The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#193628 - 11/10/09 04:11 PM Your Resident Veteran/Don't Miss This!!
Alice Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi, tomorow is Veteran's Day; I will be wearing my uniform to work, and perhaps going to Applebee's for lunch (we get to eat free/veterans).

There is documentary on PBS regarding (my great home State of Maine): Film about the Troop Greeters at the Bangor airport. They are 3 seniors who are on call 24/7 and have helped to greet over 900,000 soldiers in transit to or from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The film has won multiple awards both national and internationally and spectaculr reviews around the globe.

"Hardened soldiers' eyes mist over at the receiption in Bangor; yours will too in this sweet little film."

Love from Sargeant Borgen (E-5) at age 19, Women's Army Corps (WAC) from 1964-1967....discharged on my 21st birthday from Oakland, California

My peeps!

#193629 - 11/10/09 05:28 PM Re: Your Resident Veteran/Don't Miss This!! [Re: Alice]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
From one veteran to another, Alice. Happy Veterans Day to you and thank you for serving our great country!!! God bless you, darlin'.

#193635 - 11/10/09 06:06 PM Re: Your Resident Veteran/Don't Miss This!! [Re: Dee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Wishing all of you peace, love and gratitude on Veteran's Day. Thanks for serving our great USA!

#193638 - 11/10/09 06:12 PM Re: Your Resident Veteran/Don't Miss This!! [Re: Dotsie]
Alice Offline

(Thank you Dotsie!)

Dee (darlin'), when and where did you serve? Army, Navy, etc.?

I was stationed at the Presidio of San Francisco (now a National Park, it just doesn't seem right!!)

God Bless you too, sweetie!

Hugs and 're up?!

#193642 - 11/10/09 06:32 PM Re: Your Resident Veteran/Don't Miss This!! [Re: Alice]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Happy Veterans Day to you Alice and Dee. Were'nt Mustang and Vicky M Taylor also in the Armed Forces?

Alice, are you going to be in any parade this year?

#193664 - 11/10/09 09:19 PM Re: Your Resident Veteran/Don't Miss This!! [Re: Lola]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Hip, hip, hoorah for our resident veterans and please accept our deep appreciation for your service to your country. BRAVO!!!

I can almost picture Alice marching in full dress uniform and high heels...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#193665 - 11/10/09 09:24 PM Re: Your Resident Veteran/Don't Miss This!! [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

I was in the Air Force...stationed at Altus AFB, Oklahoma, Travis AFB, California, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom, RAF Upper Heyford, United Kingdom I reached the rank of E-6 (SSgt) and sometimes wish I'd stayed in but I got out and went civil service...continued working with the military doing the same job but in a civilian capacity.

Do our female veterans know about the Women's Memorial in Washington D.C.? I joined last year...they put a photo of you and a small story about your fondest memory while in the service...your medals, where you were stationed, time in service, etc. If you're a veteran and you haven't joined, by all means do so...it will give your family and friends down the line a chance to look you up in the Women's memorial when they visit.
you can go to: www.womensmemorial.org
www.womensmemorialstore.com
hq@womensmemorial.org

#193667 - 11/10/09 09:34 PM Re: Your Resident Veteran/Don't Miss This!! [Re: Dee]
Alice Offline

Hey, Dee: I went to the Dedication of the Women's Memorial; it was the most powerful experience of my life....I think it is my favorite chapter in my memoir. My fondest memory was of a woman Colonel; she took me under her wing; I think I was the child she never had (she was 53 and I 18)....she retired and promised to come back and we would visit. She died while away of a stroke; I sobbed for a year....Oh, on to my fondest memory. It was raining one day, and I had no raincoat....she took the eagles from her coat and simply handed it to me.

(For you civilians, this is just not done.....not supposed to fraternize.....officers and non-commissioned officers...of which I was)....that told me everything I needed to know about her.

I finally got her information from the army (took forever, as you know), and what I found out about her staggered me.

She had 8 medals (1 for the Berlin airlift), she was studying for her PHD in 1942.....she was in charge of Procurement (decided what the women would wear), etc, etc.....

I went to the Presidio of San Francisco Cemetery 40 years later. To my shock and amazement, I broke down sobbing; I guess i didn't realize what an impact she had on me.

Next to her grave, was her husband's (she didn't get married until she was in her 40's), and next to her husband's name it said: "HUSBAND of Lt. Colonel Helen Hart Corthay." I'd never seen a grave stone like that before. I left a yellow rose.

Hugs, Alice (Sargeant Borgen)

#193668 - 11/10/09 09:36 PM Re: Your Resident Veteran/Don't Miss This!! [Re: Alice]
Alice Offline

I will be marching (high heels and all) in the Christmas parade; I have become something of a legend (because of the high heels)....LOL, it is so much fun to see people's faces and then they point and holler at me.

#193714 - 11/11/09 12:58 AM Re: Your Resident Veteran/Don't Miss This!! [Re: Alice]
Dee Offline

Alice...that is the most heartwarming story...I'm so glad you shared it with us...and you're right...officers did not mix with enlisted...it's wonderful that you and she became friends...she sounds like a wonderful woman. I'm sure she's looking down from heaven and is very proud of you. I'll be thinking of you in your parage...bless you heart.
We veterans ought to post some photos of us in our military days...I have a few...that would be so cool...wanna do that?
I'll have to scan some but will see if Edelweiss would be kind enough to post them for me. I'd love to see you in your military days AND in the parade tomorrow.
Take care Alice and have a wonderful Veterans day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved