. Hope you pick it up again. I'm sure I couldn't do those caverns as I am definitely claustrophobic.
www.tidedancer.com

#195271 - 12/07/09 02:54 AM Re: Oy! Wadda a Day! [Re: Sandpiper]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Edelweiss...you paint such a vivid picture with your words...what a wonderful, exciting and funny story. Scary for Opa falling..I bet that was freightening and thankfully no broken bones at this age. Next time I want to go with you...it sounds like fun (aside from the falling). I'm glad little A had a wonderful time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved