The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#186380 - 07/13/09 01:35 AM Re: Whose style of dressing do you admire? [Re: Sadie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Sadie sent me shopping for shoes last summer. She told me my shoes should not hurt my feet. And she recommended a couple of shoe manufacturers, but now I forget who they were. Anyway, I went to both of the different shoe stores she recommended, and I tried on dozens of shoes. I was looking for Mary Jane style with a heel for dress wear. I spent HOURS getting my feet analyzed, and on another day, HOURS trying to fit a certain pair of Mary Janes. He added heel pads, toe pads, arch supports, cushions, and just within 15 minutes of wear, in the store, they hurt my feet. I do not know how I ever worked in retail, 9 hours a day, in typical Nine West heels. Hmm, guess that didn't work out so well because I ended up with hammer toe surgery. Now that it is summer I can get away with sandals. I went to the grasshopper site, and there seems to be some fun styles. Also, my 93 year old great-aunt loves wearing Sketchers. Maybe I should live in the Bahamas wear I can wear sandals all day!

#186381 - 07/13/09 01:42 AM Re: Whose style of dressing do you admire? [Re: orchid]
Princess Lenora Offline

My mother was too petite to wear shoulder pads, which came on every item of clothing in the 1800s, I mean 1980s. So she would pull out the shoulder pads. And guess what. She saved them, she saved the shoulder pads in clear plastic shoe boxes. Some of the shoulder pads go to dresses she no longer has, but she still has the shoulder pads. And she must have 400 pairs of shoes. She was a sharp, sharp dresser. I was reading her yearbook from 1949, and all the entries from the girls mentioned how well she dressed. They called her Venus. I actually love fashion, up to a point, and I like experimenting with different styles at different times in my life. Like what Orchid says, a dress code was required at certain jobs. Now I'm a free for all!

#186395 - 07/13/09 01:34 PM Re: Whose style of dressing do you admire? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
yonuh, Stilettos to Birkenstocks - sounds like a good book.

princess, I remember cutting shoulder pads out of clothes in the 80s, but I didn't keep them.

My problem is that I work form home so I am totally casual. If anythign, I'm under-dressed. BUt I'd much rather be comfy so it doesn't bother me.

#186431 - 07/14/09 12:45 AM Re: Whose style of dressing do you admire? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You and me both Dotsie. I think the last time I got all dressed up was for a dance. Thats another reason I stay single, no makeup to wear daily, no fancy hairdo, no special clothing. Its just me and my fluffy, comfortable self.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#186470 - 07/14/09 03:42 PM Re: Whose style of dressing do you admire? [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

I found comfortable and stylish flat open backed sandals from "eurowellness" and I love them! But what to do in winter? I had the same pairs of Clark's ankle boots for 3 years. During those 3 years, as Dotsie said, my feet spread. So at the end of this past winter, I gave the boots away. I'm hoping Clark's has similar boots this next season. Do you remember "Buffalo" sandals that you soaked in a tub of water before wearing? How strange was that? Oh, the shoes I was trying on for hours was SAS, at Good Feet. I was disappointed that I could not find a comfortable fit, because they look so comfortable. How about Sketchers?

#186489 - 07/14/09 09:01 PM Re: Whose style of dressing do you admire? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mountain Ash Offline

I bought Sketchers in May and keep them for special...going to town.. galleries and theatre they suit my feet and for the first time in ages I feel i am wearing really fun shoes..on looking further there are many others I like in the range.I have Fly flot sandals which are fine for mid summer..I have retired my higher shoes and will slowly select the funky Sketchers as the season changes.
My feet ache by evening and now I know what my Aunts meant as they kicked off their town shoes..my cousins and I would delight in slipping the high heels on and clipping around..They also wore hats..such a stylish era (The fifties)

#186500 - 07/14/09 10:58 PM Re: Whose style of dressing do you admire? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I used to wear Birkenstocks at home all the time, and i think that's the reason my feet got wider. Now my feet actually feel better if the shoe is a tight fit on the sides. It seems to push things back into place.

I love jeans. Do really old people in America wear jeans? You don't see anyone in senior homes wearing jeans here. I know I'll break that custom.

#186509 - 07/14/09 11:48 PM Re: Whose style of dressing do you admire? [Re: Edelweiss3]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I live, as you might know, in an all senior resort park and many of the really older women wear not only jeans, but custom, butt hugging styles. They wear bathing suits and shorts and pedal pushers as well. We are a frisky, and crazy bunch. Oh and when I say older, I mean from 60 to 90 years. And did I mention how cute we all are???

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#186514 - 07/15/09 01:12 AM Re: Whose style of dressing do you admire? [Re: orchid]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Princess,
Yes, I love the Grasshopper shoes . I get the slip on shoes in a 7Wide . Have watch the width of these shoes . They have an arch in the shoe with most shoes don't have now days . I walk everywhere in them an sandals are wonderful to. Hope they work for you . I have them in all colors to match my slacks .

Oh, those thong shoes only wear them for a pedicure back to the car and that is it . Hurts the toes and makes my shin red. Yikes ! I wear Easy Spirit for walking and they are having a sale on walking tennis shoes now . Good buys on their web site too.

Sadie

#186593 - 07/16/09 02:33 PM Re: Whose style of dressing do you admire? [Re: Sadie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
MA, I have soem preicous pictures of my younger sister and her friends in my mom's heels , clothes and hats. THat was such a fun time.

EW, I haven't seen jeans at my FIL's residence either. BOomers will definitely change that. Most of the wome there still dress, even though they don't always match everything due to dementia, they still look nice in their dresses, skirts and occasional pant suits.

Sadie, I wear lots of sandals in the summer, but on days when I know I'm just going to be around the house, I wear my Nike tenners with good support and sole inserts. Then when I go out, I'll slip on sandals. In the past, I only wore tenners for walking.

chatty, I think you need to have a BWS reunion in your resort park. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved