The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 77 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#186821 - 07/20/09 11:53 AM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: Mountain Ash]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I make time for myself. It's important. I'm no good to others if I don't take care of myself. Sometimes I don't get as much "me" time as I would like in any given day, but I try to make up for it later on. If there's too much on my schedule today for me to have any time to either do the things I enjoy or just be, then I try to take a little extra time tomorrow. I know about having to care for others. My husband is a quadraplegic. My mother is 87 and lives 30 minutes away. I have two dogs that think I'm Mom.
A good friend of mine recently lost her quadraplegic husband after 20+ years of marriage. She did EVERYTHING for him.........got him up,showered, dressed, cut up his food, put him into his wheelchair, combed his hair, you name it. They had a very loving relationship, it was obvious they adored each other, but now he's gone, and the adjustment she is going thru to the change in her life is major. She devoted so much of her time to his wants and needs that she doesn't know how to put herself first anymore. She told me the other day that it felt so strange to be able to get up, showered, dressed and out of the house in 45 minutes. It's hard enough to deal with the loss of a loved one but I think it's even harder when you've devoted all your time to caring for them and have to rediscover a life of your own.

#186823 - 07/20/09 12:21 PM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Mountain Ash Offline

Your friend sounds just like my friend who also had a long term caring role.
May I ask have you always given that time or like me did you find out that it was essential.
I like that you have shared...
Yes..I savour days out and look forward to returning home with a bit of outside energy in my being.

#187264 - 07/28/09 12:05 PM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: Mountain Ash]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
In thinking back, I don't think I always made time for myself, but eventually I found out how much it was needed and it became a priority.
A change of pace, a change of scenery, some good laughs with friends, and I come home with renewed energy and a better outlook!

#187266 - 07/28/09 01:05 PM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
So true. Sometimes all we need is a break in the action. There are times when all it takes for me is walking out the door, getting some fresh air, and maybe going around the block. The outdoors can totally change my mood for the better.

#187283 - 07/28/09 02:06 PM Re: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Get some enjoyment out of each day. Life is precious. Time flies.
Okay. Okay. So cliches are getting on your nerves. Truth is
truth, even if you've heard it a million times.

#187357 - 07/29/09 06:43 PM Cross-stitch: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: CrosstitchQueen
I know about having to care for others. My husband is a quadraplegic. My mother is 87 and lives 30 minutes away. I have two dogs that think I'm Mom.
A good friend of mine recently lost her quadraplegic husband after 20+ years of marriage. She did EVERYTHING for him.........got him up,showered, dressed, cut up his food, put him into his wheelchair, combed his hair, you name it. They had a very loving relationship, it was obvious they adored each other, but now he's gone, and the adjustment she is going thru to the change in her life is major. She devoted so much of her time to his wants and needs that she doesn't know how to put herself first anymore. She told me the other day that it felt so strange to be able to get up, showered, dressed and out of the house in 45 minutes. It's hard enough to deal with the loss of a loved one but I think it's even harder when you've devoted all your time to caring for them and have to rediscover a life of your own.

Cross-stitch, I worked for 3 years in one of Canada's biggest rehabilitation hospitals devoted exclusively to care of spinal cord injured adult patients.

Hospital treats both paraplegics and quadriplegics.

I was a medical librarian at that (much) earlier time in my career. We also had professional psychiatrist, social workers on staff as part of the patient care teams, to handle pyscho-social problems experienced by the patient and their immediate family members.

I am aware that the rate of marital success/happiness among paraplegics and quadriplegics is challenged severely if there is a sudden lifelong traumatic injury sustained by the patient that results in either paraplegia or quadriplegia. The role of the able-bodied partner changes in the marriage. Someimes the marriages fall apart.

you must have your own support group of other like-oriented caregivers. It's great that you take time daily for physical exercise. It is necessary.

#187358 - 07/29/09 06:57 PM Re: Cross-stitch: Taking care of yourself this summer! [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

I was taught that more females remain as carers and that one in three marriages disolve after the partner is changed by disability.
Likewise parents whose marriage/partnership changes when the child is or becomes disabled often part.
That is one reason facilitating life stories for those involved has to be handled sensitivly..It can cause setbacks for the participant when touched on without backup if upset is caused.
Journaling is one example..time lines another...allowing student to question a cared for person is a sensitive area also..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved