The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#192360 - 10/23/09 03:03 PM Re: British Television [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

Morse and Midsommer Murders..and Agatha Christie's Miss Marple.
the funniest comedy for me was Father Ted which touched my funny bone.
I like Coast..where our coastline is shown bit by bit..and any history programme.
Many evenings our TV is never turned on.

#192361 - 10/23/09 03:11 PM Re: British Television [Re: Mountain Ash]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Oh I've seen every episode of Midsommer Murders and Miss Marple. I would watch them over and over if I had the sets. LOVE THEM!

What about Creatures Great and Small? Is that any good? I've never rented it.

I have rented the Duchess of Duke (I think?) Street and really enjoyed that series.

How could we not mention Poirot? I loveeeee those! I've seen them all.

#192363 - 10/23/09 03:25 PM Re: British Television [Re: jawjaw]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By: jawjaw
I loved Blazin' Saddles. I thought it was hilarious.

Josie, which Sherlock Holmes do you like? Which actor, I mean. I love those. They used to come on every Sunday and I would prepare for them and throw everybody out of the house so I could have my Sunday British Mystery day. Jeremy Brett was my favorite.

If you haven't seen, "Keeping Mum," be sure and get it. I laughed so much at this movie and have rented it on more than one occasion. Here is a link to read about it. To me, it is hilarious!

Keeping Mum

The JEKYL ... is it a documentary?

Oh and Murder She Wrote....I could watch that over and over and over and over....I love it!

The pairing of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce was perfection imo. I love their Holmes/Watson interaction together.....

I think JEKYL was a British miniseries. Although I am not familiar with it, here is the Amazon description:

Amazon.com
One of the most novel interpretations of Robert Louis Stevenson's classic "Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde," this BBC TV mini-series offers a terrific performance from James Nesbitt as Tom Jackman, a modern-day descendant of Stevenson's scientist hero who discovers that he shares his ancestor's penchant for transforming into a more animalistic alter ego. While Mr. Hyde (also played by Nesbitt) is physically less of the monster than previously portrayed in movie adaptations (his actions speak a different story), he's also cunning, id-driven version of Jackman, and soon discovers that he's the target of a shadowy organization out to discover the secret behind the transformation for its own nefarious purposes. Part Hammer-style horror-thriller, part X-Files conspiracy fiction, and part solid drama (the relationship between Jackman/Hyde and his wife, played by Gina Bellman, gives the fantastic storylines a basis in reality, though his flirtations with sultry assistant Michelle Ryan of Bionic Woman tip more towards heavy-breathing pulp), Jekyll is terrific fun from executive producer Stephen Moffat (Coupling, Doctor Who), who understands how to deliver engaging science fiction for a wide audience. The two-DVD set includes uncut versions of all six episodes, commentaries by Moffat and members of the cast and crew (including Bellman and Moffat's wife and co-executive producer, writer Beryl Vertue), as well as two featurettes, including a 45-minute look at the making of the series. -- Paul Gaita

Product Description
Part conspiracy thriller, part comic horror, Steven Moffat's extraordinary retelling of this Robert Louis Stevenson classic takes the ultimate tale of inner conflict to unforgettable new heights. It is 2007 and there's a new Dr. Jekyll with an old problem - Mr. Hyde. But the pair have a deal - a body share - and an impossible life is somehow lived. With all the resources of modern technology, and the best surveillance hardware, Jekyll is determined to keep his dangerous alter ego in check by doing a deal with his own devil. What neither of them know is that an ancient organization with limitless wealth and power is monitoring their every move, and a plan over a century in the making is coming to fruition. The return of Dr Jekyll is no accident...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QXDEH2?tag=imdb-adbox

Regarding "Keeping Mum," I've never seen it but it gets rave reviews for acting and being truly funny. Maybe I can rent a couple episodes from Blockbuster or the local library.....

#192366 - 10/23/09 03:39 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
It's not an episode, Keeping Mum, it is a movie. And it does have some greats in there. Patrick Swayze, god love him, Maggie Smith, who is absolutely tops in my book, and Mr. Bean, whatever his name is...I don't particularly care for him, but he is excellent in this movie.

Thanks for the info on the Jekyl thing.

#192630 - 10/26/09 06:57 PM Re: British Television [Re: jawjaw]
Josie Offline

Thanks for the clarification, jawjaw. My husband is a real fan of Rowan Atkinson, so I should put it on my list of things to rent for us. Thanks again for the recommendation.

#193643 - 11/10/09 06:44 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

To Lola: Today I read your post about being home with the sniffles and having the chance to watch "black and white shows" on the telly. Is there one station devoted exclusively to classic black and white movies or old TV shows?

I'd love to hear more about some of the TV stations you have and the type of programming which airs.

Do you have a link to a "TV Guide" which describes what is on TV each day?

For TV programming here in the States, check out www.tvguide.com

PS: Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

#193689 - 11/10/09 10:43 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Josie, you can check out British TV schedule on www.tvguide.co.uk

Five usually have the b/w films in the afternoons but, they did not have anything worth watching today so I caught up with two documentaries which were shown on BBC previously by way of BBCiPlayer. I hook up my computer to my TV so I get to watch the shows on wide screen.

www.bbc.co.uk

One of the documentaries I watched was "Digging Up the Dead" by former Minister Michael Portillo. It's about Spain's exhumation of those killed during the Franco wars.

The other was "History of Christianity - Part 1".

Then, I had a loooong nap and woke up with a stuffy nose and a headcold! I'm slightly feverish but, no joint pains anymore. Thanks for the wishes.

Edited by Lola (11/10/09 10:46 PM)

#193727 - 11/11/09 05:16 PM Re: British Television [Re: Lola]
Josie Offline

I'm happy to hear the joint pains are gone. Sounds like full recovery is almost here, thank God.

I was so excited reading the variety of programming you have where you live. Thank you for the links! When my husband lived in the U.K. back in the eighties, he said the programming seemed a bit limited, but in some ways was far more sophisticated than USA TV.

He LOVES the show "Top Gear" and on weekends he watches several episodes at a time. After work, he picks up BBC news on his car satellite radio, which he says has so much more extensive coverage of world affairs than what we get over here. (American news loves to talk about itself a lot. lol)

I checked out our BBC TV station tonight and at 8pm a show called "Ramsey Revisited" is airing an episode about "The Glass House Restaurant." Is this a restaurant review show? If so, I'd LOVE to see what different foods are served in restaurants over there. (I love travel shows to "see inside" shops, houses, restaurants, etc.)

At 9pm over here, "Mary Queen of Shops" will air on BBC America. I suspect that is about retail stores. hahaha

Then of course at 10pm will come the BBC World News America, which our US news people could take a lesson from in terms of accuracy and quality in my opinion.

#193757 - 11/11/09 09:30 PM Re: British Television [Re: Josie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
"Ramsey Revisited" is a show by Gordon Ramsey, a celeb chef over here...a good one. The show is a sequel to a previous one where he dropped in on restaurants to troubleshoot management and food service then, helps turn the business around. So, "...Revisited" would be after a period to check out whether these venues are still up to par. Gordon Ramsey swears a loooooot!!!

Yep. The UK used to have only four TV channels at one time. The BBC (no commercials) and two other independent stations. The BBC is a hardhitter and has no choice but to deliver because the public will hold them accountable. BBC funding is greatly appropriated from our TV Licence fees.

#193802 - 11/12/09 08:35 PM Re: British Television [Re: Lola]
Josie Offline

Thanks for the heads up on Gordon Ramsey ....Tonight the BBC station will air a show on "Super Botox Me," obviously about cosmetic surgery, to be followed by a debut show examining mammals. I think unlike us, other mammals prefer to age naturally and skip the narcissism. lol

I'll probably end up watching the b&w movie classic, "Dial M for Murder." Alfred Hitchcock directed this 1954 version of the Broadway hit about a tennis pro (Ray Milland) who plots to kill his wife.(Grace Kelly)

TV and movies have come a long way in technical advancement, but some of the old movie classics, like those of Hitchcock, simply cannot be beat in my opinion.

I don't know if you remember actor James Mason, but he is one of my favorite actors, along with Gregory Peck, Anthony Hopkins and James Stewart. Some of the very best are now long gone. Thank God their movies are still with us.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved