The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 118 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#185626 - 07/01/09 09:07 PM Re: BF has grown moocher son living with him [Re: LoraE]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Madelaine: Hope it all works out for son in his new place for awhile.

Kate: Those young men you have met in that company, so far they sound immature. But then we don't know how much they help around home if they aren't paying rent or helping out abit in paying for some groceries.

My parents did ask for small amount of money when we were living at their place since the hard reality they are low income folks.

But anyway, Kate sounds like you're learning lots where you are.

As a slight segue from thread, since we have been talking about young men, may I offer a situation of an adult woman:

She is semi-close friend I've known since teens. She is my age...yes 50.

She is single, childless and during this whole time she has lived under her parents' roof in the same town where she grew up. Actually her mother died in car accident when friend was in late 20's. But way before that, when friend was 18, her elder sister drowned while vacationing in Acapulco. It was a terrible tragedy which many students at our high school mourned because dead sister was very bright, popular,etc. Death of her sister had a powerful negative impact on family for many years thereafter.

I believe my friend has lived in her parents' home all these DECADES, because she probably feels tremendous responsibility to be around.. I know friend does contribute to family household, since I've been with her where she is giving groceries to father (who is in excellent health at 80+).

over the years, I've suggested it is best she get her own place close to parent's place. But never really asked much there, because after all, I've never lost a sister at a young age due to sudden tragedy.

So this example is not necessarily culturally based since she is born in Canada like myself, nor financial but because of unique family situations.

She is semi-close friend, because she and I have life's paths that have diverged alot after we each turned 21 yrs. So we enjoy each other's company whenever she and I get together but there is a natural life experience barrier that our friendship can't surmount. But that's ok. I ask nothing more from her but good friendship.

Sorry for this topic hijack. But it fits under "parental home" living, as a daughter.

#185635 - 07/02/09 01:57 AM Re: BF has grown moocher son living with him [Re: ]
LoraE Offline

Anne, I'm not sure if we're okay or not at this point. He's fighting a kidney stone and I haven't heard too much from him since Saturday. It sounded like he had disciplined his son, but who knows? I'm just in the wait and see mode right now.

#185652 - 07/02/09 01:44 PM Re: BF has grown moocher son living with him [Re: LoraE]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Good luck there LoraE. WB lived with his folks into his 30s.
He had a good savings built up by the time we married. But now
he helps his aged mother, who is widowed. So in his case, one hand washed the other.

#185654 - 07/02/09 01:54 PM Re: BF has grown moocher son living with him [Re: jabber]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
that's interesting Jabber, I just read a report that said that kids that stay around longer tend to be the ones to take care of their parents later. Gives me something to look forward to, since both of mine stayed around longer!

#185661 - 07/02/09 02:33 PM Re: BF has grown moocher son living with him [Re: Madelaine]
jabber Offline

Madelaine,
I think it's great when kids respect their parents and give a
little back of what's been sacrificed to make sure they had
a good upbringing! Love the happy, happy, joy, joy...

#185691 - 07/02/09 06:49 PM Re: BF has grown moocher son living with him [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
jabber, I'm into the happy, happy, joy, joy thing too - in any situation.

Wondering how LoraE is doing today...

#185765 - 07/03/09 01:40 PM Re: BF has grown moocher son living with him [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Joyfully happy, I hope!

#185900 - 07/04/09 11:50 PM Re: BF has grown moocher son living with him [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Mre too, anyone heard from her?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#185952 - 07/05/09 03:40 PM Re: BF has grown moocher son living with him [Re: chatty lady]
LoraE Offline

I was at BF's house this weekend and everything went okay. His son went out of his way to be polite and respectful. Next week we're all going to visit BF's parents, who are in their late 80's, for one week. I love it up there and if we end up together, we may retire there.

I considered backing out of the trip, but I think it will be a good time for the three of us to work some things out. I like to fish and they're avid fishermen, however, I'll definitely give them their space to do the guy-bonding thing. And even though I like to fish, I'd also be happy to read a book in a chair next to the river.

Thank you for your responses last week. You helped me to see things from many different perspectives. I think BF confided in his bestfriend and his GF and I'm sure he's gotten another perspective too. There has been a few times when we've had a "discussion" about an issue and days later, he'll make a statement that tells me that he does get my point of view.

#185984 - 07/05/09 09:42 PM Re: BF has grown moocher son living with him [Re: ]
LoraE Offline

It was sort of a caregiving visit since BF had a kidneystone issue this for the past week. He wasn't extremely ill, just uncomfortable and not wanting to be caught out if the pain got too intense.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved