The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 168 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#179665 - 04/08/09 06:51 PM questions about midlife men
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We are in the process of scheduling an expert on midlife men. So that we can gear the teleseminar precisely to what we want to know about them, I thought I'd ask you.

What do you wnat to know about the mysteries behind baby boomer men?

Do they go through male menopause?

Why do some cheat at midlife?

Why do some become more distant at midlife?

What do you see as their biggest fears and concerns?

Anything along these lines, and I'm sure I'll get a few funny ones too, and that's okay!

#179679 - 04/08/09 09:06 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
What major changes do men want to and do make in their midlife and onward in their years?

What are the main drivers for these changes that men make in their lives? Is it related to improving health, sex, self-image, increasing salary, etc.

Do men develop closer relationships with other men when they get older? Or are they tired of hearing other guys complain? Do they feel comfortable talking to and hanging out with many guys several decades younger than they?

Do much older men feel more physically vulnerable..to attacks, thefts, when they are frailer? Or they don't feel this, until something happens to them?

For latter, I do think this might be where women differ alot than men, for the whole of their lifespan is in the area of personal safety.

#179683 - 04/08/09 09:26 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Correct me if you think I'm wrong but how on earth can we women answer these question better left to the men to answer???
We aren't men, how are we suppose to figure out what they are thinking and feeling??? Geesh, its hard enough to understand the men we are married to doncha' think?

Why not ask a panel of men these question and then pray you can get any of them to spill their guts and be truthful about anything that makes them look or sound vulnerable or soft!!!!!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#179704 - 04/08/09 11:18 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Chats, read what Dotsie said again...she didn't say what do you think the men bla...bla...bla....she said it's an opportunity for you to ask about WHAT WE WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THEM.

Not how THEY would react to the question, but what would you like to know about midlife men....

Like,

Would you like to know why they do certain things? React a certain way? For instance, I have a friend whose hubby came home one day and he had traded their perfectly good, paid for car in on a corvette...which she hates. Why did he do it?

I know another woman whose hubby never wanted adventure, or to travel. He walks in on his 50th b/day and announced he was leaving her and had cashed in his CD...he was going to live in Paris and basically walked out the door saying, "Ta Ta." She didn't have a clue...

So, what would you want to know? Anybody?

#179718 - 04/09/09 06:49 AM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: jawjaw]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
What is their perspective on women's struggles to achieve equality with men in the workplace etc. Do they feel threatened by it? In what way? Does a woman's claim to equality decreases a man's attitude on chivalry?

#179728 - 04/09/09 12:13 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Jed Diamond is going to answer these questions for us. Google him. He's the expert on male menopause. We've done one teleseminar with him in the past and it was awesome. It's archived in the Members Only area at www.NABBW.com.

The last time , he created the presentation. This time, he asked me to see what women wanted to know and then we'd tailor it to suit our audience. The first week, he'll share his insights and do a 15 minute Q/A. The second week will be an hour of him answering our questions.

#179767 - 04/09/09 03:01 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Does Jed think most men consider themselves mentally superior to the opposite sex? If yes, why?

#179781 - 04/09/09 06:01 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'll ask him!

#179810 - 04/09/09 10:36 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Oh I'm sorry, I read it wrong...Thanks JJ.

I would like to know why men think its okay to cheat even when they have a good wife at home who loves them?

I also want to know why men judge a book by its cover, never seeing the prose and/or poetry within?

#179846 - 04/10/09 02:08 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Great. Keep them coming.

#179885 - 04/10/09 10:30 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Okay heres one:

When do our darling little sons turn into these self absorbed, cheating, lying, skum bags? And why are the bad ones the norm?

#179896 - 04/11/09 01:48 AM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Why do they think they have to 'fix' everything that goes wrong in our lives?
What's wrong with just listening and being supportive?
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#179907 - 04/11/09 02:54 AM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: yonuh]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
To piggy back on Yonuh's...
What can a female do to get a male to listen, really listen and converse - interject thoughts of value, instead of 'yes, dear,' 'whatever you say,' 'hummm, I don't know' or nothing at all. That's the one thing lacking in my marriage, good confabs. My DH is a joker and loves talking to people, but to get a stimulating conversation going with him is almost not possible. And, for one that thinks a good conversation is as good as s##, I feel I've been cheated these past 35 years.

#179933 - 04/11/09 07:13 AM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: gims]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Gims want to do a husband swap for a week?

My husband is a news fanatic. He loves talking politics and especially the horrible things going on in this world. We’ll be playing golf on a beautiful day and he’ll call across the course, “ the death toll from the Earthquake in Italien is up to 200!!!!”

>>Boing<<

“Oh dear Hubby! I didn’t mean to aim the golf ball into your mouth!”

Or I’ll be half off into slumber land, sunning on a deck chair, when I hear him rushing over to me, rustling his newspaper and reading to me only the most horrible disgusting stuff.

When I grab it from him to make spit balls, he does get distracted. But he spits a lot further than I can, and is really grumpy about it. Why is that?

So….you give me your joking Hubby for a few days and you can have mine for a few days…and at the end of the week we will exchange our thoughts. I say men should be like marble cake…a little bitter chocolate a little creamy vanilla and a lot of sugar.

#179982 - 04/11/09 08:33 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: ]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
EW, it's a deal!
However, not only does yours have to bring the news, he must give his opinion about it. I want conversation, not just speak.

Same, anne327, I want 'stimulating' conversation, which goes beyond a 'listening' man - I need them to REALLY listen & THINK. DH listens, doesn't often remember what was said when I try to get him to recall later, so I'm assuming he doesn't REALLY listen. I tried the method of getting him to repeat what was said, for awhile. Took too much effort.
We rarely talk anymore, other than common... because I don't initiate as I use to.
I have to wait 'til we visit our oldest daughter & hers, so I can have healthy word rallies with my son-n-law.
I don't want all serious, but I do like conversations to have substance... When a young mother I didn't want to talk bottle sterilization, dirty diapers, or baby fashions. I'm still that way... needing something to chew on.

#181964 - 05/11/09 06:40 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: gims]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Ladies, don't forget to sign up for this teleseminar. You can read all about it and register HERE ! The teleseminar is next Tuesday, 19th May at 3:00 pm.

You can register through Monday, but not on Tuesday, so hurry on over!

#181978 - 05/11/09 07:55 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Is it 3 pm eastern time?? You may want to mention that.

#181979 - 05/11/09 08:09 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Di]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Yes, thank you Di....if you go to the page to register, it tells you there, but as with all of our teleseminars, it is EST (Eastern Standard Time)

#181993 - 05/11/09 10:30 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Added it to my calendar, this sounds like a good one. Its at noon for us out here in Pacific time.

#182452 - 05/17/09 11:34 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: jawjaw]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
A friend does not "do" emails/internet etc. But she wants to listen in. Can I just give her the info that I receive.....she is not a member here.

Thanks!

#182510 - 05/18/09 10:22 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Di]
Expat Offline

I'd like to join in on the teleseminar, but it doesn't seem to take my email address. Says it's not a valid format. Can someone help me, please?

#182512 - 05/18/09 11:43 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Expat]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I registered you. No problem. Watch your email for the details. I'll send that next.

#182515 - 05/19/09 12:52 AM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Di, yes you sure can.

chatty, I btet you could teach him a few things about midlife men after doing your calls all these years.

Hope to hear all of you on the call.

#182525 - 05/19/09 11:41 AM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: jawjaw]
Expat Offline

Details received with thanks, Jawjaw.

Looking forward to it!

#182548 - 05/19/09 07:02 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Expat]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Call in now if you want to hear the teleseminar!

#182554 - 05/19/09 09:12 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

This was one of my all-time favorites. Jed Diamond knows what he's talking about. He shared excellent information for women to better understand midlife men. I'll post a link when it's ready.

Please go to our homepage and register for part two of the series which will be questions from the audience.

#182559 - 05/19/09 09:53 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I called in using the numbers from the email yesterday, and I got in but after all the instructions all I could hear was music. I stayed on the line for 5 minutes but still nothing. I did click the star 6 but it said I had muted myself so then I hit star 0 and it said I was exiting the seminar, 1 or 2 to stay or go. I went!!! Somehow I did something wrong, drat this was one I wanted in on too. Isn't there a part 2 next Tuesday?

#182581 - 05/20/09 09:43 AM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: jawjaw]
Expat Offline

Thanks, Jawjaw. I was there and found it very, very interesting. I'd like to listen to Part 2 next week and will try registering again. If it fails, though would you be so kind as to assist me again?

Thanks.

#182582 - 05/20/09 09:48 AM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Expat]
Expat Offline

Nope, didn't work. For some reason, it still doesn't recognize my email format. confused

Jawjaw, can I please ask for your help again? Thank you very much.

Expat

#182584 - 05/20/09 12:02 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Expat]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, not sure what happened, but if it ever happens again, just call in again and try all over.

Don't worry, I'm going to post the sudio link here.

expat, glad you were on the call. Isn't he full of excellent information that helps?

I'm sure jj will help with with the second session.

#182586 - 05/20/09 12:46 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Yuhooooo, Expat! The reason it wouldn't take is that I had already registered you for the second part. I figured if you wanted to hear it as well, you'd be set to go, and if you didn't, you could simply not call in. So you are good to go!

#182612 - 05/20/09 08:26 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: jawjaw]
Expat Offline

Thanks very much for taking it upon yourself to register me, Jawjaw. I certainly wouldn't want to miss it. Sorry for not realizing the problem with the address, but I'm still an amateur when it comes to forums.

I agree with you Dotsie, Jed was very good. It is such a shame I hadn't known a lot of what he was saying years ago!

#182662 - 05/21/09 12:12 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Expat]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

That's why it's my mission to help him get the word out. Hopefully the timing will be right for many.

#182720 - 05/22/09 12:05 AM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

PLease remind me JJ if you will. Thanks!!!

#183034 - 05/26/09 02:51 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Bringing this back up because the Q/A seesion is today at 3:00 (EST).

Call in information is:

712-580-7706
code 7712076#

Please post any more questions you may have about mildife men if you can't be on the call and I'll be sure to ask on your behalf. Thanks.

#183037 - 05/26/09 03:00 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Dotsie]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most men are not the awful creatures that were described in earlier posts on this thread. I believe that by the time they get to be in their late 40's or 50's, the reason they are single is because they are losers ! The good ones are all taken!! Those of us with a good man aren't going to divorce him if we have any sense.
There are unfortunately more women than men, particularly in the older age groups, partially because men participate in riskier behavior then women at all ages and because more women than men survive birth and infancy. So, the older you are, the less of a chance there is for you to meet a quality single guy. hint: look for widowers!

#183062 - 05/26/09 06:08 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Madelaine]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Madelaine, I join you in sharing that my experience with men is different than some of the women have described in this post. I've been married to the love of my life for almost 30 years. I have total respect for him and he has total respect for me.

Unfortunately, not everyone is in the same boat so I will ask these questions of Jed and I know he will have excellent answers in return.

I happen to know a delightful man in his early 60s. HE's a great catch, and as youmention, he's a widower.

#183067 - 05/26/09 06:42 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Dotsie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I third that, Madelaine and Dotsie.

#183102 - 05/27/09 12:23 AM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

"Single being the new relationship is about being OK with oneness."

http://imsinglesowhat.wordpress.com/2007/10/11/being-ok-with-single-makes-relationships-easier/

Being single does not mean you must be subjected to a stereotype.

Edited by MustangGal (05/27/09 12:24 AM)

#183223 - 05/28/09 01:56 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

mustang, I love this sentence taken from the article posted above:

And if you have the attitude of not making that person in your life the solution to anything and see he or she as an asset to your life instead of a completion, I believe the trust and relationship can be stronger.

This is true in marriage too.

#183224 - 05/28/09 01:56 PM Re: questions about midlife men [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh, and I love your image!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved